PS4 sales surpass 18.5 million (sold to consumers)

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by emigre, Jan 10, 2015.

1. emigre
    OP

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London
    [​IMG]

Here the headlines:

[QUOTE more than 10.9 million users "have been taking advantage of the features and benefits" of Plus.[/QUOTE]

Source

I've got to say I'm surprised no one has posted this yet. The PS4 is really being a behemoth and with 2015 having a shit load of exciting gaems coming out, who knows how good sales will be?

Gruntzer likes this.

2. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    They have :tpi:

Gahars likes this.
  3. ShawnTRods

ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Broke the record of PS2?
    Interesting :D

4. emigre
    OP

Jan 28, 2009
    London

But I ain't flamebaiting, I am trying to provide valuable news for our community...:tpi:

xwatchmanx likes this.
  5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Well since this isn't in the flamebait thread...

Sounds about right. The PS4 is turning out to be a damn fine console, and has plenty of exclusives and third party games coming in 2015. It's nice to see Sony having a successful console launch, too.

6. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Impressive numbers (that is, compared to the PS3 and PS2). And according to vgchartz, they're roughly total the sold xbones and wiiu's combined. Again: impressive.

I'm kind of scratching my head at their actual profit, though. With their console selling at a loss* and plus in the long run affecting sales (people with lots of accumulated free games are less inclined to keep buying new stuff), I'm wondering to what degree this number spells out great news for sony. :unsure:

*note: I'm assuming this is still the case. Please correct me if wrong

7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    The hardware teardown for the PS4 shows that it costs $381 total to make, so Sony would make a whole $18 of a profit off of the hardware. The loss they announced ages ago before the PS4 released, I assume, was referring to the R&D costs adding to the production costs. So they at least make a bit of profit off of each console produced, just not near enough that they'd like.

Also, there's a big gaping problem with your assumption that PS+ affects game sales whatsoever: PS+ games, so far, have been utter garbage for the PS4. You can take a look at them here, literally the only games of note on that entire list would be The Binding of Isaac and InFamous: First Light that was added just this month. If you think those ~30 (almost all indie) games will stop gamers from buying CoD or Dragon Age or whatever else then you're poorly mistake :lol:

8. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

Injustice was a good addition though.

Honestly though PS+ is less of an add-on now that it's required for online play, so these are more "bonuses" rather than "features". That being said, I think in time we'll get some bigger releases once games are old enough that they're past their profitability margin. I'd say this year I think we'll see launch titles hit PS+ (Knack and Killzone for example).

9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I'm not convinced a hardware teardown is complete enough to measure in all costs of production. R&D, shipment, loans of factory workers...there's a lot you can leave out of the equation if one wants to be creative about it. Sure, those costs don't ramp up as fast compared to the millions of sales, but with just 18 bucks in reserve, I'm at best willing to settle for a "break even" on this part.

Agreed on the part about PS+, though.
    (note: those games certainly aren't "utter garbage"...but it's certainly true that nobody buys a PS4 to play Indy games).

10. emigre
    OP

Jan 28, 2009
    London

IIRC Sony have already made back their money on R&D. When system launched, they only needed one gaem sold with a system to break even. Coupled with additional PS+ revenue, I think SCE are doing alright.

I did!

11. SushiKing

SushiKing GBAtemp Fan

Apr 24, 2013
    i must be the only one without a ps4 ;(

12. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    So Gamestop et al sell the console for absolutely no profit whatsoever, how nice of them! :lol:
    Also, how dare you call Resogun utter garbage......!

3rd mistake: PS Plus is actually a huge, guaranteed monthly wad of cash for Sony: 10.9 million Plus users? Let's say all of them pay roughly $40 per year (given exchange rates, varying sub prices/durations etc this is a modest figure in my opinion) that's a minimum of $476 million per year...... just short of $40 million per month! Huge figure, and it will only rise as time goes by too.

So yeah, agreed with you, SCE is doing very well with the PS4. Not for the reasons you mentioned though! :lol: Let's hope the problems much of the rest of Sony are facing don't effect it though (thankfully there's very little chance of that happening)

13. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    That's good but as a customer and gamer I'm more interested that they release quality exclusives for PS4 (which is why there's three different consoles with their own exclusives as their selling points).

14. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    why is it we are like animals when discuss consoles....

but when we discuss other projects we seem to be Neurosurgery professors?

Warning: Spoilers inside!

anyway.

I have a good collection of PS4 games thanks to PS plus so you can add 1 to that 18.5 million in the future.

15. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Has no gaemz tho ;O;

16. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    When is Brokenclub going to be available for PS Plus users? But seriously they promised DriveClub for PS Plus and they never delivered it.

I'm thinking about buying PS4 for Dragon Ball: Xenoverse (avail: 360, PS3, PS4, PC, XO) but it can wait, I'd rather play Xenoblade Chronicles X, Zelda, Yoshi's Wooly World, Splatoon and some others before on my Wii U despite that DB:XV is easily one of the best Dragon Ball fighting game in years (7 years precisely).

17. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    This is starting to become quite similar to the sixth generation.

PS2 = PS4
    Wii U = Gamecube
    XBONE = Xbox

RodrigoDavy and WiiCube_2013 like this.
  18. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
  19. aofelix

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    I'm actually confused as to how the PS4 is selling so many games without a strong exclusive library already out there. Its basically riding on the 1080p third party port ride at the moment. God knows how successful its going to be once the blockbuster Sony first party games start rolling out.

Just proves how big of an impression the PS3 had last-gem once they released cheaper versions of the console
    AND
    just how good Sony's marketing is.

20. Tiffani

Tiffani GBAtemp Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    United States
    It'd be nice if Sony tried to make PSN not be a flaming hunk of shit that goes down when someone sneezes in the same room. They seem to have issues at least once a week.

Digital.One.Entity likes this.