PS4 PRO and The Complicated Console Market

tfxodkmqigi5aplyz819.jpg

Following up on yesterday’s announcement of the Playstation 4 Pro edition, I wanted to write about and discuss some of the after-effects that this release is going to have on the console market in general.

After watching the conference yesterday, it left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Not in the fact that the games look decidedly different, I have no complaints on visual aesthetic. Rather, I was particularly amused by the extent of over-explanation and bogged down information that had to be forced into our faces to differentiate and almost pitch WHY this system’s existence had to be justified.

I was also rather irked by the lovely little message I saw at the bottom of every PS4 demo. You may have caught a glimpse of it, and it is certainly something you will want to keep an eye out for:

CrxiUg9WcAA48Zx (1).jpg

We’re entering this weird middle ground now with consoles thanks to PS4 Pro, and the recently released Xbox One S. This weird, confusing space where games aren’t running on new gen hardware, but are still running on hardware that outperforms the original launch hardware only a couple years after release. This strange ecosystem that now has to separate itself from current hardware by showing every game we see from now on as running on the, “superior hardware,” as opposed to the old models.

Every game we see at any gaming conference now will most likely be showing the Pro version, leaving every early adopter to wonder, “What will it run like, look like, or even play like when I play it on my launch hardware?”

Now we live in a world where developers have to build their game even more times to get it working on old hardware, than make the shinier/faster versions for the newer hardware. As if the patching and DLC ecosystem wasn’t bloated in the first place we now face a future of even more patches, more bug-fixes, and more unneeded work down the line.

Assassins-Creed-Unity-Missing-Face-Bug.jpg.optimal.jpg

This push for middle ground hardware is not only confusing to the consumer, but fear inducing for the future of how we play games.

Upgraded hardware is nothing new. Phones, tablets, and PC’s in particular have been doing it for years. The issue I take with this mindset entering the console space however, is that consoles are not as vastly multimedia as the above hardware is.

Your phone has a multitude of applications, and I don’t mean that in terms of its app store. Phones communicate, play games, perform work activities, and serve hundreds upon hundreds of other options, as do PC’s and Tablets.

But a gaming device, plays games. It may have the bells and whistles to stream some media or play some movies, but its overall function is to play gaming media. Upgrading the hardware to this small degree and forcing this ecosystem onto the audience to not only confuse them, but divide them into two communities is asinine.

CrxplIeVYAApg87.jpg

I have to give Sony credit that all the hardware will play the same games. That fact alone is nice and helpful but the double edged sword is the fact that a majority of the games you will play will be inferior to the upgraded version that completely burns you if you’re one of the near 60-million people that bought a PS4 in the not even 3-years since it released.

We have all experienced this generation of games. Time and time again there have been a multitude of games that from launch have been near broken in terms of gameplay, from WatchDogs, Assassin’s Creed Unity, Battlefield 4, Halo MCC, and more. We’ve been burned by patches time and time again that have to fix the games that should have been ready to go on launch, and now we have to expect games to be DOUBLE-PATCHED to run the separate versions of the games on PS4? We have to trust that the developers aren’t going to focus resources on the nicer version of the game, or prioritize that build more over the now, “inferior version?”

This isn’t even in terms of visual aesthetic. It has been stated that PS4 games on Pro will run at higher framerates and VR on Pro will be substantially different from running on launch hardware. Where does this leave the countless individuals that own a current PS4? How will games continue to flesh out in the long run? What happens in another year or two when the Scorpio launches and Playstation launches something to combat it where it falls into another weird category of not a new generation but a better version of an already existing system?

Was this really necessary or worth it in the long run? Could they not have rested on their laurels another year or two and just released an even more powerful Playstation 5 that maybe had backwards compatibility with PS4 games? Could they not have released a peripheral or an expansion that allowed these changes to happen?

It was mentioned yesterday that HDR gaming will be patched into all existing PS4’s and into the Pro, which only makes me further question the purpose of this new console. Could this not have been released as an expansion for everyone to have access to over a brand new console? The N64 had an expansion pak way back in the day which was proprietary to play DK64, Majora’s Mask, Banjo Tooie and other more intensive games, but you didn’t see Nintendo releasing a brand new console just to fix that issue either.

