PS4, Xbox One or Wii U - Which is your favourite controller of this gen?

Favourite controller of this generation

• PS4

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Wii U

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have.
The difference is not much, it still feels like the old PS3 one.
Outdated as hell.
What are you on about? Literally everything about the controller, from shape to layout, has been changed, dramatically so. If it feels the same to you then perhaps it's because it feels like a controller. If you put the four Dual Shock controllers side by side, you can spot the DS4 from a mile.

817d5Jm.jpg

If you can't see the difference between DS1/2/3 and the DS4, your only legitimate excuse would be being blind.

Reactions: chavosaur

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
What are you on about? Literally everything about the controller, from shape to layout, has been changed, dramatically so. If it feels the same to you then perhaps it's because it feels like a controller. If. You put the four Dual Shock controllers side by side, you can spot the DS4 from a mile.
Yeah, and DS4 is way more comfortable than DS3 plus when it comes to the triggers Sony's done a proper job this time around whereas DS3 had 'em quite flimsy.

The analogue sticks on the bottom no longer feel like a pain as they did for the previous iterations.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you on about? Literally everything about the controller, from shape to layout, has been changed, dramatically so. If it feels the same to you then perhaps it's because it feels like a controller. If you put the four Dual Shock controllers side by side, you can spot the DS4 from a mile.

817d5Jm.jpg

If you can't see the difference between DS1/2/3 and the DS4, your only legitimate excuse would be being blind.
Well except for all that in the info pic they are all the same :yayps3:

(Sarcasm)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
For me it would be the DS4 controller. I've put like 800 total hours or so in Dark Souls 2 with one and then thing has been extremely comfortable and still looks pristine. My only complaint is the battery life, but I don't really notice since I just have it plugged in 24/7.

The Xbone controller would be second place for me and what I'd prefer for shooters (if I ever actually used a controller for them for some stupid reason :lol:). Quite comfortable.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I was at Best Buy today and I picked up the PS4 controller. It is definitely different, in a good way. I like the longer "handles" (for lack of a better word), although they are still slightly too short for my hands. I was in a hurry so I didn't have time to test the X1 controller.

So far the Gamepad with the protective skin (NOT without it) is the most comfortable for me. The weight was a little strange at first, but I started to like the feel of something "substantial" in my hands. I just wish the battery life wasn't so terrible.

Hells Malice It's definitely a rip-off, and my first impression was that it was cheap because of how light it is, but it is actually very well designed. The battery life is great, I only have to charge it a few times a year. The small size is an issue for me, but like I stated earlier, that's a problem I have with all controllers besides the Gamepad.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The dualshock 4 is basically just a DS1/2/3 with sanded edges to look, frankly, a lot uglier. It does feel better to hold but it's still a meh/10.

Xbox stick placement is spot on. The wii60 pad and the dualshock have opposing awkwardness with their sticks. I'd say the dualshock is less awkward but they're both still poorly laid out.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So...the wiiu is about the wiiu pro controller, right? If not, the choice would've been easy for me (a gamepad with an actual SCREEN on it? Hell yeah!).

For me it's actually a draw between the PS4 and the wiiu pro controller. I use the former on my PC (using DS4windows...now inputmapper), the latter for nintendont. They're both very convenient, no hassle at all and last for many hours*.
If I really HAD to choose, I would go for the PS4 one. That trackpad may be a gimmick and I've yet to use the audio jack, but it does have that over the wiiu controller.

I've got no experience with the xbone controller (perhaps never even touched one in a store), but I'm not much of a fan of the 360 one.

*I use the PS4 controller in wired mode, so it's not saying anything about battery life. Only about long-term comfortability

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
While I haven't touched a Xbone controller, if everyone is saying feels the same as a 360 controller but better. then my choice is the Dualshock 4.

I have a point that nobody had mentioned and is the fact that taking in account that even Nintendo added an internal battery to his Wii U Pro controller Microsoft still lag behind requiring AA batteries or an optional rechargeable battery pack instead, giving the controller an unnecessary tumor in his back that get in the way and extra weight that feels wrong, same as the 360 controller, I at least expect the battery pack contains a lithium battery and not the nickel metal hydride the 360 battery packs hold. I also hope they fixed the position of the LB and RB buttons, those are in an uncomfortable position in the 360 controller. for the good side the D-Pad looks good this time around. all things said, I like to try it to give a final verdict.

Now the Wii U Pro is really comfortable to hold and you adjust to the layout on the first hour or so of gaming, the D-Pad is the best of this generation. battery life is eternal, rumble is very nice and is heavy enough to not say is cheap, unlike the Wii Classic Pro controllers.

My winner Dualshock 4 is excellent, boosting a new touchpad and the ability to plug your own headphones directly to the controller, oohh and a speaker..... nothing to brag about but is there, same for the disco light. the trigger were improved from the DS3 as well as an added gyro to the existing Sixaxis accelerometer, the rumble is softer it feels better and the D-Pad is the second best of this generation. obviously isn't perfect either and the battery life is the worst of the bunch(after the Wii U Gamepad, of course) and ditched pressure sensitive buttons.

Honorable mention to the Wii U Gamepad, is bigger than the rest(see what you guys did wanting everything to be bigger, now wait for the hulking mass of destruction a Wii U Gamepad XL would be) and even a rock knows the battery is terrible but you can't deny is surprisingly comfortable to hold, the digital triggers feel very natural in the position they are and the fact that the screen is quite useful(in the games that use it, that's it).
and for those complaining about triggers not being analog then count how many games that aren't racers use analog triggers properly, you'll end up using only one hand and maybe half your other hand counting.

looking more carefully you'll notice that Microsoft is the only one that contribute nothing to innovation, his controller is an almost exact replica of his previous iteration.

EDIT: WOW my 777 post. lucky I guess.....

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Wii U pro controller would take this if nintendo made the triggers analogue.

I don't like the Ps4 analogue placement. never have on the ps3/ps2 either but I do get used to it.
Xbox ONE is pretty good all rounder.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol