Hacking Ps3Xploit -- How risky is it if you're mainly using it for PSX/PS2 backups?

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just found out about the ability to use CFW on some of the older slims and I figured I'd give it a go on mine. I was reading through the "ban behavior" thread though and I was wondering how common it is to get banned when you're only using the system for PSX and PS2 games? I don't plan to ever do any online gaming with it (in fact, I'd honestly rather not have a PSN account tied to it at all if that's possible) and I'll only be connecting it to the internet for the browser exploit. It'd be cool to play some PS3 backups on it one day but I can live without it.

Anyway, just wanted to ask the vets about this before I jump into it. Thanks in advance for the help :)

rufuszombot

Assassin
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done it with PSX/2/3/PSP games, and I even play online and don't use a dummy account. People like me can tell you that it's safe, and others will tell you it's not.
Personally, I haven't been banned ans i play daily. Your mileage may vary. Always use precaution.

PTKickass

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've been using it for playing online once in a while, and haven't been banned. As long as you don't use cheats and act like you're a normal user, it should be safe. I think I recall habib saying that HAN wasn't detectable by Sony over at PSX-Place...

EDIT: Here it is
unknown.png

Source: http://www.psx-place.com/threads/did-you-get-banned-using-ps3xploit-poll.17245/#post-114529

Last edited by PTKickass,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've done it with PSX/2/3/PSP games, and I even play online and don't use a dummy account. People like me can tell you that it's safe, and others will tell you it's not.
Personally, I haven't been banned ans i play daily. Your mileage may vary. Always use precaution.
My experience is very different to yours. I got system banned and all i was doing was playing ps1/ps2/ps3 games. Never once did I play online (simply because i hate online games) only thing i stupidly did was sync my trophies and a few days later I was banned. No great loss as like i said i dont play online and have never bought anything from the ps store.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS3 seems to be hands down the console with the most bans and easiest to get banned on. I'd personally remain very cautious to the point of getting your legit PSN profile the hell off of there.

PTKickass

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
My experience is very different to yours. I got system banned and all i was doing was playing ps1/ps2/ps3 games. Never onve did I play online (simply because i hate online games) only thing i stupidly did was sync my trophies and a few days later I was banned. No great loss as like i said i dont play online and have never bought anything from the ps store.

You were using CFW right? Using CFW online pretty much guarantees you a ban (unless you use spoofers). HAN on the other hand, seems to be online safe.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I just found out about the ability to use CFW on some of the older slims and I figured I'd give it a go on mine. I was reading through the "ban behavior" thread though and I was wondering how common it is to get banned when you're only using the system for PSX and PS2 games? I don't plan to ever do any online gaming with it (in fact, I'd honestly rather not have a PSN account tied to it at all if that's possible) and I'll only be connecting it to the internet for the browser exploit. It'd be cool to play some PS3 backups on it one day but I can live without it.

Anyway, just wanted to ask the vets about this before I jump into it. Thanks in advance for the help :)

I didn't notice the part where you said you were planning on using CFW :P

Anyway, as I said above, HAN is pretty much online safe. If all you want to do is to play PS2/PSX backups, and possibly some PS3 backups, then HAN is enough for you. It allows to do just that, and is mostly online safe. Haven't heard of anyone being banned by it (people that used it for online cheating don't count)

CFW allows you to do much more and opens the console to new stuff, like emulators and homebrew apps. But again, if all you plan to do is to play backups of PS3/PS2/PSX games, then go with HAN (PS3xploit 3.0) instead of CFW.

Reactions: Alacres

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You were using CFW right? Using CFW online pretty much guarantees you a ban (unless you use spoofers). HAN on the other hand, seems to be online safe.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I didn't notice the part where you said you were planning on using CFW :P

Anyway, as I said above, HAN is pretty much online safe. If all you want to do is to play PS2/PSX backups, and possibly some PS3 backups, then HAN is enough for you. It allows to do just that, and is mostly online safe. Haven't heard of anyone being banned by it (people that used it for online cheating don't count)

CFW allows you to do much more and opens the console to new stuff, like emulators and homebrew apps. But again, if all you plan to do is to play backups of PS3/PS2/PSX games, then go with HAN (PS3xploit 3.0) instead of CFW.

Yeah, that was my mistake. I'm not knowledgeable enough about this kind of stuff to know the proper distinctions. In any case, really glad to hear that the exploit is all I need to do this.

I was curious though -- is it necessary to have a PSN account tied to the PS3 for this to work and/or does the system need to be activated? I got this PS3 from a friend of mine and I think it still has his information on it, but I'll be purging it as soon as I power it on (I don't want his account to be at risk, in any way). I figured I could make a new PSN account if necessary, but if I don't need one for my purposes, I probably won't bother.

Thanks a lot for the help guys :)

Edit: Back on the topic of CFW, am I correct in assuming that once it's installed on your system, you don't need to run the web exploit anymore? Your system always boots into the CFW after that? If that's the case, couldn't I just install the CFW on it and then never connect it to the internet again? I like the sound of not needing to run that web exploit each time I turn it on.

Last edited by Alacres,

PTKickass

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, that was my mistake. I'm not knowledgeable enough about this kind of stuff to know the proper distinctions. In any case, really glad to hear that the exploit is all I need to do this.

I was curious though -- is it necessary to have a PSN account tied to the PS3 for this to work and/or does the system need to be activated? I got this PS3 from a friend of mine and I think it still has his information on it, but I'll be purging it as soon as I power it on (I don't want his account to be at risk, in any way). I figured I could make a new PSN account if necessary, but if I don't need one for my purposes, I probably won't bother.

Thanks a lot for the help guys :)

Edit: Back on the topic of CFW, am I correct in assuming that once it's installed on your system, you don't need to run the web exploit anymore? Your system always boots into the CFW after that? If that's the case, couldn't I just install the CFW on it and then never connect it to the internet again? I like the sound of not needing to run that web exploit each time I turn it on.

With CFW, you can go offline and never worry about enabling the exploit ever again. However, you can get banned if you try to go online with it.
With HAN, you need to run the web exploit each time you boot the system. Luckily, HAN Toolbox has a little shortcut and does it automatically if you press "Enable HAN" each time you boot the PS3. However, with HAN, you can go online and you don't need to worry about getting banned.

It's a matter of personal preference tbh...

Reactions: Alacres

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With CFW, you can go offline and never worry about enabling the exploit ever again. However, you can get banned if you try to go online with it.
With HAN, you need to run the web exploit each time you boot the system. Luckily, HAN Toolbox has a little shortcut and does it automatically if you press "Enable HAN" each time you boot the PS3. However, with HAN, you can go online and you don't need to worry about getting banned.

It's a matter of personal preference tbh...

I ended up going with the CFW and it's been working great so far. It does suck not being able to connect to the internet for FTP stuff but it seems like a small price to pay overall.

Thanks for the help :)

Reactions: PTKickass

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know, should people worry so much about getting their ps3 consoles banned now, in 2018?, probably most servers will last a year or 2 at best, so i would recommend you to just go for it, but create another account just to make sure.

Last edited by lordkaos,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over