Hacking PS4 Pro 7.55 JB issues after upgrade to large disk

Missingno_force

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I recently decided to upgrade my internal PS4 disk and went for broke, going from the stock 1TB HDD to an 8TB SSD.
Before upgrading I used the regular backup utility to back up my saves, settings and games and the FTP payload to get my trophy data off the system.
After the upgrade, I reinstalled 7.55 using the recovery package, restored games etc. from the backup and then attempted to get FTP so I could restore my trophy data.
This is where the fun begins:
Using a locally hosted DarkModder exploit host, using the "new" jailbreak simply does nothing at all, even after letting it sit for 15 minutes.
The "old" jailbreak either fails with the "please try again" message or kernel panics so hard that after the system restarts, it tells me "the OS is broken, please reinstall" which obviously involved formatting and restoring again.
I tried using the jailbreak hosted by sleirsgoevy linked from their ps4jb2 repo because I saw that the used payload was different.
Using this jailbreak, I got a softlock doing nothing, I got a softlock after "waiting for payload" and finally another hard panic with reinstall etc.

My question now: are there any known issues with the kernel exploits using large internal disks? If no, how/where would I go about finding out what exactly breaks so hard the entire OS dies to death?

viper3344

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8TB ssd huh....... pray tell... what model and how much did you pay for said 8TB ssd? My guess is the reason you have having so much trouble is because its a FAKE ssd if you paid anything less than $1,000 USD for an 8TB SSD.....

***You can find the Samsung 8TB sata for around $750 bucks on sale but even then, spending $750 bucks for an internal SSD when an external 8TB that works pretty much just the same for games for $120 is insane.

Last edited by viper3344,

Missingno_force

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Its one of those 8T QLC samsung disks (870 QVO), and I already checked that its legit (else I wouldnt have bothered posting, no point in finding the fault elsewhere).
The reason Im asking in the first place is because this is such a niche scenario that I wouldnt put it past the PS4 OS to just happen to not like the exploits anymore once you go to stupid disk sizes (which is something Id expect, its not like the exploits are super stable on 7.55 anyway).
For what its worth, the disk isnt even filled past 500GB at the moment, so it shouldnt be the raw amount of data.

Last but not least, this is just an annoyance, I will lose my trophies but thats it,

Last edited by Missingno_force,
Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I did read about people with ssds having issues with the exploit.
Maybe some people have it working fine, but I definitely saw a few people with the issue.
Maybe it being 8TB isn't even the actual problem?

dr_lucas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I did read about people with ssds having issues with the exploit.
Maybe some people have it working fine, but I definitely saw a few people with the issue.
Maybe it being 8TB isn't even the actual problem?

By the way, I just tested with a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO ssd and it works without this OS reinstallation issue when crashing (right after the disk check).
I start to believe, and this is just a personal theory of course, that it may have to do with the size and not with the technology (SSD). The only official disk sizes are up to 2TB, so maybe jailbreaking systems using any bigger disk sizes (or possibly just the 8TB) will eventually cause this severe crash that requires OS reinstallation. :(

Last edited by dr_lucas,
Reactions: cearp

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard of issues with an 8TB ssd and the ps4. I don't think it's the jb that's the problem, but rather the ps4 can't really handle it even though sony claims it can. I don't know about other sizes, but you'd save yourself a great deal of money if you just used usb 3.0 instead. I have all my games on a 5TB external hdd. if my system were to fail or something, I can use the external drive on another ps4 without installation. can't do that with an internal hdd/ssd. I'm pretty sure this is how people were dumping games on the latest firmware (no longer works though, but it was patched by hen on 7.xx). sony reintroduced it on 8.5x iirc.

Reactions: dr_lucas and cearp

dr_lucas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Yeah, I bought the 8TB especially for the PS4, so I ended up just using the 1TB EVO SSD inside and the 8TB as an external extended storage. Works well.

Demix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So little lesson that may apply, 2tb and under uses a MBR with BIOS. Above 2tb uses GUP with UEFI. So lack of an MBR maybe the root of problems for above 2tb

Last edited by Demix,

dr_lucas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I supposed you meant GPT.
This is true but all applies to PCs, I am not sure if it has anything to do with the PS4, which uses SONY's proprietary partitioning and formatting.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mbr shouldn't be the reason larger disks don't work inside the ps4. I suppose when you want to go big with the ps4, you don't choose 6TBs but rather 8, so we're aware that 8TBs can cause issues. who knows what the real max is? I don't think there's a hard drive that size that will fit in the hdd bay unless you use a nyko bank. that leaves ssd, which is largely not worth it with the ps4, because the speeds should be around the same as a usb 3.0 due to the limitations of the system. I've never seen a comparison of ssd to usb 3.0, always ssd to hdd, so it can be unreliable to use that as a comparison. anyway, that's way more than enough for games. if a kp corrupts the hard drive, which is possible, you'll be very pissed losing all that content, especially if you're not backing up all those packages on another hard drive. btw, 2TB and above is gpt. mbr doesn't work with 2TB on the ps4, even though it should, as I tested this. package files are not detected at that size.