The entire concept of the Pro has taken the gaming community by storm and upset not only the consumers, but developers and industry critics alike.
Screenshot+2016-09-08+07.05.46.png

Screenshot+2016-09-08+07.06.11.png

Screenshot+2016-09-08+07.19.34.png

The future of the console industry is foggy and unpredictable as of late. I’d like to hope that the PS4PRO won’t divide the community in the ways I have outlined but I can’t really see that happening. Only time will tell as the console rolls out this November and respective games get released. It could go one way or the other, where standard versions are inferior and broken, or the newer versions are buggy and unplayable, or even that everything works out fine and this is the hopeless griping of someone that can’t see a nice future in constant console upgrades.

But hey. This is why I went PC anyway.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I hate how people use confusing in videogame contexts. We all have >90 iq's, dont we? None of us let their great grand parents buy their stuff, right?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So you would have waited 3 years if you'd have known about the neo plans? Just sell your old junk for 290 bucks and upgrade.
If i knew that the performance of the consoles would be this terrible then yes, i would wait 3 years, i always do to get the best out of my money.

i agree dude. if consoles are becoming pc's then just get a pc don't settle for less. all these updated units aren't for the console market especially casual gamers.

sony cant promise anything its up to the devs if it will be able to run on the old unit.
Consoles chasing PCs is stupid, dunno why they are trying when they won't ever catch up.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Pre-ordering is a bad idea already. But will reviewers play the game on both hardwares? Most likely games that fail to perform well on PS4 to "they just didn't care" level will not pass Sony's mastering check. It's possible one or two could slip through the cracks. It's possible you will just get 20FPS (where PS4 Pro gets 60) and it will be up to reviewers to communicate that.

You mean like Hyrule Warriors wouldn't pass Nintendo's mastering check? Also you are forgetting about review embargoes, and not only that but chances are that such major differences in framerate and such will be one of the specific things that aren't allowed to be mentioned in professional reviews.

Sure, upgrading to the N3DS makes so much sense now that we're drowning in N3DS and N3DS-enhanced titles. Come off it, I can think of four titles for which the N3DS makes a difference, and that's Hyrule Warriors for the slightly higher framerate in an ultimately watered down port and Smash/MH4/MHX for the second thumbstick (which is unresponsive and sucks by the way). The only "worthwhile" game that's exclusive for the N3DS, and that's "worthwhile" between quotation marks the size of two barns, that I'm aware of is Xenoblade Chronicles 3D which is a port of a garbage Wii game. In comparison the GBC had a whole slew of exclusives and colorized all previous titles, there's no contest here. If you think upgrading to the N3DS is worthwhile for 5 titles, you've got low standards. I'm still rocking an OG 3DS because the CPP is far better for Monster Hunter and nothing else validated an upgrade yet. I bought my fiancee an N3DS but I don't fancy it all that much.

Your Game Boy FPS point falls flat anyways because that system synced refresh rates to the CPU ticks as far as I know, it's a completely different situation. Game Boy games that are ran at 35 FPS instead of native speed are effectively "slower" than they're meant to be, this is not the case on modern systems.

Actually, there are a ton of titles that can take advantage of the New 3DS for improved performance. Of course, the catch is that you need to have custom firmware (or at least HANS) to see any improvement. Not to mention homebrew like Retroarch.

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Professional reviews must have changed a lot if they're now limited in what they can say about a game. I would expect such reviews to quickly lose trust of the audience.
Performance differences for multi-platform games has been a component of professional reviews for at least 10 years now.

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
most likely faster fps on 1080p, even on older games like witcher 3 with a patch

who is going to want to play the new GTA, when it comes out, at 30fps when you could play it at 60
what the fuck. the witcher 3 is not an old game. also you won't play gta vi at 60fps.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only a dumb ass would do that, literally every system i checked, from NES onwards. a game's box art clearly stated what system/add-on it was for.
yea truth the real gamers would.
But this about the people that have other people buy games for them.
I remember when the ds first game out. A old lady was trying to get one for her grandson. The guy at the store (target i believe) told her that the Gameboy was the same thing and it was cheaper. So she ended up getting that which wasnt the right thing.

