PS3 Running Backups (Almost!)

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Darkforce, Jun 9, 2007.

Jun 9, 2007
  1. Darkforce
    OP

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    News is a day or two old but hadn't seen it posted yet:

All pretty interesting stuff! I guess it won't be long now till we see backups running on the PS3. The question is, for all those non PS3 owners would the ability to play backups tempt you to to buy the machine? - I'm sure a breakthrough would have a positive effect on the sales of PS3 consoles!

[​IMG]

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    It may boost PS3 sales but it would be another nail in Sony's coffin as that console depends on game sales.

Great news anyway, it won't make me buy it though.

3. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Hopefully this progresses further. I don't think many ps3 owners can create blu-ray backups, so many the ability to play off HDD will be developed [​IMG]

unless the ps3 can burn blu-ray disks, but I don't think it can >_>

4. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    Assuming that there isn't a loader any time soon it will be very expensive to play backups. The BluRay writers start at about £350 and the discs at £10.

It means you would have to backup 9 games atleast before it is worth it.

5. sabinraijin

Member sabinraijin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah that's a good two days worth of downloads [​IMG]

6. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    On the other hand, Sony depends on huge sales of the console itself, because that creates a bigger customer base, which attracts more developers, which gives us more games, which in turn draws more gamers to the console. If at one point the production cost of the PS3 drops, and they stop losing money on every console (and there's a high probability), the sales upswing will cover their losses and start generating profit. The same thing happened with the PS2, and is currently happening with the X360.

7. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    LittleBigPlanet & Ninja Gaiden Sigma are the ones I really want to play, there are a few big hitters but which I'm only just curious about as I'm not fussed about those franchises. Everything else head to PC & 360 as well.

I'm sure there'll be some good PS3 exclusives but nothing worth paying £425 for.

8. spas

Member spas GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Just like in the old days of 56k I think the trading is going to begin. Running around and swapping your blu ray and hd dvd discs with freinds because they are too stupidly big to download and far too big to even consider re ripping the compressed into native HD format.

Me:
    Address + 2nd Class Stamp + 1080p = [​IMG]

Trades!

9. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Sony will be fine just give them a year or two [​IMG]

10. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    I say 3 or even 4 years lol. Blu-Ray burners cost as much as the PS3 and the discs are around 30-$40 apiece. The prices will go down eventually but honestly everything about the PS3 is too fucking expensive IMO!!!

Running games from the HDD is way more economical so I think that would be the much better route for now. But still, using 20-30 gigs of bandwidth for downloading ONE game literally sickens me lol [​IMG]

11. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    I remember when the PS1 was released cd burners cost $2000 and disks were very expensive too.

hopefully we see a price drop soonish.

12. moribund112

Newcomer moribund112 Advanced Member

China
    Taiwanese pressing factories are beginning to press Blu-Ray recordable discs at the end of this fiscal year, and once the Asians begin pressing them the price will drop considerably.
    When Blu-Ray burners came out at the end of last year they were around 800-1000USD, now one can be bought for around $400 depending on the model and type.
    Technology is developing fast, and the prices for this type of media will go down once it becomes an accepted new format and beats out HD-DVD.
    As of now if you check Amazon you can purchase some types of Blu-Ray 25GB discs for about $12 I believe. Not too shabby!

13. SlyGuy

Member SlyGuy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Honestly, this may be an odd thing to say, but piracy-capable is now a key feature when I am purchasing a new console. It allows me to play games that I may never have tried if I had to go out and buy it and it saves me the trouble of trying to rush through a game because I have rented it. It also frees up my cash to buy hardware accessories!

If the PS3 could play backups reliably, I would buy it tomorrow. In fact, I'm holding off on a purchase of an XBOX360 simply because games like Final Fantasy, Champions of Norrath, Virtua Fighter, God of War and Metal Gear Solid are among my favourites and are likely to be PS3 exclusives

14. SlyGuy

Member SlyGuy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    P.S. How long will it be before someone tries this method with a true blue Blu-ray?