Gaming PS4 to play PS1, PS2 games locally through emulation!!!!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
PS1? Entirely possible. PS2? Uhh... Maybe? With very limited compatibility?

Unless they code an incredibly well-performing emulator, PS2 emulation on the PS4 doesn't seem very likely. Not impossible, but not likely either. Just look at the performance of PS2 emulators on PC for comparison - they're not perfect and they require pretty beefy machines, all things considered.

Then again, Sony knows their hardware in-and-out, perhaps they'll be able to squeeze some juice out of it. If it was possible to do so on late PS3's which don't have PS2 hardware on-board, the PS4 is not beyond the realm of possibility.

SoupaFace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS1? Entirely possible. PS2? Uhh... Maybe? With very limited compatibility?

Unless they code an incredibly well-performing emulator, PS2 emulation on the PS4 doesn't seem very likely. Not impossible, but not likely either. Just look at the performance of PS2 emulators on PC for comparison - they're not perfect and they require pretty beefy machines, all things considered.

Then again, Sony knows their hardware in-and-out, perhaps they'll be able to squeeze some juice out of it. If it was possible to do so on late PS3's which don't have PS2 hardware on-board, the PS4 is not beyond the realm of possibility.
I have an a10 5800k apu with 8 gb of 2133mhz ddr3 oc'd ram and I am able to play a multitude of ps2, gamecube and wii games; in fact im willing to bet that any 'classic' (games that would do well if re-sold now) ps2 game you can name that doesn't include shadow of the colossus, I can run 100% with at least 2x resolution even though all the games im currently playing i can play at 3x.

The PS4 uses a modified a10 6800k (all-around better tech than my apu albeit just slightly) apu and 8gb of ???? oc'd gddr5 ram. The improved specs combined with an 'official' emulation team containing people who i can only assume would be able to program a better emulator than pcsx2 (as you yourself said) makes this rumor highly plausible to me.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have an a10 5800k apu with 8 gb of 2133mhz ddr3 oc'd ram and I am able to play a multitude of ps2, gamecube and wii games; in fact im willing to bet that any 'classic' (games that would do well if re-sold now) ps2 game you can name that doesn't include shadow of the colossus, I can run 100% with at least 2x resolution even tho all the games im currently playing i can play at 3x.

The PS4 uses a modified a10 6800k (all-around better tech than my apu albeit just slightly) apu and 8gb of ???? oc'd gddr5 ram so the improved specs combined with an 'official' emulation team containing people who i can only assume would be able to program a better emulator than pcsx2 (as you yourself said) makes this rumor highly plausible to me.
Fair enough. I on the other hand attempted playing PS2 games on my i3-2330M with GeForce GT 520MX (1GB VRAM) and 4GB DDR3 RAM laptop and frankly the performance was less than satisfying. Seeing that the i3 generally performs better than AMD's budget APU's in the CPU department, I assumed that in the case of PS2 emulation, the assets may be insufficient, but hey - if Sony wraps up a nice, truly optimized emulator, it's within the realm of possibility. Of course my laptop can hardly be called a gaming rig, still, Intel CPU's tend to be more agreeable with emulators than AMD ones.

SoupaFace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough. I on the other hand attempted playing PS2 games on my i3-2330M with GeForce GT 520MX (1GB VRAM) and 4GB DDR3 RAM laptop and frankly the performance was less than satisfying. Seeing that the i3 generally performs better than AMD's budget APU's in the CPU department, I assumed that in the case of PS2 emulation, the assets may be insufficient, but hey - if Sony wraps up a nice, truly optimized emulator, it's within the realm of possibility. Of course my laptop can hardly be called a gaming rig, still, Intel CPU's tend to be more agreeable with emulators than AMD ones.
Yeh i think anyone who truly cares for pc emulation would be aware that intel cpu's have 3x the ipu's of an 'equivalent' amd cpu which are vitally important when emulating however (im no authority on laptop hardware but I do know this) this does not even slightly apply when talking about laptops / not even close to the same degree.

But yeah thinking back to the Wii's n64 VC emulation and the excellent official n64 emulator that came with the 3D Zelda ports on the Gamecube, which mupen64gc didn't even compare to, is really what makes this seem much more plausible from a software standpoint.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeh i think anyone who truly cares for pc emulation would be aware that intel cpu has 3x the ipu's of an 'equivalent' amd cpu which are vitally important when emulating however (im no authority on laptop hardware but I do know this) this does not even slightly apply when talking about laptops / not even close to the same degree.

But yeah thinking back to the Wii's n64 VC emulation and the excellent n64 emulator that came with the 3D Zelda ports on the Gamecube, which mupen64gc didn't even compare to, is really what makes this seem much more plausible from a software standpoint.
The "excellent ports of Gamecube software" are so "excellent" because the Wii U is based on the exact same family of hardware - crediar proved that the Wii U can run Gamecube code perfectly fine, so this is not an argument - the PS4 is nothing like a PS2. As for the "excellent" N64 emulator, it's really far from perfect and utilizes per-game patches which I mentioned before. Playing Rareware titles for example was completely impossible before Wii64 and Not64 came along.

