Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
PS3 users the world over are reporting their consoles have been struck down by a mysterious series of bugs, leaving them unable to play games, connect to the PlayStation Network, or access save data.

However, the bug so far seemingly affects only older “fat” units.

A series of severe issues have so far been documented, summarised below:
  • The system’s date is reset to 2000/1/1.
  • The system can no longer connect to the Internet/PSN.
  • Local trophy data is lost.
  • Save data is lost.
  • Many games will no longer run offline or on.
  • At its most severe the machine will only return “error 8001050F.”
The bug only affects the pre-Slim models.

It is not clear whether the data loss is reversible at this stage.

The exact trigger is also unclear – machines have been affected globally, apparently even entirely offline units. Speculation has so far centred on PSN updates or a calendar bug. Sony has yet to issue any useful comment, though it says it is investigating.

The timing and nature of the bug has naturally also reminded some of the mythical “Sony timer” – how convenient it is that older models largely out of warranty are being broken whilst the PS3 Slim is unaffected and readily available as a replacement, their reasoning runs.

*snip

Heito

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, am I glad I was forced into getting the slim model when my old one gave me the yellow light of death a few weeks back!

This sounds horrible though! It's like y2k but for the ps3

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm...since its March 1st there's a theory going around that its something to do with Leap Year calculation, why the PS3 slims are unaffected is anybody's guess. I thought about warning my brother but I'm sure Sony will do a fix for him if he doesn't already know
tongue.gif

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh boy, can't wait to tell this to my friend who is a huge PS3 fanboy. He probably won't believe me, then he'll go home, turn on his PS3 (Unless he has a slim, but I don't think he does), and come back to school the next day and bitch at me for not telling him, like most people do.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ap831 said:
The timing and nature of the bug has naturally also reminded some of the mythical “Sony timer” – how convenient it is that older models largely out of warranty are being broken whilst the PS3 Slim is unaffected and readily available as a replacement, their reasoning runs.

*snip

Time for some words of wisdom from Shinji Mikami

QUOTEShinji Mikami, producer of Resident Evil and Devil May Cry, strongly criticized Sony and Square in a recent radio interview in Japan. Mikami accused Sony of purposely designing their consoles to break easily so that gamers will have to buy a replacement. He also said that Sony's high sales figures are helped by the fact that many gamers, himself included, have had to buy a second PlayStation and PlayStation 2.

From there, Mikami went on to accuse Sony of doing the same thing with their line of PCs, Walkmans, and cell phones. He asked why no one has complained about this and said that it was almost like cheating and committing a crime. The radio DJ tried to interrupt Mikami and shift the conversation to another topic, but when Mikami was asked if he thought Sony's customers are foolish, he replied, "Yes."

The thing is I always heard it was called the "Achilies Heel." Meaning there was always one part that broke just after the warranty expired. Like the lens assembly in the ps1 and ps2.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=236978

QUOTE said:
The PS3 community flocked to net forums this morning to complain of a wave of '8001050F' error codes, which have not only prevented connection to PSN but made some offline games unplayable - and even corrupted Trophy data.

Sony responded to the errors on its Twitter: "PSN status update: We're narrowing down the issue and continue to work to restore service to all. Updates as soon as we have them."

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
i call bullshit on this, this rumour was trolled by a xbox 360 fanboy, that is my guess.
Then why would PS3 owners be talking/complaining about it on a number of sites? I'm pretty sure those people wouldn't want to give the system they own (If they only own a PS3) even more bad rep than it already has.

kicknhorse

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I agree with the "Achilies Heel" of sony, mosto f the stuff I have had previous from Sony was like this.

Especcially an old sony computer (I know - embarrassing but there was reasons!) I had broke right after the warrenty, and because the parts were made so specific it would have cost an aweful lot to fix. So I took it all apart and its currently sitting in boxes (as so for about 2 years).

The only thing is, my PS1 (original) is still going! Touch wood. But everything else (right down to memory cards and controllers) do not last long.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c