Firmware PS4 firmware 6.50 released, adds remote play for iOS and X/O input swap

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Sleet

Sleet GBAtemp Fan

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    What I thought the real reason they haven't made it available was because they used it as an incentive for you to buy Xperia phones, but Sony Mobile has been doing poorer each year. Now that they've made an official iPhone app it appears they've given up on that idea and Android is probably soon to come as the post suggests.

On some another note maybe this will finally push the developer of ControllersforAll to fix his tweak to make DS4 working on jailbroken iOS 11+. Or maybe someone else will do it. I think it has had a cash bounty for over a year now on reddit.

phonz likes this.
  2. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    iirc, the button layout can be manipulated in the home menu on older firmware, but I think the layout gets screwed up in giame. I remember trying this once. I think the menu allows for full customization btw. I have a Japanese ps4, so with my American games, the confirm/decline buttons are confusing.

3. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    Finally a x/o swap button, my asian ps4 is happy.

noctis90210 and godreborn like this.
  4. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I actually had x/o swapped mt vita and ostv, but I reverted them back. it can be confusing between playstation and a NIntendo console. then, there's the xbox controllers which I believe have swapped buttons.

5. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I thought you meant a hack was released for 6.50 and I got excited for a minute....

azoreseuropa and godreborn like this.
  6. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I wonder if sony is hesitant to release new firmwares just in case they make another exploitable firmware. :P

azoreseuropa likes this.
  7. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I think there is a exploit they're just sitting on it still, surprised it didn't release with kingdom hearts.

azoreseuropa likes this.
  8. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    t
    they are going to sit on it until it is patched if they have one

Last edited by weatMod, Mar 8, 2019
  9. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I'm also waiting on an update. I need to get rid of hacked account. I've already done that on the ps3 and psv/pstv. I would also like to play dragon quest xi, since I bought it for the pc. it runs extremely slow on my px. I should've downloaded it first, but I went to steam. it didn't really seem too intensive. I'll just wait for the switch version. that version is supposed to be superior with orchestral music, and you can play in 16bit.

10. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I don't think exploit releases are tied to what games need at all.

It seems more to do with when they find an exploit that has been patched by Sony already in a newer firmware, so it's safe to release it.

11. noctis90210

noctis90210 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2013
    Is button assignment different from button swap?

I also have an asian ps4...
    Defaults are...
    X=cancel
    O=accept
    But theres already button assignments in the settings am i right?
    But it only works on the XMB. (Still default on user account selection and in-game of some games).

With this new button swap, does it mean my asian ps4 will work same as eu/us ps4, wherein X=accept and O=cancel anywhere i go in the ps4 (XMB, all the games, user account selection)? Just like a region change? And where can i find this setting for button swap?

Thanks...

12. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    It's annoying having an asian ps4 and playing an r1 game sometimes. Last game I could remember was yakuza 6 giving me trouble.
    Yes there is another button swap in the settings area where you can change x to accept and o to cancel. It's a huge qol improvement for us owners of ps4 asian ver.

Last edited by Unleanone999, Mar 8, 2019
    noctis90210 likes this.
  13. landysmods

landysmods Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2018
    Australia
    Does anyone know if there is a recent version of the Android (unofficial) remoteplay app?
    I tried it years ago, but couldn't see one that works with recent android os

14. phonz

phonz GBAtemp Regular

May 1, 2018
    Canada
    the guy that was modifying the Android version decided to instead make his own called repl4y.
    You can find his updates on twitter -> https://twitter.com/Twist3d89

15. landysmods

landysmods Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2018
    Australia
    Awesome thanks!

16. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    The fact that Japan swapped the buttons in the first place is annoying as hell, and completely preventable.

Last edited by Jayro, Mar 8, 2019
  17. Vhestal

Vhestal Advanced Member

Feb 16, 2019
    Philippines
    Betwix the Twilight
    It did say "This option is available only for specific countries and regions."

18. luk_pop

luk_pop GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2017
    Poland
    mytown
    This update BRICK my console. It was necessary to perform recovery :(

19. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    It's like a cultural thing. If anything it's the western version that wound up with them swapped for reasons.

Now, what the hell is Niconico and why should I care that it can got o 720p now? never even heard of it before. I hope we get a new update soon that everyone is forced to update to before using any online stuff (like Youtube) that allows Garbledyfloop to go up to 1024x768. 8-{

20. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    It's like a cultural thing. If anything it's the western version that got called youtube for reasons.
    Wait... causality doesn't check.