Hardware ps3 overheating... caused by ferrox cobra cfw? in desperate need of help!!

rumorsaretrue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tunisia
ok so i kept my ps3 in storage 2 years ago bc of this overheating and loud fan problem i had when the guy first modded it for me and we had to replace the fan 2 times bc of this overheating problem. i read a few rants about this cfw causing some overheating problems and i figured it might be the problem, feel free to spare solutions?? what should i do??? i cant almost game freely and comfortably without stressing out abt whether the noise or the system overheating. should i upgrade to another cfw? and which?? im on ferrox cobra 4.80 v7.3

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would take a look at the core temps and the fan speeds it has been set to. I would also clean out the system since it's been in storage for a while. Put fresh thermal paste on the CPU and GPU, and see if you continue to have the issues. Never heard of CFW causing overheating before tbh

rumorsaretrue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tunisia
I would take a look at the core temps and the fan speeds it has been set to. I would also clean out the system since it's been in storage for a while. Put fresh thermal paste on the CPU and GPU, and see if you continue to have the issues. Never heard of CFW causing overheating before tbh
welp sounds like too much effort but before the guy modded it it was quite fine and very smooth and quiet i would game on it for like the whole day and it would still be cool, thats when it was on 3.55, modded. i dont think theres ever a problem in the thernal paste or cpu or whatever it was when the guy updated it to that cfw, it started overheating even after a fresh cleaning, he mightve also mentioned that it was overheating during the installation. do u suggest using fan utility control or any likewise app to control the fan speed? or idk anything else lol. sorry if i came out as a noobie

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
welp sounds like too much effort but before the guy modded it it was quite fine and very smooth and quiet i would game on it for like the whole day and it would still be cool, thats when it was on 3.55, modded. i dont think theres ever a problem in the thernal paste or cpu or whatever it was when the guy updated it to that cfw, it started overheating even after a fresh cleaning, he mightve also mentioned that it was overheating during the installation. do u suggest using fan utility control or any likewise app to control the fan speed? or idk anything else lol. sorry if i came out as a noobie
What I suggest is doing what I previously mentioned above. If you don't understand what I'm talking about then Google it or look up some videos on YouTube as they would be much more explanatory.

rumorsaretrue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tunisia
What I suggest is doing what I previously mentioned above. If you don't understand what I'm talking about then Google it or look up some videos on YouTube as they would be much more explanatory.
no no i clearly understand. but aint there another way? like controlling the fan speed or something

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Install webman. This has built in fan control. Load it up and tell it the minimum fan speed you want. Highest core temps to reach and if you set 80c as example. It goes to 81c, the fan will increase speed to get it below the temps. The CFW wouldn’t have caused the overheating if any. CFW still has the fan set to be controlled by syscon. Which is the same as official firmware.

Also reading, “loud fan problem” in CFW you can get the speed of the fan to be 100% if you want, which will cause breaking of the fan due to wear and tear. You need to check your temps.

Last edited by jellybeangreen2,

rumorsaretrue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tunisia
Install webman. This has built in fan control. Load it up and tell it the minimum fan speed you want. Highest core temps to reach and if you set 80c as example. It goes to 81c, the fan will increase speed to get it below the temps. The CFW wouldn’t have caused the overheating if any. CFW still has the fan set to be controlled by syscon. Which is the same as official firmware.

Also reading, “loud fan problem” in CFW you can get the speed of the fan to be 100% if you want, which will cause breaking of the fan due to wear and tear. You need to check your temps.
well do u have any ideas about a fitting setting for the fan? i dont wanna do ones on my own and risk bricking it lol

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well do u have any ideas about a fitting setting for the fan? i dont wanna do ones on my own and risk bricking it lol
Yep. As said, download webman. Install it. Load up webman settings and go to fan control and change it as you desire. After installing webman go in a game. Play for 15 mins. Pres start and select and it shows you your cpu and rsx. My slim is at 30% if I remember

Reactions: rumorsaretrue

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yep. As said, download webman. Install it. Load up webman settings and go to fan control and change it as you desire. After installing webman go in a game. Play for 15 mins. Pres start and select and it shows you your cpu and rsx. My slim is at 30% if I remember
Unfortunately it sounds like they're looking for a fix that results in them not having to do anything. You have to do research and enjoy looking up information if you plan on using CFW on any console.

Reactions: D34DL1N3R

Haizum74

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

It only takes an hour first time to get into the innards of your PS3 and re do the thermal paste.

Beyond that there is only a fan control install but that will only help so far. Both together and you will be sorted plus you can give it a clean out at the same time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol