Firmware PS4 firmware 6.50 released, adds remote play for iOS and X/O input swap

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Mar 7, 2019.

Front-page Firmware
    D1D2CBgW0AQibVY.

The latest firmware update for the PlayStation 4 has been released. Version 6.50 adds a handful of new features, such as the ability to stream 720p videos to NicoNico, support for the newly released iOS PS4 remote play app, and the ability to swap the circle and x button for menu input, which is oddly limited by region. The firmware download size is 442MB.

In regards to the iOS Remote Play feature, players are limited in the fact that they cannot connect a DualShock 4 to their phones, and must either use onscreen input, or a third party controller.

Main Features in Version 6.50 Update
    • You can now enjoy Remote Play on iOS devices. You can use (PS4 Remote Play) to connect your PS4 system from devices such as smartphones and tablets.
    Other Features
    • You can now choose 720p when you broadcast using Niconico Live. This service is available only in certain countries and regions.
    • You can now change the button assignment to perform “Enter” operations from the Circle button to the X button. Select (Settings) > [System], and then select the checkbox for [Use X Button for Enter]. This option is available only for specific countries and regions.

:arrow: iOS - PS4 Remote Play
    :arrow: Source

Discussion (44 replies)
  1. smileyhead

smileyhead This is definitely not a robotic component!

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    Is the O/X swap the same as on the Vita (i.e. annoying in games because the button prompts and layouts still expect you to use X as Enter)?

2. noctis90210

noctis90210 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2013
    I thought, theres already button assignment on the settings?

3. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Now that you say that I remember that function was in some of my consoles... not sure if Xbox or PS4 or both. I never really used it TBH.

4. kusanaginico

kusanaginico Member

Newcomer
    Apr 13, 2014
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Santiago, Chile
    fuck yeah having my jap mhw ps4 is the hell to use the X/O inputs in console menu.
    yes noctis90210 but that button assignment is for everything not only the console menu the games would have the buttons remaped as you did in this opption.

5. AbyssalMonkey

AbyssalMonkey GBAtemp Fan

Jun 5, 2013
    Antarctica
    Prox
    I think he's asking if X/O swap will cause the assets in the game to have them reversed, as in the game queries the console for the "enter" button and displays which one it is, similar to how keyboard/controller games sometimes change their display prompt (ie, "press A to start" for xbox controllers, or "press enter to start" for keyboard). I don't think it will, as most developers probably have that asset hard coded.

6. Bil

Bil Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    United Kingdom
    “support for the newly released iOS PS4 remote play app” :O :D

Last edited by Bil, Mar 7, 2019
  7. Beerus

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    waits for new exploit

8. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    never had luck with remote not even using Sony Xperia Z2 which always had official Sony remote play in fact the modded\hacked remote app works even better as at least remove some protections and can get rid of the bad connection not allowed to join in though its pointless anyway as is too lagged.

My router and most here sucks anyway since everyone just use the ISP one it doesnt even have 5ghz, remote play even on LAN here is slow and high input lag and over internet even a bar 50 or other at 100 meters away from my house it barely can connect not to mention not playable lol...

Even Nvidia shield streaming games trough internet worked much better than the PS4 LAN remote here :wacko: (so stupid that a server thousands of miles away work better than PS4 remote play at 1 meter from the router and even with the PS4 connected via Ethernet cable).

9. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Are you kidding me? I had an apple device for YEARS and there was no remote play support but android had it (officially only sony xperia, unofficially every device). Now I have an android phone for one month and they release remote play for ios??? Wtf is going on? Of course all workarounds for android are outdated and not working with android pie...

10. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I'm just gonna say it. LAAAAMMMMMEEEE! :ninja:

Now let me play ps3, ps2, and ps1 and audio discs already. :creep:

11. 98otiss

98otiss irrelevant folfcoon

Aug 22, 2015
    Canada
    Metaverse
    i dont have the X/O swap option and i dont see the remote play app, what a big disappointment

12. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker News Police

Banned
    Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    No, they’re not. There is a well-known workaround to play with a DS4 if they set it that the accounts on the Remote Play app and PS4 don’t match.

Anyways, the official Remote play app requires the latest iOS version, so jailbreakers are out of luck, but fortunately there are other third-party Remote Play apps on the app store.

13. kornychaos

kornychaos Organized.

Jul 7, 2007
    United States
    This post made me chuckle. Thanks.

14. phonz

phonz GBAtemp Regular

May 1, 2018
    Canada
    soooo if iOS users have access now does that mean that all Android phones can use Remote Play now and not just the Sony Xperia phones?

landysmods and JinTrigger like this.
  15. 98otiss

98otiss irrelevant folfcoon

Aug 22, 2015
    Canada
    Metaverse
    And when you think about it the X/O swap feature already existed.
    Settings>Accessibility>Button Assignments

16. Sleet

Sleet GBAtemp Fan

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    you could do it for a while. But it needs a rooted phone with Magisk to simulate the Sony libraries necessary for it.

A superior experience afaik because you can use any bluetooth controller unlike iOS and it'll work outside the home network.

phonz likes this.
  17. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    And here I thought a new exploit was here.. sad face.

azoreseuropa likes this.
  18. phonz

phonz GBAtemp Regular

May 1, 2018
    Canada
    Yeah, I knew about the Root option. I may resort to it someday :P
    Apparently this is the reason they haven't made available for Android devices yet though
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps...on-can-be-swapped.103897/page-4#post-18609343

Something to do with controller pairings to Android not working entirely. Which is a weird reason considering they absolutely don't work with iOS. *shrug*

19. 0000ff

0000ff Spase Peepole

Mar 3, 2018
    United States
    Space
    sadly, I think we are going to have to wait a LONG time for that to happen.

azoreseuropa likes this.