PS3s approach XBox 360 Lifetime sales

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 3,703
  • Replies 36
D

Deleted User

OP
PS3's lifetime sales total is fast approaching Xbox 360's.

While Sony's console launched a year later than Microsoft's, sales of the two systems stood at 41.6 million and 44.6 million, respectively, as of September 30, the end of the companies' most recent financial quarters.

While Sony sold 3.5 million PS3s during the three month period, Microsoft moved 2.8 million 360s. If this adoption rate remains consistent over the coming quarters, lifetime PS3 sales would surpass 360's in about a year.

Of course, we're not Mystic Meg, and it's impossible to factor in whether Kinect or Move will be the bigger console shifter over the coming months, but we're looking forward to finding out.

~ http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=272775

MeritsAlone

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
(YES!!!) Dont know if this is good or bad, however its easy to see that the kinect have lost some of its shine together with its problems, bad hearing, no own processing power and the motion detector have had some problems.
I think sticks is the right way to go for now and not full body >_>

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i guesstimate that kinect will increase the monthly sales of xbox's by about 1.5 to 2x and possible more in december up until maybe february
Move is not that new while kinect (even though eyetoy came first, it wasn't anywhere near as popular as the wii) seems more revolutionary.

That said, I would prefer it if micro$oft wasn't so money hungry with increasing the price of Live etc.

Ahh I remember when £30 used to be an expensive game
smile.gif
those were the days.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
It's all the moves and kinects that are grooving the sales figure around yo, but judging by initial impressions, the PS3 sales will move with the groove of the motion bulb and hit a respectable total (one lower than Wii / DS of course) while the Xbox 360 sales will dis-kinect from the market, making Microsoft go into fury mode and thus, announcing a 360 Kynekt Wand (during E3 2011), one that tracks movement with a 3D camera.

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I can totally see PS3 overtaking Xbox pretty soon. I know lots of guys at my school getting a PS3 for Christmas, but not one getting an Xbox with Krapnect.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Wasn't expecting that to be so quick, but it's nice to see that Sony's back in the mix now with even the potential to overtake the Xbox 360 soon.

Unlike some people above, I personally won't think the PlayStation Move or the Kinect will have that much of a potential impact on hardware sales. I mean, both have a steep asking price. $150 for Kinect, and what was it $130 for the full set of Move controllers (2 Moves and a control stick)? Spending that much just to play certain games enabled for these types of motion controls really doesn't make sense, especially since both of their current software line-ups aren't exactly top-notch quality products either. That's just my two cents. Stronger titles that use the non-motion-based controllers will likely push hardware sales forward more than the new Kinect and Move titles.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox 360 will remain ahead of PS3 for the rest of the gen. Next gen Sony will be replaced by Apple in the console market. Sony is the new Sega.

I don't understand why PS3 fans get so "butt hurt" over being in last place. They gave EVERYONE shit during the reign of the PS1 and the PS2. Both were great systems that were hurt by the overzealous attitudes of the rabid Sony fanbase. Sony fans are only getting what they deserve. What goes around, comes around.

I still remember how hatefilled the Sony fanbase was towards the DS during the beginning of the DS vs PSP war. I still remember all those topics on GAF "Sell your DS, its all over!" My how the times have changed.

And in about a year we'll be hearing about new consoles. So this is all a moot point.

Oh and PS Move is already a flop. They shipped 1 million to NA (US, Mexico and Canada), and that number includes the Navi Controller, and they only sold 300k. A 3/10 sell through is a disaster.

--

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SPH73 said:
Xbox 360 will remain ahead of PS3 for the rest of the gen. Next gen Sony will be replaced by Apple in the console market. Sony is the new Sega.

I don't understand why PS3 fans get so "butt hurt" over being in last place. They gave EVERYONE shit during the reign of the PS1 and the PS2. Both were great systems that were hurt by the overzealous attitudes of the rabid Sony fanbase. Sony fans are only getting what they deserve. What goes around, comes around.

I still remember how hatefilled the Sony fanbase was towards the DS during the beginning of the DS vs PSP war. I still remember all those topics on GAF "Sell your DS, its all over!" My how the times have changed.

And in about a year we'll be hearing about new consoles. So this is all a moot point.

Oh and PS Move is already a flop. They shipped 1 million to NA (US, Mexico and Canada), and that number includes the Navi Controller, and they only sold 300k. A 3/10 sell through is a disaster.

--
I'm pretty sure that if the Xbox was in last place, Xbox fanboys would be "butthurt" too. I believe that the PS3 has more "mature" gamers, as there has not been 1 time that I have had somebody yell at me for being a "motherfuckingsnipingcockasssucker", of course, it may depend on the game, too, and because more people play the Xbox rather than the PS3 that there are more f@gs. Of course, it also depends on what the product is aimed at. I have fought many battles about which was better: PSP or DS, and I said every time that it depended on the age group that the product was targeted at, and the PSP is mainly for "older kids", who care about the gameplay and graphics, while the ds is for "all around" gamers, who just want a nice, fun game, and both consoles have their own great games.

BTW: I'm sorry if I confuse you in any way, as this is coming from a 12 year old gamer, and I don't think I have posted anything this long besides my own threads.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hikaru said:
I'm pretty sure that if the Xbox was in last place, Xbox fanboys would be "butthurt" too.

They already spent an entire generation in last place. They know how it feels. Trust me. PS2 had 150 million units sold and Xbox 1 had 20 million. That's gotta hurt.

Hikaru said:
I believe that the PS3 has more "mature" gamers,

I think that's black PR spin. You hear that accusation a lot in the media.

Hikaru said:
as there has not been 1 time that I have had somebody yell at me for being a "motherf***ingsnipingcockasssucker",

That's only because most 360 models come with a Microphone while the PS3 does not. But still, I hate rude gamers and I choose only to play with friends because of this problem. I feel you on this one. Trust me.

QUOTE(Hikaru @ Nov 1 2010, 08:49 PM)
BTW: I'm sorry if I confuse you in any way, as this is coming from a 12 year old gamer, and I don't think I have posted anything this long besides my own threads.

Not at all. You've done an excellent job of making your point. It doesn't mean that I agree with everything that you have said, but you've done very well in presenting your argument. Kudos my good man. You're smart for someone so young.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SPH73 said:
Hikaru said:
I'm pretty sure that if the Xbox was in last place, Xbox fanboys would be "butthurt" too.

They already spent an entire generation in last place. They know how it feels. Trust me. PS2 had 150 million units sold and Xbox 1 had 20 million. That's gotta hurt.

Last time I checked the Gamecube was in last place last gen. Or the Dreamcast if you want to count that but not many people do.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
Last time I checked the Gamecube was in last place last gen. Or the Dreamcast if you want to count that but not many people do.

Only in the States, the rest of the world the GC did better than the xbox (well best anyone can work out as the USA and Japan are the only regions with decent/reliable hardware statistics). But there was only 2/3 million units in it really, so I'm guessing Ninty made much more money than MSs xbox division.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've noticed there are quite a few X360's on eBay from where people are getting PS3's, i've also noticed people who carpet bagged Kinect Preorders aren't doing that great for example http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kinect-Xbox-360-PRE-...=item4154159306.

Personally I don't see why people would switch, there's little to choose between the consoles. I imagine it's just the current fashion trend.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thoob said:
I can totally see PS3 overtaking Xbox pretty soon. I know lots of guys at my school getting a PS3 for Christmas, but not one getting an Xbox with Krapnect.

Indeed this be true neither are any of them getting Wiis but thats understandable since Ninty sold one to every person in the entire world.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
shakirmoledina said:
is the jailbreak a reason or is it just cause we now see good games coming to the ps3?
personally my interest in the ps3 has increased since around ff13 (mainly after groove)

I would say the jailbreak has had a minimal effect at best, I would argue the PS3 having a much more reasonable price than it had at launch has had a lot to do with it. Consumers may have wanted a PS3 since launch but the pricee had put them off.
I would say there is also a good libary of console exclusives, Uncharted 2, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, God of War III, Ratchet and Clank, Heavy Rain, Disgaea and Demon's Souls.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It isn't good nor bad. It just says people prefer the PS3 no it ain't that expensive anymore..

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tk_saturn said:
I've noticed there are quite a few X360's on eBay from where people are getting PS3's, i've also noticed people who carpet bagged Kinect Preorders aren't doing that great for example http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kinect-Xbox-360-PRE-...=item4154159306.

Personally I don't see why people would switch, there's little to choose between the consoles. I imagine it's just the current fashion trend.

Of course there is reason to switch. From a price standpoint, the PS3 is becoming the better value console. With a stable and reliable online system that is free of charge, HD video capabilities, 7.1 surround sound support, larger hard drive capacity options and whatnot, it's easy to see why the PS3 is gaining a lot of ground with the price dropping. Sony will probably move more units this holiday season then Microsoft because even the base model of the PS3 is still of better value overall then the cheapest 360 which is basically a welfare console with a puny hard drive and almost no online access aside from downloading stuff for your console which is pointless without a big hard drive. The base model of the PS3 is still 100 dollars more then the cheapest 360, but the value is certainly there.

I think in the bigger picture the PS3 is going to be more popular in the next year or two because of the increasing value. All the little things like batteries for controllers, paying for the online and whatnot all add up in the end.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended