PS4 sales surpass 18.5 million (sold to consumers)

emigre

Deck head
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
EzOnJMH.jpg

Here the headlines:

PlayStation 4 sales are now beyond the 18.5 million mark, according to Sony's announcement at CES 2015. The PS4's pubertal growth into the late teens (millions-wise) occurred in a prolific holiday season, with more than 4.1 million units shifted worldwide since November 23, 2014.

Sony's numbers represent the company's estimates of units sold to consumers, as opposed to retail shipments.

To contrast and compare, the PS3 shipped 10.5 million units within a similar timeframe, and the PS2 10.6 million units

[QUOTE more than 10.9 million users "have been taking advantage of the features and benefits" of Plus.[/QUOTE]

Source

I've got to say I'm surprised no one has posted this yet. The PS4 is really being a behemoth and with 2015 having a shit load of exciting gaems coming out, who knows how good sales will be?

Reactions: Gruntzer

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Well since this isn't in the flamebait thread...

Sounds about right. The PS4 is turning out to be a damn fine console, and has plenty of exclusives and third party games coming in 2015. It's nice to see Sony having a successful console launch, too.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Impressive numbers (that is, compared to the PS3 and PS2). And according to vgchartz, they're roughly total the sold xbones and wiiu's combined. Again: impressive.

I'm kind of scratching my head at their actual profit, though. With their console selling at a loss* and plus in the long run affecting sales (people with lots of accumulated free games are less inclined to keep buying new stuff), I'm wondering to what degree this number spells out great news for sony. :unsure:

*note: I'm assuming this is still the case. Please correct me if wrong

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Impressive numbers (that is, compared to the PS3 and PS2). And according to vgchartz, they're roughly total the sold xbones and wiiu's combined. Again: impressive.

I'm kind of scratching my head at their actual profit, though. With their console selling at a loss* and plus in the long run affecting sales (people with lots of accumulated free games are less inclined to keep buying new stuff), I'm wondering to what degree this number spells out great news for sony. :unsure:

*note: I'm assuming this is still the case. Please correct me if wrong
The hardware teardown for the PS4 shows that it costs $381 total to make, so Sony would make a whole $18 of a profit off of the hardware. The loss they announced ages ago before the PS4 released, I assume, was referring to the R&D costs adding to the production costs. So they at least make a bit of profit off of each console produced, just not near enough that they'd like.

Also, there's a big gaping problem with your assumption that PS+ affects game sales whatsoever: PS+ games, so far, have been utter garbage for the PS4. You can take a look at them here, literally the only games of note on that entire list would be The Binding of Isaac and InFamous: First Light that was added just this month. If you think those ~30 (almost all indie) games will stop gamers from buying CoD or Dragon Age or whatever else then you're poorly mistake :lol:

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hardware teardown for the PS4 shows that it costs $381 total to make, so Sony would make a whole $18 of a profit off of the hardware. The loss they announced ages ago before the PS4 released, I assume, was referring to the R&D costs adding to the production costs. So they at least make a bit of profit off of each console produced, just not near enough that they'd like.

Also, there's a big gaping problem with your assumption that PS+ affects game sales whatsoever: PS+ games, so far, have been utter garbage for the PS4. You can take a look at them here, literally the only games of note on that entire list would be The Binding of Isaac and InFamous: First Light that was added just this month. If you think those ~30 (almost all indie) games will stop gamers from buying CoD or Dragon Age or whatever else then you're poorly mistake :lol:

Injustice was a good addition though.

Honestly though PS+ is less of an add-on now that it's required for online play, so these are more "bonuses" rather than "features". That being said, I think in time we'll get some bigger releases once games are old enough that they're past their profitability margin. I'd say this year I think we'll see launch titles hit PS+ (Knack and Killzone for example).

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

I'm not convinced a hardware teardown is complete enough to measure in all costs of production. R&D, shipment, loans of factory workers...there's a lot you can leave out of the equation if one wants to be creative about it. Sure, those costs don't ramp up as fast compared to the millions of sales, but with just 18 bucks in reserve, I'm at best willing to settle for a "break even" on this part.

Agreed on the part about PS+, though.
(note: those games certainly aren't "utter garbage"...but it's certainly true that nobody buys a PS4 to play Indy games).

emigre

Deck head
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not convinced a hardware teardown is complete enough to measure in all costs of production. R&D, shipment, loans of factory workers...there's a lot you can leave out of the equation if one wants to be creative about it. Sure, those costs don't ramp up as fast compared to the millions of sales, but with just 18 bucks in reserve, I'm at best willing to settle for a "break even" on this part.

IIRC Sony have already made back their money on R&D. When system launched, they only needed one gaem sold with a system to break even. Coupled with additional PS+ revenue, I think SCE are doing alright.

(note: those games certainly aren't "utter garbage"...but it's certainly true that nobody buys a PS4 to play Indy games).

I did!

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

So Gamestop et al sell the console for absolutely no profit whatsoever, how nice of them! :lol:
Also, how dare you call Resogun utter garbage......!

3rd mistake: PS Plus is actually a huge, guaranteed monthly wad of cash for Sony: 10.9 million Plus users? Let's say all of them pay roughly $40 per year (given exchange rates, varying sub prices/durations etc this is a modest figure in my opinion) that's a minimum of $476 million per year...... just short of $40 million per month! Huge figure, and it will only rise as time goes by too.

So yeah, agreed with you, SCE is doing very well with the PS4. Not for the reasons you mentioned though! :lol: Let's hope the problems much of the rest of Sony are facing don't effect it though (thankfully there's very little chance of that happening)

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
That's good but as a customer and gamer I'm more interested that they release quality exclusives for PS4 (which is why there's three different consoles with their own exclusives as their selling points).

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
why is it we are like animals when discuss consoles....

but when we discuss other projects we seem to be Neurosurgery professors?

crossing his finger that this turns to a Wii U vs PS4 thread :tpi:

anyway.

I have a good collection of PS4 games thanks to PS plus so you can add 1 to that 18.5 million in the future.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Has no gaemz tho ;O;
When is Brokenclub going to be available for PS Plus users? But seriously they promised DriveClub for PS Plus and they never delivered it.

I'm thinking about buying PS4 for Dragon Ball: Xenoverse (avail: 360, PS3, PS4, PC, XO) but it can wait, I'd rather play Xenoblade Chronicles X, Zelda, Yoshi's Wooly World, Splatoon and some others before on my Wii U despite that DB:XV is easily one of the best Dragon Ball fighting game in years (7 years precisely).

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm actually confused as to how the PS4 is selling so many games without a strong exclusive library already out there. Its basically riding on the 1080p third party port ride at the moment. God knows how successful its going to be once the blockbuster Sony first party games start rolling out.

Just proves how big of an impression the PS3 had last-gem once they released cheaper versions of the console
AND
just how good Sony's marketing is.

Tiffani

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'd be nice if Sony tried to make PSN not be a flaming hunk of shit that goes down when someone sneezes in the same room. They seem to have issues at least once a week.

Reactions: Digital.One.Entity

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, My friend passed away 3 days ago. :( +1