Hacking PS4 Pro - two HHDs possible? 1. running 5.05 jailbroken, 2. running 5.5 and have PSN access?

alertipo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys I am new to the scene so hear me out:

I already have a PS4 Pro running 5.05 and jailbroken. I have never log onto PSN or even have a Sony online user profile for that matter on this particular system (it's jailbroken straight out of the package). The problem I have is I want to play certain games that I paid for in online mode on PS Plus network. Obviously with everything I read so far that's not possible as my current system can never sign into PSN.

But... what if I swap out the current drive and put in a new drive, initialize it to 5.5 using USB install, and sign into PSN to play the game that I paid for? So far so good right?

The issue is I don't know what would happen if I swap the new HDD (5.5) out to the old HDD (5.05 jailbroken) - would everything still work on the jailbroken system? And what would happen if I swap the new HDD (5.5) in again?

If this method does work (which I imagine isn't the case right now) - what's preventing someone from developing a tool that make it work? Keep in mind the old drive was always offline as far as Sony is concerned...

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
System firmware isn't determined based off your HDD. It would be too easy if it were.

Last edited by 59672, , Reason: clarified post
Reactions: Sparkss

alertipo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's imposible because the PS4 just recive only 1 HDD/SDD format and System located in there.

Ok I figure it won't be easy. So we do know the system firmware is stored on the HDD b/c Sony says so:

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/g...are/storage---data/upgrade-playstation-4-hdd/

"After the HDD has been replaced, the system software must be reinstalled. Using a computer, save a system software update file for reinstallation to a USB storage device."

But does 1) PS4 has some type of checksum mechanism to ensure the HDD connected to it now matches the one it remembers or 2) any time you disconnect a HDD it will ask you to reinstall system firmware the next time it detects a HDD is connected, regardless of whether it was the original HDD?

2) seems very user unfriendly... so if it's 1) is there a way to fake the checksum/signature?

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nope.

Can’t be done.

If the games were available on 5.05 when you were on psn with the other console, search to see if they have been dumped and fpkgd by other people on other websites (no piracy here).

The PS4 does indeed remember the FW it was on, and if you put in one hdd and update, you can never put back in the lower fw one without reinstalling 5.5x again.

It’s a fail safe so consoles aren’t so simple to downgrade.

alertipo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope.

Can’t be done.

If the games were available on 5.05 when you were on psn with the other console, search to see if they have been dumped and fpkgd by other people on other websites (no piracy here).

The PS4 does indeed remember the FW it was on, and if you put in one hdd and update, you can never put back in the lower fw one without reinstalling 5.5x again.

It’s a fail safe so consoles aren’t so simple to downgrade.

Thanks. This particular game is more fun in online mode when you hunt with other ppl (Monster Hunter World).

The ultimate goal here isn't even to downgrade but somehow fool the PS4 into thinking that there are 2 separate legit HDDs and both can be connected to it (one being jailbroken the other one not). Basically it's an inexpensive way of buying 2 separate PS4s.

What if we were to "spoof" the jailbroken HDD's system firmware to be 5.50? Keep in mind I don't ever intend to get that one online - it is for the sole purpose of after formatting the 2nd HDD to be 5.50 and then reinsert the first one (5.05 faked to be 5.5) it won't ask me to install 5.5.

I suppose a simple test would be to 1) eject the first drive (5.05 jailbroken), 2) insert a 2nd HDD and install 5.05 system firmware, 3) reinsert the first drive - what would happen then?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. This particular game is more fun in online mode when you hunt with other ppl (Monster Hunter World).

The ultimate goal here isn't even to downgrade but somehow fool the PS4 into thinking that there are 2 separate legit HDDs and both can be connected to it (one being jailbroken the other one not). Basically it's an inexpensive way of buying 2 separate PS4s.

What if we were to "spoof" the jailbroken HDD's system firmware to be 5.50? Keep in mind I don't ever intend to get that one online - it is for the sole purpose of after formatting the 2nd HDD to be 5.50 and then reinsert the first one (5.05 faked to be 5.5) it won't ask me to install 5.5.

I suppose a simple test would be to 1) eject the first drive (5.05 jailbroken), 2) insert a 2nd HDD and install 5.05 system firmware, 3) reinsert the first drive - what would happen then?

Spoofing is just to trick the system to not bug you about system update, nothing else, don't waste your time on it, system firmware info are stored on the NAND/NOR of the system, if you update the system remember the firmware version, that why there is no downgrade.

Reactions: KiiWii and alertipo

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@alertipo your fighting a losing battle here mate.

Not going to achieve what you want. What your suggesting has been suggested and proven not to work countless times.

Don’t forget we have been through 1.76 backups, 4.05, 4.55 and now 5.05: a lot has been tried already, search the forums and see.

