NULL

PS3Xploit updated to work on 4.84, bringing back webkit exploit

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Triple HHH. That used to be a wrestler name... or something lewd. :blink:

I don't mean to sound unimpressed. I just don't get it so much. It's the same thing but with a unpatched exploit without downgrading. It's already confusing that
    1. if you can install a update.pup without modification already, why not just make it a firmware downgrade
    2. if you can install a update.pup without modification already, why isn't it CFW
    Other than that I get the idea of the whole thing, its useful, just confused on the idea of it. :ninja:

2. DSwizzy

DSwizzy GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2018
    United States
    Bonerville
    Ah okay, thanks for the explanation

3. Valery0p

Valery0p GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2017
    Italy
    This remembers me about the "FrankenFirmware" semi-brick on the 3ds, when only some modules were installed during an arm11 downgrade... Good times :)
    Ps: I think they have released it?

Last edited by Valery0p, Mar 22, 2019
  4. DSwizzy

DSwizzy GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2018
    United States
    Bonerville
    Think of it as an homebrew enabler patch for use on official firmware

5. Owenge

Owenge GbaTemp browser

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    ◤__◥
    What’s next, that’s the real question

6. DSwizzy

DSwizzy GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2018
    United States
    Bonerville
    Owenge likes this.
  7. SpiffyJUNIOR

SpiffyJUNIOR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 13, 2016
    United States
    US
    why does $ony even try or care anymore jesus

8. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    My understanding is, the latest official firmware patched the exploit for Han, so developers patched that firmware with files from older firmware which allows Han to be enabled, and this worked because all files used are official firmware files that are officially signed.

9. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    grab it while it's hot, I bet sony is going to release a new firmware in the later half of this year.
    why you may ask. because sony is still supporting the ps3 as a bluray movie player and bluray keys need to be renewed.

Ryccardo likes this.
  10. DSwizzy

DSwizzy GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2018
    United States
    Bonerville
    I can see that but i feel there's no need too really and is honestly a waste of time, they should focus on the PS4 as they normally do and leave the PS3 as it is.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  11. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Revisioning is Sony's fetish. Do you have any idea how many internal iterations there have been of the consoles thus far? Per last count, there were twenty diffetent revisions of the original PlayStation before the mini sized PSOne was a thing. And the ps2 was something around 19 major revisions. Or the alphabet soup that is the ps3. The limited amount of revisions on the ps4 is actually a surprise by comparison.

DarthDub, Subtle Demise and DSwizzy like this.
  12. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    The contents of the update that should be signed (executable code) are indeed 100% signed with the appropriate official key, that's why once installed it can run on an unmodified console (even if you somehow decrypted the nand of an official 4.84 console and manually downgraded the browser)

The update package itself, which is obviously modified, is accepted by an unmodified console thanks to... a still secret exploit that was first used for this release (though I think I have an unverified idea on how it works)

You can't downgrade unless you have the QA flag enabled or (not sure) are running a CFW that bypasses that check, which is partially implemented in hardware (indeed the questionable award of the first brick linked to 4.84 hybrid is of someone who ported (incorrectly) the 4.82 flash writer and used it to flash a CFW-update-accepting 4.82 coreOS)

13. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    My Original Playstation has that useless port that was supposed to be used for Online games and can be used for a Printer. Newer versions lack that port.

And to be fair there is like 20 versions of the Sega Genesis, about a dozen are officially licenced. That's because the Sega Genesis keep getting games regularly until the year 2000.

14. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    AFAIK all they had to do was update the outdated web kit.

How are you counting those? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_models

But sure, Sony like to do constant cost reduction. Commodore used to be the kings of cost reduction, they came up with metalised cardboard for shielding in the final c64 revisions.

Last edited by smf, Mar 22, 2019
    DSwizzy likes this.
  15. DSwizzy

DSwizzy GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2018
    United States
    Bonerville
    Good thing they're stupid

16. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    It probably took them an hour and it's blocked ps3xploit for 5 months. Seems like time well spent.

17. brollikk

brollikk GBAtemp Fan

Mar 8, 2018
    United States
    so basically ALL ps3 can either be cfw'd or HAN'd?

if you use ps3 han, are you able to load up multiman by any chance?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

nevermind I just looked it up. looks like CFW is what we really need for all the good stuff

18. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    And Now that "useless port" can be used with a gameshark or similar to flash unirom to it and make it a soft-modchip, not unlike how Pseudo Saturn became a thing for the Sega contemporary.

I missed my Gameshark Pro when i was forced to replace my ps1's with a model lacking the parallel port. It had the cheat system, the ability to hack my own codes, and v-mem, which basically was a virtual memory card and saved a crap ton of money right there.

19. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    On a chipped Playstation you can just use a CD with a program that loads cheat codes and then play the game you want the cheat on.

That's the only Gameshark I had for the system, typing the cheats manually for some games was a pain but it worked.

Last edited by raxadian, Mar 23, 2019
  20. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Addict

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Was excited for 1 minute thinking Super Slim (when I read all Consoles) has a kernel exploit then saw it was just HAN:(

NULL