1. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    Everyone is more than welcome to discuss the politics surrounding the issue provided they are doing so respectfully and stay on-topic. Racial stereotyping falls beyond those bounds and will be met with an appropriate response by the staff. It's really not that hard to understand - in fact, it's rather sensible and applies to the entirety of the forum, not just this thread.

2. Fugelmir

Fugelmir GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I disagree with that. The videos of looting depict folks of a certain race. I was saying that foreign collectivist media is leading people to that conclusion, including my girlfriend's mother -- which is dangerous and horrifying. Maybe I stated it poorly.

3. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I believe they are recommended, but not required. Pretty sure I remember that from the live.
    Also, i don't know to what extend is that marketing BS. Sure it's faster, but there's other bottlenecks (texture decompression comes to mind, i'm no expert) that might get in the way. I don't know if the difference will be -that- noticeable.
    Also 4.0 is noticeably hotter... at least on a PC.

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    I doubt top end ones will be required, rather they're simply optimal. Slightly slower loading times never killed anyone, we're already effectively skipping a generation by going from slow 5400 RPM hard drives to high end solid state.

5. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Italy
    Lmao at the people saying "Games shouldn't be political!1!!1!"...

ALL games are political.

ByteBite likes this.
  6. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    yeah screw that you can take the risk buying them Chinese bootleg drives i sure as well wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. official samsung, Kingston or WD are the only ones i would buy. when them knockoff drives blow up in your ps5 don't say i didn't warn you! :P

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Jun 2, 2020
  7. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

Germany
    All this long wordy discussion made me miss the "SOONY wait.believe" pun, spot on.

shaunj66 likes this.
  8. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I LOVE that we're going straight into NVMe. I truly believe this is the one major improvement on new gen consoles. People who never experienced how fast these things get are in for a surprise.

Kinda hope the Switch Pro gets one, assuming it's a home console only and not a handheld.

Foxi4 and RichardTheKing like this.
  9. RichardTheKing

RichardTheKing GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Black Lives Matter = a violent, racist mob.
    Sure, I agree with the basic premise - race shouldn't matter to one's success and life expectancy - but rioting? Burning places down, harming people, treating "whites" like acceptable targets for abuse? Screw that.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I personally never use the Switch as a handheld; it loses both visual and audible clarity, and I despise the JoyCons. I'd definitely be up for a "Switch Pro" if it's TV-only, though the name would be redundant (it wouldn't "switch" between modes anymore), but that's a problem the Lite's already facing.
    I'd also hope for another RCM entrypoint, so I can get my Checkpoint, EdiZon, and FTPD running.

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    To be fair, you can already upgrade the Switch's internal memory as long as you're willing to use modified modules. It would've been nice to see Nintendo using a more customer-friendly expansion method besides SD cards, but that'd be a first as far as mobile devices are concerned. You also have to consider the thermals - NVMe's can get pretty toasty. They have their reasons for using "built-in" memory, although having "higher" SKU's would be nice for those willing to spend extra penny for more storage - it doesn't fracture the user base. At least it's not soldered onto the board - that makes things easier for them and for us alike.
    This is simple advice for people on a budget. A Samsung FLASH module is a Samsung FLASH module. A controller is a controller. There's only a handful of foundries making this kind of silicon, those Chinese drives are, in all likelyhood, rolling off of the same assembly line as the branded ones, just after hours. I find it amusing that people would invest money in untested Chinese flashcards and modchips, they'll happily install firmware modified by anonymous third-parties, but they won't buy an off-brand product. I'm a firm believer in "Chinesium", which is how I call Chinese equivalents of far more expensive "western" products. Spoilers, they're all made in China. Yes, the quality is lower in many cases, but not always - things have changed a lot in the last couple of years as far as Chinese components are concerned.

To drive this point further, the SSD I was talking about was "Goldenfir" brand - it's using a Silicon Motion controller and Micron memory. It is, for all intents and purposes, a rebadged Crucial drive. This particular model is a SATA drive, but the point stands. The stigma is silly and immediately dispelled if you actually look at the PCB. The one thing "western" drives have on their Chinese counterparts is the proprietary software, and that is irrelevant in a machine like the PS5 which can't run it anyway. Don't treat this as an endorsement of the brand, off-brand products need additional research every time, but to say that they're all bad is a gross oversimplification.

Last edited by Foxi4, Jun 3, 2020
  11. Almightybigboyboy

Newcomer

United States
    That sucks

12. veenx0704

veenx0704 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I will be buying my ps5 when it becomes under $200. thx

13. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Hope you enjoy waiting until the PS5's EOL when the ps6 comes out with ps5 backwards compatibility

14. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

Canada
    The PS4 isn't even under $200 yet and it's been out for how many years now?

15. veenx0704

veenx0704 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I bought my PS4 for 199 USD in 2017 Black Friday

16. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

Canada
    Oh, right, American prices. Cheaper than Canadian prices.

17. nashismo

nashismo GBAtemp Fan

Chile
    So Sony playstation are disgusting globalist chills... I knew that already. Like the multibillion dollar globalist chill company they have become, they have to go in favor of the destruction. All of this global chaos sponsored by elite corporations, and here it shows once more, no need to ask Alex Jones about it, it is pretty evident.

18. RichardTheKing

RichardTheKing GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    *Shills, not chills, but they are indeed incredibly cold-hearted.
    Yeah, companies only "support" Movements like BLM and third-wave feminism in order to draw the least vocal controversy; it's the radical minority that don't care at all about egalitarianism, but rather tearing one group down until they're no longer an "issue", that unfortunately have the loud voices.

19. nashismo

nashismo GBAtemp Fan

Chile
    I don't know about loud voices, vocal minorities, vocal majorities or whatever. All I know, is that all these companies could make a pig sing opera, then shit in people's faces, and then make those same people applaud. Money talks I think it is the saying in english. All these things we are seeing in this world these last few years, are recreated fake crap. I have felt disappointed deeply about my fellow human brothers lately, the world REEKS on cowardice.

20. masterchan777

masterchan777 GBAtemp Fan

The new date for the event may have been leaked on Twitch : June 11th 9:00 PM BST

Last edited by masterchan777, Jun 8, 2020
    Fugelmir, Xzi and shaunj66 like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - announced, [UPDATE, event