Don't get me wrong - again, PS2 emulation is well-within the realm of possibility, just far from perfect, as it is the case on the PS3 (and no, I don't mean the scarce models that did have PS2 hardware on-board - those fare far better with it than later ones).

SoupaFace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "excellent ports of Gamecube software" are so "excellent" because the Wii U is based on the exact same family of hardware - crediar proved that the Wii U can run Gamecube code perfectly fine, so this is not an argument - the PS4 is nothing like a PS2. As for the "excellent" N64 emulator, it's really far from perfect and utilizes per-game patches which I mentioned before. Playing Rareware titles for example was completely impossible before Wii64 and Not64 came along.

Don't get me wrong - again, PS2 emulation is well-within the realm of possibility, just far from perfect, as it is the case on the PS3 (and no, I don't mean the scarce models that did have PS2 hardware on-board - those fare far better with it than later ones).

While admittedly I had completely forgotten that the Gamecube and Wii U ran on similar powerpc architecture, from what I understand the n64 did not use powerpc architecture meaning that the argument is still valid.

I don't know how similar the n64's ancient arm architecture compares to powerpc and how that compares to <insert ps2 architecture here> to the ps4's arch. which would really help this argument a lot yet I mostly was just pointing out a time in history at which an unofficial emulator was 1-up'd to the extreme by an official one which i can personally attest to it [nintendo's n64 emu 1.0] working waaaay better emulating super mario 64 than mupen64gc (regardless of the pre-patching / issues with saving on most other games) thus i could certainly see something similar happening with the ps2 emulation on the ps4.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
While admittedly I had completely forgotten that the Gamecube and Wii U ran on similar powerpc architecture, from what I understand the n64 did not use powerpc architecture meaning that the argument is still valid.

I don't know how similar the n64's ancient arm architecture compares to powerpc and how that compares to <insert ps2 architecture here> to the ps4's arch. which would really help this argument a lot yet I mostly was just pointing out a time in history at which an unofficial emulator was 1-up'd to the extreme by an official one which i can personally attest to it [nintendo's n64 emu 1.0] working waaaay better emulating super mario 64 than mupen64gc (regardless of the pre-patching / issues with saving on most other games) thus i could certainly see something similar happening with the ps2 emulation on the ps4.
I meant specifically 1:1 Gamecube software compatibility, N64 compatibility via various types of frameworks like Virtual Console is indeed achieved via emulation, but it's emulation with game-specific patches. Do note how injecting one game gives great results but injecting another does not - emulation is far from perfect and generally tailored towards a specific game which is why Virtual Console releases work perfectly fine wheras injected games are hit and miss. This is an approach that cannot be implemented in an emulator that's supposed to run anything you shove into the disc drive because it'd require implementing patches for almost 4000 PS2 games - this is not very sensible, practical or in fact feasible. PS2 Classics are far more likely since with those you can inject those game-specific patches. Direct compatibility with PS2 discs? Far more tricky.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The PS4 uses a modified a10 6800k (all-around better tech than my apu albeit just slightly) apu and 8gb of ???? oc'd gddr5 ram.
Not true. A10-6800K is based on Richland from Bulldozer family. PS4 and X1 uses Jaguar from Bobcat family.

Bobcat and Bulldozer are completely different designs. Nothing is remotely the same about them (Bobcat is more closer to older Phenom II and Intel CPU than Bulldozer). This is a common misconception, where people think Jaguar is just modified parts for desktop APU. Raw performance wise Jaguar is a lot weaker than PC parts. Because PC has a lot of overhead people assumed they share equal raw performance.

VC is 100% software emulation (except GBA game for 3DS). VC aims for playability, rather than accuracy. That's why each VC game uses custom tuned emulator, that only works for limited games (in case one injects ROM into it).

SoupaFace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant specifically 1:1 Gamecube software compatibility, N64 compatibility via various types of frameworks like Virtual Console is indeed achieved via emulation, but it's emulation with game-specific patches. Do note how injecting one game gives great results but injecting another does not - emulation is far from perfect and generally tailored towards a specific game which is why Virtual Console releases work perfectly fine wheras injected games are hit and miss. This is an approach that cannot be implemented in an emulator that's supposed to run anything you shove into the disc drive because it'd require implementing patches for almost 4000 PS2 games - this is not very sensible, practical or in fact feasible. PS2 Classics are far more likely since with those you can inject those game-specific patches. Direct compatibility with PS2 discs? Far more tricky.

I didn't realize that this rumor had anything to do with on emulating games based on the original physical media, I mean they could still do that but try and inform everyone of the growing computability list (I think 2nd gen ps3's that could accept ps2 disk data even had a ps2 computability list) but honestly I just assumed they would do this completely digitally.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I didn't realize that this rumor had anything to do with on emulating games based on the original physical media, I mean they could still do that but try and inform everyone of the growing computability list (I think 2nd gen ps3's that could accept ps2 disk data even had a ps2 computability list) but honestly I just assumed they would do this completely digitally.
Ah, well that clears that up then! :) I thought you meant emulating any randomly-selected PS2 game, aka PS2 disc compatibility. If you mean PS2 Classics then sure - doable, since in that case you can properly adjust the emulator. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol