PS4 controller to include LCD touch-screen, bio-metric sensors?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo stole it first!!!! lol

I think a lot of people get confused between invention and making something standard. Nintendo rarely invents but when it comes to making odd features standard equipment Nintendo are #1.

This is one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't situations that Sony seems to get into a lot these days.

Exactly. Think of it like the iPhone. It basically revolutionized phones and the use of the touchscreen. Everyone brands a motion controller like the Move "a complete rip off" but you don't call a thousand touchscreen phones "iPhone rip offs." Motion controls became standard and if they tried to be different, you'd get the Kinect. Which did well but has no appeal to a "hardcore" audience.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Exactly. Think of it like the iPhone. It basically revolutionized phones and the use of the touchscreen. Everyone brands a motion controller like the Move "a complete rip off" but you don't call a thousand touchscreen phones "iPhone rip offs." Motion controls became standard and if they tried to be different, you'd get the Kinect. Which did well but has no appeal to a "hardcore" audience.
I wouldn't say it revolutionized it so much as it mass-marketed it. Don't wanna be "that guy", but Microsoft was doing quite well with their WindowsCE-Based platforms before the iPhone.

The difference between those two brands was that the PocketPC, be it on palmtops or palmphones was always marketed towards the business user wheras the iPhone was mass-marketed towards the average Joe which made all the difference. Microsoft (as well as Palm and RIM) figured that an average user just doesn't need "almost PC" features on their handsets, Apple thought otherwise and look at the market now - everybody and their dog owns a smartphone of some sort and they all look vaguely similar, no matter how you slice the cake.

The Apple Ad-machine is quite powerful and can be a game changer. Think back to the iPod era - "it's not an mp3/mp4 player - it's an iPod!". It speaks to the mind of the consumer and apparently works.

D

Deleted_171835

Well Sony is known for taking popular established ideas and making their own version of it (Playstation Move, All Stars: BR, Sixaxis, rumble, etc). You can argue that Nintendo didn't invent this stuff but fact is that if it wasn't popularized by Nintendo, it probably wouldn't have been implemented by Sony.

Not that it matters considering that if everyone was so worried about copying each other, we wouldn't have dual analog sticks, rumble or a number of other things that are common in controllers today. If Sony wants to implement an expensive touch-screen controller, not my problem. It's a stupid business decision but haven't we come to expect that from them?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well Sony is known for taking popular established ideas and making their own version of it (Playstation Move, All Stars: BR, Sixaxis, rumble, etc). You can argue that Nintendo didn't invent this stuff but fact is that if it wasn't popularized by Nintendo, it probably wouldn't have been implemented by Sony.

Not that it matters considering that if everyone was so worried about copying each other, we wouldn't have dual analog sticks, rumble or a number of other things that are common in controllers today. If Sony wants to implement an expensive touch-screen controller, not my problem. It's a stupid business decision but haven't we come to expect that from them?
I'll agree with you to the extent that implementing established ideas may in fact be beneficial for the industry overall. Whether or not the touchscreen controller will be a success (if it exists) remains to be seen.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see your wand and raise you a Power Glove. Sure, it may have been absolutely horrible and use different technology, but the fact remains that Nintendo had the idea of motion controls before Sony even entered the market. Whether or not it was popular or good is is irrelevant. [/Nit-picking]
But yeah, it's kinda annoying when people claim that something's copying, so I'd have to agree with the rest of your argument. :/
perhaps you should read the link you posted

Though it was an officially licensed product, Nintendo was not involved in the design or release of this accessory.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
If that thing would've come out when the Wii did it would've been much bigger, much more power hungry, probably much more prone to failure (RROD, YLOD) and about as expensive, if not more so, than the PS3 at launch, judging from the performance. Also, computers always outperform consoles. Besides, for 400 bucks you might be able to build a PC with roughly the same specs, but you'd probably still not get much of a performance boost because of optimization and stuff a PC needs to run that a console does not. I think there was also some stuff about shorter pipelines that made a difference.

You were basically right but you argued your point extremely badly, and you were very wrong on some points.

If the Wii U came out in 2006, it wouldn't have been any larger or power hungry, but it would've been vastly more expensive. All the technology was there years before, it just wasn't commercially viable for a console.

PCs do NOT always outperform consoles. A console of the same specification will massively outperform the PC, because it doesn't have to waste system resources on running the operating system or other processes, and the really important thing:

Consoles are standardised. Every one has the exact same architecture. It's incredibly easy to make a game run on all xbox 360s, because it just has to run on 1 xbox 360. Making a game that runs on all PCs that could have any conceivable set of hardware is much, much more difficult, and it means you can't write your software specifically for that system.

As for "shorter pipelines", I really hope this was a terrible metaphor. Computers are not a series of tubes.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll agree with you to the extent that implementing established ideas may in fact be beneficial for the industry overall. Whether or not the touchscreen controller will be a success (if it exists) remains to be seen.

This is one thing I have been mulling over for a few days, if Sony does create some sort of clone of the Wii-U pad we can look forward to better and faster ports between the two systems. That to me seems like it would be a good thing.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
This is one thing I have been mulling over for a few days, if Sony does create some sort of clone of the Wii-U pad we can look forward to better and faster ports between the two systems. That to me seems like it would be a good thing.

Except that the PS4 will output 7x as many Terraflops as the Wii U, thus making it obsolete to port to it.

And, by the way, I don't say that in a derogatory way. I've got every Nintendo console at launch since the N64, and I wouldn't even consider having a Sony console in my house, but based on announced specs of the new Xbox and Playstation and the way EA are treating it, there's no way it's not going to be another 3rd party failure like last gen.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well nintendo have a patent on panorama view (moving the gamepad to see a diffrent perspective to what is shown on the television screen), so if this ps3 gamepad with lcd screen comes true, all it will be used for is touch menus, maps, etc.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/27/3807240/nintendo-granted-patent-for-wii-u-panorama-view-feature
How does that even work? See, this is one of those retarded patents that I'm absolutely against - you shouldn't be able to patent a logical concept, when you put a screen on your controller, you obviously want to put things that are beyond what you see on your normal screen on it. That kind of patenting slows down progress of the industry - it's like Apple and black rectangles all over again.

I sincerely hope they'll find a legal "workaround" for this issue.

D

Deleted_171835

Except that the PS4 will output 7x as many Terraflops as the Wii U, thus making it obsolete to port to it.

And, by the way, I don't say that in a derogatory way. I've got every Nintendo console at launch since the N64, and I wouldn't even consider having a Sony console in my house, but based on announced specs of the new Xbox and Playstation and the way EA are treating it, there's no way it's not going to be another 3rd party failure like last gen.
Oh, I didn't know that Sony told us how much teraflops the PS4's GPU is. Why didn't anyone tell me that we have exact details on the floating-point performance of the Wii U GPU. And I didn't know that FLOPS were the be all and end all way to measure GPU performance.

As long as the GPU is modern enough (Wii U - DirectX 10.1), multiplats on the system are possible even if it doesn't look as good. Hell we got a competent port of Street Fighter IV on the 3DS. If publishers are willing to support the system, it should handle downgraded ports just fine.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does that even work? See, this is one of those retarded patents that I'm absolutely against - you shouldn't be able to patent a logical concept, when you put a screen on your controller, you obviously want to put things that are beyond what you see on your normal screen on it. That kind of patenting slows down progress of the industry - it's like Apple and black rectangles all over again.

I sincerely hope they'll find a legal "workaround" for this issue.
seem like a ok patent to me good for them to have it

ReBirFh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
SEGA did screens on the controllers first so both are copying SEGA, moderators close down the topic and thanks for everyones contribution to this discussion.
images

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
SEGA did screens on the controllers first so both are copying SEGA, moderators close down the topic and thanks for everyones contribution to this discussion.
images
If you're referring to the VMU's, I wouldn't really count that as a screen on the controller... it's more of a screen on the memory card. You couldn't interact with the VMU unless you disconnected it from the controller plus it didn't have a touchscreen, just on-card buttons. //nitpicking :P

Reactions: KingVamp

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Took me whole 30 seconds to realize that he's full of crap.

I don't know how many times it has to be said - the "leaked specs" are A) Rumours, B) Specs of the devkits.

We already know that Sony's PS4 devkit came in two parts - a PCI-E-like card and an AMD-powered "PC". You might treat those "PC" specs as PS4 specs, but one problem arises - you don't know what's on the extension card. It could be a PowerPC CPU, it could be another CELL, it could be a GPU - it could be anything.

The problem with dev stations is that they hardly ever represent the specs of the actual device you're developing for - they're not made for thorough testing, they're made for programming, you have the testing kits for testing. We can speculate what the specs will be based on the kits but at the end of the day it's all just lucky guessing.

I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch before we actually get to dissect a real speciement of the PS4/720 or at least a complete, reliable specs sheet of the devkits and the test kits.

ReBirFh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you're referring to the VMU's, I wouldn't really count that as a screen on the controller... it's more of a screen on the memory card. You couldn't interact with the VMU unless you disconnected it from the controller plus it didn't have a touchscreen, just on-card buttons. //nitpicking :P

Yeah I was referring to the VMU's, I remember but I'm really not sure that in some sports games you could change tactics using the controller but the options only showing on the VMU to keep it secret from other players (if it didnt happen I probably read it on some suggested features on magazines at that time).

Anyway I don't care who is copying who, the more they copy each other the better for us as it has a higher chance of becoming mainstream. Nintendo and Sony are at this game for almost two decades (three on Nintendo's case) so discussions like this are bound to happen everytime something new is released.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sbeve