Those are the things im talking about.
I know about games so not a problem for me but i see problems at christmas when people go shopping for others.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I honestly couldn't give any less of a fuck about this myself. Everyone freaking out like this is somehow going to destroy the gaming world as we know it just makes me laugh.

In the OP, it's mentioned various times that the "improvements" of this iteration will somehow "divide" the console owners which is laughable when you realize literally the only practical upgrades the new iteration is getting is a more stable framerate in some games (and VR) and, at best, upscaled 4k resolutions from 1080p (or maybe 1440p). Since when has slight graphical fidelity ever "divide(d) the community"? And I mean slight, it's not like we're talking about a $5000 gaming PC vs a $400 console, we're talking at best a...GTX 980 vs a GTX 980 Ti. The benefits are there, sure, but it's not something that's going to somehow make the PS4 some sub-par uber obsolete console that devs are going to have to completely gimp games for (like last gen ports to the Wii).

That said, do I think this iteration is a necessary one? No, I think both the Scorpio and the PS4 Pro are both totally unnecessary and these upgrades could've waited a few years so as to start a new "generation" (and, subsequently, fuck over Nintendo just like this gen :tpi:).

Will I personally buy one? Maybe, as long as Sony (or other stores) offer me a nice plump trade-in value so I don't have to spend as much. Does anyone else have to buy one? Nope.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Exhibit A

Exhibit B
Exhibit A, a subpar addon system that sold pretty poorly and had few "exclusives". Yep, good exhibit!

Exhibit B, has like 3 whole games that are mildly improved upon from the previous iteration. Yep, totally dividing the community alright!

:rolleyes:

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exhibit A, a subpar addon system that sold pretty poorly and had few "exclusives". Yep, good exhibit!

Exhibit B, has like 3 whole games that are mildly improved upon from the previous iteration. Yep, totally dividing the community alright!

:rolleyes:
They were also 3 whole games that were majorly hyped and required owners of the original system to buy a newer version of what they already had. It should also be mentioned that Hyrule Warriors Legends was dual released for both o3DS and n3DS but is all but incompatible with the o3DS anyway

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Actually, there are a ton of titles that can take advantage of the New 3DS for improved performance. Of course, the catch is that you need to have custom firmware (or at least HANS) to see any improvement. Not to mention homebrew like Retroarch.
I'm sure Nintendo specifically engineered the system with hackers in mind, making sure they can get every ounce of power out of it. They tend to care about those 3% of their userbase. :P

On a serious note, the gross majority of users upgrade for the sake of official software, and that is non-existant. I think I made my point.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It was mentioned yesterday that HDR gaming will be patched into all existing PS4’s and into the Pro, which only makes me further question the purpose of this new console. Could this not have been released as an expansion for everyone to have access to over a brand new console? The N64 had an expansion pak way back in the day which was proprietary to play DK64, Majora’s Mask, Banjo Tooie and other more intensive games, but you didn’t see Nintendo releasing a brand new console just to fix that issue either.
erm... new 3ds?

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whats funny is that xbone fanboys are saying this is the death of the ps4 even though sony have sold 50 million consoles and Microsoft 20 million, meaning they have to sell the bare minimum of 20 million scorpios, which i dont see as likely (a 6tflops console will not sell for $399 even in 2017 my guess is around 429-499,) also, with the all ps4's being HDR capable i'd say slim sales will be even better than xbone s (most people buy it since its a cheap blu ray player for 4k.) since people on the fence will go for the console that is still more powerful than its competitor. If microsoft released the scorpio this year then sony should be worried, not now. Scorpio will sell 15 million tops in its first two or so years since most people wont want to dish out that much for a console theyll only ever play at 1080p. I should also point out that a console outputing 4k and then inputting the 4k video in a 1080p monitor actually makes the video nicer as the pixels are made more dense. (correct me if im wrong.) Both are using polaris 10 architecture so the 2 tflops difference isnt actually a very serious issue (the scorpio will probably be able to play at 4k 60 whereas the pro will play 4k 30, both will most likely upscale from 2k). We dont know enough about the ram and cpu upgrades to give a final verdict. (this thing will definitely be more affordable than its competitor, repeating of history much?)