DesertCamel

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I recently decided to upgrade my internal PS4 disk and went for broke, going from the stock 1TB HDD to an 8TB SSD.
Before upgrading I used the regular backup utility to back up my saves, settings and games and the FTP payload to get my trophy data off the system.
After the upgrade, I reinstalled 7.55 using the recovery package, restored games etc. from the backup and then attempted to get FTP so I could restore my trophy data.
This is where the fun begins:
Using a locally hosted DarkModder exploit host, using the "new" jailbreak simply does nothing at all, even after letting it sit for 15 minutes.
The "old" jailbreak either fails with the "please try again" message or kernel panics so hard that after the system restarts, it tells me "the OS is broken, please reinstall" which obviously involved formatting and restoring again.
I tried using the jailbreak hosted by sleirsgoevy linked from their ps4jb2 repo because I saw that the used payload was different.
Using this jailbreak, I got a softlock doing nothing, I got a softlock after "waiting for payload" and finally another hard panic with reinstall etc.

My question now: are there any known issues with the kernel exploits using large internal disks? If no, how/where would I go about finding out what exactly breaks so hard the entire OS dies to death?
I did upgrade my Ps4 Pro 5.05 with an 8TB Samsung (870 QVO) managed to install around 700 games and I do have an external 8tb wd black for my ps4 backup if something happened in the future.

Why did I done this ? Simple, First day I was playing using the WD black 8tb while playing it just suddenly turn it off then on and the ps4 restarted.
My savegame become corrupted and I was in a middle of my progress in a game called ACE combat which made me very mad.

Went to amazon ordered a 8tb ssd (870 QVO) reinstalled everything and I did clean backup with the WD Black after finishing with installing the games then start playing again.
1 month of experience no issues at all, bare in mind that my ps4 pro just an 1 month old and I bought it because it was sealed kept unused by someone since 2018 and I managed to buy it from him.

What you did is the best and the perfect solution for the ultimate gaming experience but the issue with yours is that it's 7.55.

I had 6.72 Ps4 but didn't satisfied me that's why I kept looking for a ps4 pro which it has 4k and 1GB of DDR3 RAM for OS and Swapping < which I really feel the different between the both or maybe because it's new or my 6.72 ps4 is old.

I really recommend you to find a clean ps4 pro with 5.05 used or new or normal ps4 with 5.05 brand new or used dig and you will find one, at the end I find 5.05 is the most stable JB until the day for the PS4.

Missingno_force

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just as a heads up to anyone who stumbles upon this:
The recently released pOOBs4 exploit based on FW 9.00 worked flawlessly on my system, so the issue with the SSD upgrade might just have been one of the many stability issues with the webkit exploits on FW > 5.05.
Once I figure out how to edit the thread title Ill add the hint about the upgrade.

dr_lucas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Do you mean you are now running 8tb on jailbroken fw9. 00?
I was able to run it on 7.55, but things went south after every kernel panic, so until you get some KPs you can't be sure it's stable.
The whole data got corrupted after KPs on 7.55
Did you get any KP yet? If not, it's just a matter of time. Please report data stability after you do get some.

Missingno_force

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you mean you are now running 8tb on jailbroken fw9. 00?
I was able to run it on 7.55, but things went south after every kernel panic, so until you get some KPs you can't be sure it's stable.
The whole data got corrupted after KPs on 7.55
Did you get any KP yet? If not, it's just a matter of time. Please report data stability after you do get some.
Yep, the same SSD I mentioned in the OP on freshly updated FW 9.00. Considering the fact that this worked first try with no issues at all (like having to rerun the webkit exploit or the USB payload failing or those annoying panics) I am pretty confident that this is fine. But Ill have a go at trying again a couple times maybe over the next few weeks as well and report back.

• Wow
Reactions: Mo Poge

dr_lucas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Yeah, try to trigger KPs and even pull the plug from time to to make sure the data stays intact after you complete booting...

dr_lucas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Yep, the same SSD I mentioned in the OP on freshly updated FW 9.00. Considering the fact that this worked first try with no issues at all (like having to rerun the webkit exploit or the USB payload failing or those annoying panics) I am pretty confident that this is fine. But Ill have a go at trying again a couple times maybe over the next few weeks as well and report back.
Is it still totally stable for you? No data lose after crashes?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?