Slower than a 90s modem
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Heya, Tempers!!!

Welcome to another review by, iFish!

This time around I am reviewing the PS3!
nayps3.gif

[title:PS3 picture]
Reviewpic14.jpg

I’m going to skip the introduction since it’s a console. It doesn’t have a story, plot, etc. The list of features will be brief and to the point.

Features
• Blu-Ray
• Plays Games! (duh…)
• PlayStation Network
• Multimedia center
• HDMI out of the box

The packaging! And what you get in the box!

The box is just ‘fine’. Nothing extremely nice and sexy but it protects the console like it should.

[title:PS3 box]
Reviewpic15.jpg

It is packed with cardboard to keep the console from becoming loose and shit. I guess that is nice of them!
tongue.gif

Reviewpic13.jpg

If you got this shipped to you online, I would think that it would get damaged due to the fragile nature of the box. Your system might not be in working order. I recommend just going to the store and picking it up if possible just to be safe. It is the same price purchasing it online and at the store anyways.

What comes in the box?
• 1 DualShock 3 (PS Triple controller)
• PS triple *weird huh? I would have never thought they would give us this*
• Telly (T.V) connectors
• Power adapter
• Instruction Booklets

What! No power brick!!! ;P

Setup and use:

If you’ve had or own a PSP or PSX (PSX only came out in japan) you will be right at home with the XMB (Xross Media Bar) These are the categories

• Users
• Settings
• Pictures
• Music
• Videos
• Games
• Network
• Internet (I think that’s the name of it)
• Friends

Explanation:
Users: To be honest, I’m not really sure what this is since I am the only person using the PS3. Sorry! :/
Settings: You can change settings. The name says it all
Pictures: You can store your pictures here and make slideshows of them.
Music: You can have music play here. The name says it all (again). You can also stream music like I do.
Videos: This is where you can view your videos or stream them from your PC to watch on your PS3
Game: Here, you can play your game discs, demos, PlayStation “Minis” and find your game save data.
Network: You can access the PlayStation Store and PlayStation Home. There is more.
Internet: You can browse the web… that’s about it.
Friends: This lets you add and talk to your friends. You can also setup game parties with friends!

Online functions (PlayStation Network)

This is amazing! It’s free, very fast and sleek looking! I was going to say the network never went down but that would be lying! :< When downloading stuff it goes really fast!! Online Match making is fast and easy! I have never lost connection online like I often do on Wii!
mad.gif

System!

It’s built like a brick! It has a very nice build quality. I would expect that from such a rich company! :/
The slim model I have does not have the same technical problems as the phat (ex. yellow light of death, February problem, etc.) But, it does get VERY warm! I cannot compare it to the Xbox 360 since I’ve never used one. It is also super heavy! Heavier than my school laptop! I am not going to give it a number score because it isn’t a game.

DualShock III

The DualShock 3 feels really good in your hand! It was ergonomically designed to fit in your hand! It feels nice and looks nice. It is wireless and doesn’t require AA/AAA batteries! It has a built in Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery! You just plug it into the PS3 to charge it!!
nayps3.gif
The L2 and R2 buttons are triggers. It’s a love or hate thing. Some people like it and others simply do not. I like it but my fingers tend to slip on them.
But you know….
Haters Gonna hate

[title:DualShock 3]
Reviewpic12.jpg

Pros:
• Rich access to media
• Well built
• Free online!
• Nice library of games!
• Aimed at an older audience (Well… this is good for me, haha)
• Quick download speeds (Depends on web traffic)
• Upgradable HDD… no need to buy anything special. (Yes, I’m looking at you 360)
• Blu-Ray
• HDMI ready out of the box

Cons
• Heavy (Cannot put it in my bag and bike with it)
• Gets hot
• Lost some features that the Phat had (PS2 playback, others….)
• Expensive… starting price at 300$

Conclusion!

It is a console that is getting better every day. I remember when it used to be about 800$! Now that it is at a 300$ base price and is getting a better library of games each month I say go for it!

~ifish

Kudos to luke_c and SoulSnatcher
luke_c for helping me test this!
SoulSnatcher for editing it!

For people who care, this is what a PSX is

This review has been written for GBAtemp.net DS database ONLY! If you see it anywhere else shoot me a PM
The pictures were also taken by me. PM me if you see them anywhere else as well.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, can't believe I'm saying this ifish, but great review! It's very thorough with details. Though you should of gone with the Xbox 360.
nayps3.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nice review, Fishy!
nayps3.gif

I should definately buy a DualShock3 for my PS3 Fat
unsure.gif

By the way, the PS3 Fat too gets really hot!
frown.gif
And it's also actually a lot heavier than my 360 :/

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very professional looking, great job to the entire team on this. It's almost akin to the official GBAtemp reviews by Another World and the like, in structure and pictures and stuff.

Rest assured, SMG2 review is upcoming this weekend.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
xist said:
QUOTE said:
The L2 and R2 buttons are triggers.

Wut? I thought that they were just shoulder buttons...
Yeah, I believe he wanted to say 'the L3 and R3 buttons'. At least I would say that.

Anyways, I must say this is a great review, ifish! Very nicely structured and no typos! (although that's probably Revolutionize's doing, but whatever)

I didn't know the price dropped that much either, seems like it's now just a little bit more expensive than a Wii. If I ever get enough money, I might buy one.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
360 Pad?

Not owning a 360 or a PS3 my reference is the PS2 pad and the triggers on the Dreamcast and original Xbox pads. I thought that the PS3 just had slightly enlarged L2 and R2 shoulder buttons rather than proper triggers like the DC and Xbox. As for L3 and R3...aren't they still just depressing the sticks?

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Overlord Nadrian said:
xist said:
QUOTE said:
The L2 and R2 buttons are triggers.

Wut? I thought that they were just shoulder buttons...
Yeah, I believe he wanted to say 'the L3 and R3 buttons'. At least I would say that.

Anyways, I must say this is a great review, ifish! Very nicely structured and no typos! (although that's probably Revolutionize's doing, but whatever)

I didn't know the price dropped that much either, seems like it's now just a little bit more expensive than a Wii. If I ever get enough money, I might buy one.

I really did not have many typos! i can happily show you the original unedited copy :/

@Guild, team!?!? it was just me and my editor SoulSnatcher.. but luke_c helped me test the online match making *i got shoot to death
frown.gif

And, the L2 and R2 are triggers. the L3 and R3 are just the thumb sticks that click
tongue.gif

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great review. I bought a PS3 a few months back and I love it.

As for the buttons, yes, the L2 and R2 buttons are triggers. They kinda suck though =/ I bought little plastic attachments that make them much better for like $5 off Amazon.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
hmmm, nice review but it needs to be a little less informal, maybe a bit more content
and alsoi touch up some of the negatives, not just all the positives

make it something like an AW review
mthrnitesmiley.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