S

Saiyan Lusitano

There were plenty of stop gap and/or alternative systems in history that were sold concurrently and did not obsolete eachother or replaced eachother within the constraints of one hardware generation or at the point of crossing from one generation into the next. The GB, GBC and VB, the GBA Micro and the DS, the SEGA SG-1000, 2000, 3000 and Master System, the eight billion flavours of PC Engine, the Atari 2600 and 5200, there are dozens of examples. It's all arbitrary and based on our perception of what constitutes a complete departure from the status quo into new territory. Nintendo is not starting a next generation early, they're releasing a new current generation system because the Wii U failed miserably.

GBA Micro was just a model of GBA, it wasn't an actual new handheld. Just like Wii Mini wasn't a new Wii.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The reaction to the PS4 Pro is quite funny to me, considering its most vocal opponents belong to the PC camp which upgrades hardware all the time (and don't give me the "you can buy individual components" spiel - when a socket is obsolete, you're replacing the whole motherboard and often times also RAM)
Yeah but that's 7-10 years, not 2-3 years after buying a complete system. Hell, even when replacing a motherboard you're usually talking about that plus a new CPU, everything else you can carry over from your existing rig. A new mobo + CPU is still considerably less than $400. Alternatively, $400 will nearly buy you a top-of-the-line GPU, and that'll game in 4K@60FPS, unlike the slideshow you're likely to get attempting to play 4K on a console. 1080p@60 is a big step up, but that's the minimum baseline consoles should have been running at from the beginning of this generation. They shouldn't have needed a revision just for that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
GBA Micro was just a model of GBA, it wasn't an actual new handheld. Just like Wii Mini wasn't a new Wii.
That's not my point - my point is that it was sold concurrently with the DS which you're not accounting for. Again, the Atari 2600 and the 5200 are both considered 2nd gen systems, they have separate software libraries, they are not cross-compatible (until an adapter came along), but since the 5200 failed on the market and nobody else was releasing any other systems, we didn't consider Atari to have a 3rd gen system until they released the 7800. In fact, the 2600 outlived the 5200 despite being an older system and kept selling well into the 7800's short lifespan. You're arguing an arbitrary classification.

The DS and the DSi or the 3DS and the N3DS are separated by large specs gaps as well, but they're considered the same gen because neither system was a necessary upgrade. They're not cosmetic revisions, especially in the case of the DSi which introduced a whole new firmware, DSiWare, camera functionality etc. - we just agree that they belong to the same gen.

What about systems like the Game Gear which is, for the most part, a portable versions of the Master System with some enhancements hardware-wise? What generation does it belong to - the generation of the original hardware, 3rd gen, or the next one, 4th gen? What about the Nomad, the portable Mega Drive? Is it 4th gen or 5th gen? Is it even a separate entity or just a Mega Drive revision?

It's all about what competes with what. The NX is designed to compete with the Xbox One and the PS4, just like the Wii U was, so that's the generation we collectively agree to place it in. It's not a matter of what replaces what or which system it is in a row, if that were the case, it'd be a huge mess.
Yeah but that's 7-10 years, not 2-3 years after buying a complete system. Hell, even when replacing a motherboard you're usually talking about that plus a new CPU, everything else you can carry over from your existing rig. A new mobo + CPU is still considerably less than $400. Alternatively, $400 will nearly buy you a top-of-the-line GPU, and that'll game in 4K@60FPS, unlike the slideshow you're likely to get attempting to play 4K on a console. 1080p@60 is a big step up, but that's the minimum baseline consoles should have been running at from the beginning of this generation. They shouldn't have needed a revision just for that.
The PS4 was released 2 years ago and it'll be another 2-3 years before it becomes obsolete, that's an acceptable 5 years. Just because the last gen was too long for its own good doesn't mean that this one has to be.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I never understand the upgrade of current gen console.

If they can make it better, why not do so in the beginning? And if they found they current console too weak, why not make an entirely new one?

The answer is they don't want to move on to new gen too quick and leave they original userbase behind. Technology nowadays advance in month, not year like it used to be and so a circle of 4 years life for a console become a curse. They have to hold back improvement for at least 4 years, make their console outdated compare to PC, phone and tablet user because they don't have that thing call console gen to hold them back so they can upgrade every month without trouble.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence -