(PS3) playing NTSC PS1 title on PAL TV through scart cable shows black and white

duskfall

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hello everyone.
I bought a bunch of digital games from the American PSN for various reasons.
While these games play fine using HDMI on a modern TV, they display as black and white when connected through SCART to my PAL TV.
Is there any way to fix this? Will this happen if I order a Japanese PS2 and connect it to my PAL TV as well?(Will Japanese games be black and white)
This is the cable I have, is it a 'fake' scart?

Attachments

• 71F-wpMLA3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71F-wpMLA3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited by duskfall,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
1) That's just composite through SCART, it's legit but not RGB
2) It sounds like your TV is incompatible with NTSC, at least that's my experience

duskfall

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If my TV can't play NTSC then why di Japanese games play fine on my modded PS2? Does it 'convert' something?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
If my TV can't play NTSC then why di Japanese games play fine on my modded PS2? Does it 'convert' something?

It really depends on what is being outputted, I know from experience such as my region modded Mega Drive that a B&W picture can happen with NTSC on PAL.

What is the output settings on the PS3 and to confirm does PAL content display correctly?

MottZilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your TV supports RGB through SCART then you should just find the proper RGB SCART cable for whichever Playstation you are using. With RGB you don't have to worry about NTSC or PAL. Not to mention the picture quality is superior.

Reactions: mrgone

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most things will support different rates if sold in Europe.
Check there is not a button somewhere that you need to press to change the mode -- I had an old Samsung CRT a while back that I had to set into a mode by pressing I think it was on the coloured teletext buttons.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It really depends on what is being outputted, I know from experience such as my region modded Mega Drive that a B&W picture can happen with NTSC on PAL.
i can confirm this behavior

ntsc output is basically split into 2 signals:
luminance (the black and white part) and chrominance (colors)
on composite, luminance is transferred on the yellow plug
on scart: if it's a fully populated connector (a proper scart cable, not like the adapter shown in the OP pic, got plenty of those myself), chrominance is also transferred and it should be in full color
but it has to be noted, that not every scart port on a tv is fully populated. ports labelled recorder and the like were in my experience not RGB

regarding the full-color if played on a modded ps2:
i never had a ps2, but i can guess:
maybe the ps2 firmware forces them to PAL ? like pal/ntsc patches of the psx/ps2 era

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It will work fine with a proper scart cable and not a composite to scart adapter. I went through several before I found a decent one wired correctly for outputting NTSC to a compliant PAL CRT... and that's the other thing, your TV will need to be able to display NTSC (the majority of PAL market CRT's produced don't, but most late model, non budget, versions should).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
your TV will need to be able to display NTSC (the majority of PAL market CRT's produced don't, but most late model, non budget, versions should).
If by majority you are including anything produced in the 1960s on up then maybe. Most things still running today would be late 80s at best and those would by and large support NTSC/60Hz, might have even been a requirement. I don't know what went for the last ones farted out before the concept died though, though I can imagine them being as awful as most end stage dying tech concepts tend to be.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If by majority you are including anything produced in the 1960s on up then maybe. Most things still running today would be late 80s at best and those would by and large support NTSC/60Hz, might have even been a requirement. I don't know what went for the last ones farted out before the concept died though, though I can imagine them being as awful as most end stage dying tech concepts tend to be.
In my experience, virtually all TV's produced for the EU market were PAL only (some meant for areas of continental Europe were PAL/SECAM) up to the very early 90's. NTSC only began to get added to higher end models with the prevalence of dual format VHS and Laserdisk players in the market in the early half of the 90's.
True, most TV's produced after the mid 90's could decode NTSC, but there were still a significant number of budget models that were PAL only as a cost reducing means.
NTSC/60 wouldn't become a requirement until analogue TV was phased out.

Up until the early to mid 90's the only way to view NTSC on a PAL TV was to get hold of a not inexpensive standalone converter...

analogue-adapter_9672-1.jpg

...not the model I had (and definitely over a decade newer based on it mentioning DVD on the box), but nice to see Mayflash were around filling a niche in the market way back then.

Last edited by duwen,

duskfall

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Okay guys, marking this as solved, I ordered a true RGB scart cable from retrogamingcables and the NTSC games play fine on my PAL TV now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse