PS3Xploit updated to work on 4.84, bringing back webkit exploit

ps3xploit-logo.png

If you've been following the PS3 scene then you may already be familiar with PS3Xploit, a collection of tools which either allows you to install a fully fledged CFW on compatible models or act as a HAN enabler for the previously called "unhackable" ones. The tools were able to work under firmware 4.82, aka the latest OFW when they were originally released, however when 4.83 dropped (and later 4.84) it initally looked like the exploit they relied upon was patched. Still, it didn't take long for the dev team to figure out that wasn't the case, as Sony had just removed a webkit flaw that the team used as an entrypoint: if they found a way around it, the exploit could have been brought back and reused.

Today, they managed to do just that: the team has released a so-called "Hybrid Firmware" (HFW) which can be installed on top of Sony's Official Firmware and bring back the previously mentioned webkit exploit, thus making you able to use the already existing PS3Xploit tools again. The HFW is distributed as a PUP file and it can be installed via USB as any official update.

It should be underlined that the Hybrid Firmware is not a Custom Firmware by itself: it only acts as an enabler for the webkit exploit. Further modifications are required to either install a CFW (if possible) or use the HAN - if you need instructions on how to do that, you can use any previously written PS3Xploit guides. The HFW can also be uninstalled at all times, thus bringing you back to a clean system.

Follow the links below for more information, installation instructions and download links!

Sources:
:arrow: PS3Xploit.com
:arrow: Official HFW 4.84 Discussion Thread (PSX-Place.com)
:arrow: Official 4.84 Flasher/Dumper Discussion Thread (PSX-Place.com)

Last edited by Foxi4,

MeAndHax

Impolite person with some modding knowledge.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I’m not happy because this will mean even more stupid online Modders who are like 12 and 13 years old and feel cool because they followed an online tutorial and now cheat in an old game

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Pretty great news for those who still use their PS3!
I already plugged out mine, but I still play some games with RPCS3.

Impossible_Igntiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m not happy because this will mean even more stupid online Modders who are like 12 and 13 years old and feel cool because they followed an online tutorial and now cheat in an old game
I'm more pissed off about the lack of homebrew games and PC game ports to PS3 than i am with useless crap like online cheating

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't get it. So is not custom firmware. Just a modified version of official firmware, patched to allow exploiting? Like downgrading firmware without downgrading? :blink:
Kind of. I'll explain a bit more in detail:

HFW is just a slightly modified firmware that "sits on top" of Sony's. It only brings back the webkit flaw exploited by PS3Xploit, thus allowing you to use its tools again. I'm not really sure how the devs pulled it off as they're keeping it private for now but it's apparently something that can be patched easily.

That aside, HFW does nothing else. Once you have it, you can either downgrade to an earlier version and install CFW only if your PS3 can be downgraded or keep everything like it is and use HAN like you could on 4.82.

Reactions: x65943

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

HFW is just a slightly modified firmware that "sits on top" of Sony's. It only brings back the webkit flaw exploited by PS3Xploit, thus allowing you to use its tools again. I'm not really sure how the devs pulled it off as they're keeping it private for now but it's apparently something that can be patched easily.

That aside, HFW does nothing else. Once you have it, you can either downgrade to an earlier version and install CFW only if your PS3 can be downgraded or keep everything like it is and use HAN like you could on 4.82.
I guess that makes sense. :blink:

Though if it can just install like a regular update.pup file, shouldn't just be a custom firmware? Or is it cause not all systems can use custom firmware? :ninja:

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Though if it can just install like a regular update.pup file, shouldn't just be a custom firmware? Or is it cause not all systems can use custom firmware? :ninja:

Not all systems can use custom firmware.

But eventually when the PS3 finally dies, a way to hack all Ps3 systems might be found.

Reactions: tangotnt

Impossible_Igntiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Couldn't the Super Slim install custom firmware without needing to downgrade right?

SilverWah

CVS2 best game period.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I guess this has been asked a million times already but will I get a ban if I use CFW on my PS3?
I really don't want to get a ban because I'm learning GG Xrd Rev 2 at player lobby's and would like to keep my purchased content.

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

In the end, that's just a naming convention. Originally the devs wanted to call it Hybrid, Hackable, HAN ready - then they settled for just Hybrid Firmware.

In a way, yes, for all intents and purposes it's a modded (customized) firmware. Still, I think they didn't call it just "CFW" to avoid confusion as it doesn't allow for backup loading/homebrew by itself. :P

Does this mean I can now hack my 160 GB Ps3 Slim?
Couldn't the Super Slim install custom firmware without needing to downgrade right?
For PS3Xploit, compatibility is the same as it was before. Most Slim models can install CFW, only a few CECH-25XX and all of CECH-3XXX can not. You cannot install CFW on a Super Slim.
Regarding HAN, it's compatible with all current models and you don't need to downgrade in order to use it.

Last edited by RattletraPM,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over