Look; Monster hunter works on 5.05, play it offline.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to play certain games online you can buy a second unit if you have the money, then again Monster Hunter World can be played single campaign offline.

Reactions: KiiWii

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firmware, just like all other consoles this gen, is locked by burning fuses. Once firmware is upgraded, the system physically burns a fuse to prevent lower firmware from ever running again. We would need an exploit to cold boot custom firmware to get around that, and that doesn't look likely to happen anytime soon.

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Firmware, just like all other consoles this gen, is locked by burning fuses. Once firmware is upgraded, the system physically burns a fuse to prevent lower firmware from ever running again.

Not confirmed on PS4, for sure not on PS3. IIRC, on PS3 eFuses were used to encode consoleID, but not FW versions...

About the original question, a small part of the FW is flashed in the console EEPROM, the rest is stored in one or more of the numerous HD's partitions (well, there are two independent systems, two different CPUs architectures, so there are two FWs, and so on).

Reactions: Sparkss and KiiWii

alertipo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not confirmed on PS4, for sure not on PS3. IIRC, on PS3 eFuses were used to encode consoleID, but not FW versions...

About the original question, a small part of the FW is flashed in the console EEPROM, the rest is stored in one or more of the numerous HD's partitions (well, there are two independent systems, two different CPUs architectures, so there are two FWs, and so on).

Ok I get downgrade is not possible. But let's say hypothetically 5.5 is jailbroken... what happens if you swap out the 1st drive and format a 2nd drive to be 5.5 and sign in online etc. - can you then put back in the 1st drive? Just for my own curiosity...

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I get downgrade is not possible. But let's say hypothetically 5.5 is jailbroken... what happens if you swap out the 1st drive and format a 2nd drive to be 5.5 and sign in online etc. - can you then put back in the 1st drive? Just for my own curiosity...

By the time the exploit get released to the public there will be higher firmware, signing in require updates, that how the ps4 jailbreak always been, highest public exploitable firmware is still behind highest availability system firmware.

alertipo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the time the exploit get released to the public there will be higher firmware, signing in require updates, that how the ps4 jailbreak always been, highest public exploitable firmware is still behind highest availability system firmware.

I completely agree with you on that but that's not where I was going. If it's possible to swap a HDD for another HDD with equivalent firmware version, then all it takes then is for someone come out with a modified 5.05 system firmware - basically it would be a special "faked" 5.05 that we install which actually tells the EEPROM to "burn the fuses" of the PS4 to 5.5 (or whatever the latest version is, even though it's actually 5.05) - wouldn't HDD swap be possible then?

See where I am getting at?

Now I am pretty sure that's been thought of already and proven to be a dead end but just for my benefit I'd like to know why that's all.

Last edited by alertipo,

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I completely agree with you on that but that's not where I was going. If it's possible to swap a HDD for another HDD with equivalent firmware version, then all it takes then is for someone come out with a modified 5.05 system firmware - basically it would be a special "faked" 5.05 that we install which actually tells the EEPROM to "burn the fuses" of the PS4 to 5.5 (or whatever the latest version is, even though it's actually 5.05) - wouldn't HDD swap be possible then?

So it's proved and understood that only swapping the HDSs is not enough to switch between FWs releases.

I've read of people dumping and flashing EEPROMs on PS4, but I don't recall what was their endgame and I repeat I don't know the feasibility cause I haven't actively searched for other people results. Having said that, you are required to dump the flash before the upgrade, as at the moment and for the foreseeable future there's no way to modify FWs (encryption keys, security chain, blah, blah, blah...).

Factor in the presence of two EEPROM to dump, flashing and dumping requires desoldering (unless you find a way to add a SOP/SOIC socket, if feasible) not forgetting planning, tools, skills and time, lot of time, the option to use two consoles doesn't look so bad...

Reactions: KiiWii and alertipo

LyuboA

Unknown Entity
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria

See where I am getting at?

Now I am pretty sure that's been thought of already and proven to be a dead end but just for my benefit I'd like to know why that's all.

i dont think you get it there cant be any HDD swaps like that and NO ONE will release Public Jailbreak that lets you go Online THIS will make alot of PROBLEMS for those guys with Sony we can see something like that (Online capable exploit) MAYBE after PS5 gets released not before that and probably not even then do you get it now
If you want ONLINE buy another console like everybody else or update the one you have
i got 3 PS4 Pro 1 for Online 1 for Jailbreak and 2nd one Jailbreak capable as a backup if something happens to my main Jailbreak capable console do you really think i wanted to buy all those consoles NO but we have NO OTHER CHOICE !!!
i Hope you really get it now cause what you are hoping for will NOT happen and if we get Online Jailbreak will be after several Years

Last edited by LyuboA,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a