Hardware PS3 Super Slim Turns itself off, I need your help guys! Before I go crazy...

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
So guys that is my problem my PS3 Super Slim shuts itself off by itself.

I have HFW and PS3HEN installed. And my model of PS3 is 4001B. It is random, sometimes I can play for an hour and then shuts off, sometimes 5 minutes and it shuts itself off, but it always happens.

At first I thought it was the power supply model APS-330, so I used my multimeter and I got 6,4V out of the 5,5v line, and I also got 16v from the 12v line. I thought, here is the issue, so I replaced the big 450v capacitor on the PSU (not cheap). And sure I got 13v out of the 12v line, and the PS3 lasted a bit more being turned on, I was celebrating! :toot: But THEN nope, the same thing happened, it shut off by itself again!!

This is driving me nuts, I was about to purchase a new PSU, but I have read that this specific model has this "shuts off by itself" problem, which I have heard it has nothing to do with the PSU!!

Guys help me please! I don't know what the problem could be! My temperatures are great, because I have measure them, I have replaced the thermal paste, the PS3 is super clean, the bluray is working perfectly, and my HDD is perfect (I tested it on my PC). I just dont know :blink:

"Any help" would be appreciated guys! I am desperate.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart
Nashismo

Last edited by nashismo,

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Another thing is that the red light on the PS3 never goes off, and I can always turn the console on again. It simply shuts off when some time passes. For example if I plug an external HDD to load ISOS from it, it always shuts down within a couple of minutes. It lasts more when I play a game from an original disc.

That is the only other info I can think off.

HollowGrams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another thing is that the red light on the PS3 never goes off, and I can always turn the console on again. It simply shuts off when some time passes. For example if I plug an external HDD to load ISOS from it, it always shuts down within a couple of minutes. It lasts more when I play a game from an original disc.

That is the only other info I can think off.

Hows the thermal paste looking?

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hows the thermal paste looking?

Is looking great, I replaced it twice actually, I get very good temps, in the 50's when idle and in the 60's when playing games. It is something else. I saw a guy on Youtube who had to take out the Wifi module completely and then he stopped having problems (on the PS3 Super Slim). But I truly don't know, because in his case, the PS3 would not even turn on (not my case).

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could be remembering wrong, but I remember there being an issue with dynamic fan and hen to where the hypervisor gets confused. it causes the system to shut off from what I remember. I don't know if it's random though, but it could be. it's best to leave the fan speed at a certain rate iirc, not use temp thresholds.

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
could be remembering wrong, but I remember there being an issue with dynamic fan and hen to where the hypervisor gets confused. it causes the system to shut off from what I remember. I don't know if it's random though, but it could be. it's best to leave the fan speed at a certain rate iirc, not use temp thresholds.

Thank you godreborn, but sadly these issues where happening even before modding the console... I mean I would have no problem buying a new PSU, but I just "know" that the problem would persist.

Reactions: HollowGrams

HollowGrams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you godreborn, but sadly these issues where happening even before modding the console... I mean I would have no problem buying a new PSU, but I just "know" that the problem would persist.

Have you tried to disable internet and test.

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Have you tried to disable internet and test.

I disabled the Internet and also returned webman mod fan speed to syscon and minimum speed to disabled. The PS3 shut itself off in exactly 6 minutes after starting to play a game.

I really don't know, the real question is, could buying a new PSU fix the problem? Because from what I can tell, the volt measurements are correct.

Nomado

Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
have you checked flex ribbon cables on power and eject button board? After repasting a couple of times and putting that cable back and forth several times. One day my PS3 just shut off and wouldn't turn on. It still had red light but nothing happened when I pressed eject and power buttons. I disassembled and checked ribbon cable carefully and there it was. Just where it plugged into MB, 2 traces had broken off. After confirming that I just snipped that part with scissor and plugged it back in. It has been fine since then.

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
have you checked flex ribbon cables on power and eject button board? After repasting a couple of times and putting that cable back and forth several times. One day my PS3 just shut off and wouldn't turn on. It still had red light but nothing happened when I pressed eject and power buttons. I disassembled and checked ribbon cable carefully and there it was. Just where it plugged into MB, 2 traces had broken off. After confirming that I just snipped that part with scissor and plugged it back in. It has been fine since then.

I understand but no, it has no problem turning on and off using the buttons. My question remains though, are my voltages OK on my PSU? If anyone knows, please share.

1controller

Trophies
XP
Country
Nigeria
@nashismo the issue is from the 12v supply. Since you said the red standby light stays on. Get a Razor blades or any handy blade, scratch the two contact terminal iron that the power sits on. And also close the teeth and scratch the 12v terminal too of the ps3 power pack. It should fix the problem.

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
@nashismo the issue is from the 12v supply. Since you said the red standby light stays on. Get a Razor blades or any handy blade, scratch the two contact terminal iron that the power sits on. And also close the teeth and scratch the 12v terminal too of the ps3 power pack. It should fix the problem.
I ended up selling it bro. Thank you anyways. I learned that the Super Slim PS3 sucks! :)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ended up selling it bro. Thank you anyways. I learned that the Super Slim PS3 sucks! :)

believe me, I understand. I bought a super slim 12GB a couple weeks ago, and I had nothing but problems with the ps store. I didn't have any mechanical issues, but the ps store wouldn't let me buy anything.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I just bought one! 2511A, and according to the hack list, it should be hackable. But then I run Minver, and it shows 3.60? Which of course means it is not hackable (CFW).

Is minver accurate? Thank you for stopping by :)
Just use HEN, most of the useful CFW options are there

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    StatusN @ StatusN: hi, i need help with unbanning my 3ds, can somebody show me a link to a seed that still works...