PS3Break -- Telling Real from Fake

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Sep 21, 2010.

Sep 21, 2010
  1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    PS3Break -- Telling Real from Fake
    Official Information
    [​IMG]

As with all popular electronics, people sit and wait until they can offer up an exploited cloned version to the public. The problem with clones is that they are not maintained and eventually hurt the sales of the legit products, resulting in dropped support. To help save the consumer from headaches, the official PS3Break Team has posted images of what the "real" device looks like. If you are interested in purchasing this device, be sure to read the article, linked below.

[​IMG] PS3Break Truth

2. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

for those wondering, Shoptemp has been selling the REAL one as described on the good pictures.
    OSW has received his sample from shoptemp and will be posting the review soon.
    Though Shoptemp has stopped selling them because the newer (though real) versions were not upgreadable, or not easily upgradable for some reason and people started legimitately complaining.

3. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    That explains the PS3 Break, but what about the other PS3 jailbreaker that shoptemp were selling? The USBBREAK?
    I dunno, I really get the feeling here there's something more than meets the eye.

Also lol jewelry on shoptemp.
    [​IMG]

The snake thing is kinda cool.

4. No Name Trowa Barton

Member No Name Trowa Barton Namaiki iun-ja naiyo™

United States
  5. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    I think the idea was ease of use, convenience and software support from the manufacturers but whatever.

6. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    Costello,
    I've like to review the snake bracelet! Can we make that happen. =P

-Another World

7. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    i guess trusted sources are what matters now... its difficult to test something like this after u buy it

8. Bloodlust

Member Bloodlust GBAtemp Maniac

Hong Kong
    Most of the clones being sold are not upgradable... oh well..

9. indask8

Member indask8 New Member Forever

France
    I bought it from shoptemp, not because it was updatable just because it's convenient (small, easy to use).

for the upgrade of psgroove I have my dingoo with dingux/psgroove 1.1 on a microSD.

So as long as the ps3break I will receive (certainly this week, maybe tonight when I come back from work) is genuine, I'm happy. [​IMG]

10. UnitGGChamp

Newcomer UnitGGChamp Advanced Member

United States
    anyone know why they stop selling them?

11. elmoreas

Member elmoreas GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Here is my 2 cents on what is going on. The original PS3Jailbreak team invested alot of time and money and had to charge a decent amount for their product, which probably was upgradable, but so many clones came out and actually beat them to market because of the release of samples to unscrupulous dealers, they delayed shipping in hopes they could make a break through on 3.42 that no one else would have and set them apart. When that did not happen they basically called it quits. As of today 2 listed distributors on their site have still not gotten their shipment of real PS3Jailbreaks. Furthermore the clones and the clones of the clones are highly suspect on being upgradable. So you really have 2 choices, stay on 3.41 and do not go online and stay away from new games like F1 or use a device you can flash yourself and use it for now and see if a workaround for 3.42/3.50 and newer games come out.

12. No Name Trowa Barton

United States
    i hate to say it but if there is a work around it will be ported to ps3groove, and now that sony knows how it works its been patched meaning usb wont be the way to exploit the system in the future. it took how many years before the ps3 was hacked? and sony used the psp as a precurser to figure out how to keep stuff sold. only reasion this hack happens is because someoen stole a jig stick from a repair center and reverse engenered it.

with the new frimware this "service mode" that the entire thing relys on isnt changed. its removed.

as for ease of use i have a touch pro 2 all i had to do was copy some files to my sd card and push a icon and thats basicaly it. then plug it into the ps3.

back in wii hacking days i used a pic programmer to make a modchip for the wii before softmodding was out.

with upgradablity ps3groove is right up there and recived 2 major upgrades byond any ps3keys right off the git go including lv2 firmware acess.

any perponent of the stick is just in it for the $$ which dosnt matter because the inital developers are being sued for tons of money while the cloners are making a run for more money.

ill stick with ps3groove as i suport open sorce free ideas.

as a final note I believe there will be a 3.50 cfw in the near future. But I doubt they will find a way to hack ps3's on 3.42+ any time soon. upgrading past 3.41 is kind of stupid and would render your console unhackable. so the only way the cfw's could be installed is trough a hacked 3.41 fw ps3. This is just speculation though, so don't be mad if I turn out to be wrong. i mean they have a seperate frimware loader now so you can load frimware off of usb hdd.

13. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Source?

14. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    OT: but will the real ps3key be available on shoptemp?

15. No Name Trowa Barton

United States
    lol sure thing the sorce on the missing service mode is based on the fact that the jig dosnt work on it any more *nor do officeal ones* for proof update to the latest frimware version and try any forum of payload on it you like.

a while back in jan of 09 the files confurming the jig exist where leaked

read about it here http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=8584

FAQs arnt end all be alls. infact they often lack sorce links and can be slightly misleading .

16. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Okay, how about you actually do what I said and read the FAQ? I'm not telling you to read it just for you to ignore it.

This is an original exploit, it does not use the jig, it makes use of a stack overflow, and if you'd check the damn link in the reverse-engineering report (linked in the FAQ) an overflow attack is extremely easy to fix once you know where it's located. The fix can be as small as two new lines (one of them a closing brace!) in a high-level language.

Nothing to do with the jig or removing the service mode.

This is explained quite clearly, if you'd just read the damned FAQ (which is why I told you to read it).