PS3 outsells Wii in Japan In November

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Hadrian, Nov 30, 2007.

Nov 30, 2007
  1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    From IGN, but reported at most places:

"Sony's price drop over in Japan appears to have had some initial success. A report from Reuters, citing sales data from Enterbrain, places the PS3 at the top of the console heap for the month of November. The PS3, which saw its 40 gigabyte model ship at 39,980 yen on 11/11, sold 183,200 units, besting the Wii's 159,200.

This is the first time the PS3 has beaten the Wii in Japan since November of last year. The PS3 won that month, likely because the Wii hadn't been released yet.

Asked about the figures, Sony's PR division said to Reuters, "We weren't a part of the Enterbrain survey, and we don't know Nintendo's figures." To this, they added, "We do feel that the platform is heating up thanks to the availability of the 40 gigabyte system, the expanded software library, and the price drop."

The PS3 wasn't the biggest performer for the month overall, though. That honor went, once again, to the DS Lite, which sold 358,200 units over the month, beating out second place PSP's 266,100 units.

At the bottom of the chart was the Xbox 360, which sold 35,000 units. This is more than usual for the platform thanks to a spike in sales from a price drop early in the month and the availability of Ace Combat."

Can this continue? The Wii seems to be slowing down in Japan, not even Mario Galaxy has increased sale. Have the Japanese tired of the Wii? Is there a shortage of Wiis? Will the PS3 continue selling like this? Only time can tell.

2. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    Are Wii lost or something?

Funny. I remember reading a lot of Fanboyism when the 360 surpassed the PS3 sales in Japan a month ago.

3. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    I know so many people who say PSP is better (most of which have not played either of them) yet DS is taking sales by a major distance. What I am surprised with is that the PS3 is selling alot of 40GB's. Wasn't the 40GB version unable to play PS2 games or am I thinking of a different model?

4. mkoo

Member mkoo GBAtemp Fan

Turkey
    I guess everyone at Japan already bought one [​IMG]

5. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    LOLZORZ @ IGN.

They're just stocking up for Xmas Frenzy [​IMG] So no Wii to buy, instead there are PS3 on shelves everywhere [​IMG]

6. L0cky

Newcomer L0cky Member

Netherlands
    i think the ps2 comp. isnt a big deal , people who buy a ps3 prob. already own a ps2 , i cant care less about ps2 games running on my ps3 , i dont buy a ps3 to play ps2 games

7. Astral_

Member Astral_ GBAtemp Fan

France
    Well that was two weeks ago. Wii has taken back the lead from the PS3 ^^

8. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    Gotta say it with a little more style, like this.
    (But gotta to say it again for being from 2 weeks ago). [​IMG]

On topic: Seriously, do you have a source for that?

9. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    The 40 GB model in PAL territories is non-PS2, so the Japanese ones may be the same. AFAIK, they completely removed hardware PS2 support in all new PS3s anyway and replaced it with emulation software.

10. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Generally, 60GB or 80GB are the "best" PS3 models. Similar enough to not worry about.

Heck... Neither Xbox 360 nor Wii can officially run Final Fantasy IV, VI, or VII. Not to mention Phantasy Star IV and Chrono Trigger.

PS3 is therefore still the RPG champion this gen. Carrying it over from PS2 last gen.

11. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Every person in Japan already has a Wii.. now they have no reason to buy another one.. of course this will change when Nintendo release a Wii Special Pikachu Edition or something [​IMG]

12. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    I know a few people that sold there ps2 knowing they were getting a PS3 and I am sure it has happened to a majority of people and if they get the model with out ps2 play back it would suck. And it is not like sony is putting on the front of the box in big bold letters. "THIS CAN NOT PLAY PS2 GAMES".

13. nephdj

Member nephdj GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    yea but who still plays there rpg's once there beaten?
    people need new rpg's and 360 has them

14. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I was talking about the whole of November which you know ended the day I posted it. This is the first time the PS3 has overtaken anything I think since it was released in Japan. [​IMG]

15. Reduxed

Member Reduxed GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    o crap..

16. Dack

Member Dack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Only one thing wrong there....

The November they used for figures actually finishes on 25th (they use a 4,4,5 week month for sales) and apparently the PS3 outsold the Wii by about 325 units [​IMG] (if you use the media create figures instead).

As a slight aside - wiifit has just come out and first reports seem to indicate it's a bit of a hit.

17. c2ironfist

Member c2ironfist GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    its all good cuz the wii is back on track beating PS3 currently [​IMG]

18. ShadowXP

Member ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

United Kingdom
    It's about time. Personally I think the Wii is such a hyped up console that is simply not delivering what it should be... there's honestly only a handful of games worth buying, the thing is whored with gimmicks and pointless peripherals so much that it's lost all innovative. And until the companies/Nintendo start delivering some quality goods, it deserves to be left behind while the PS3 and 360 take the spotlight. While I've never even played a Wii/PS3 and I've only played a couple of 360 games, just from marketing/reading/hearing about the games on the other two consoles makes them sound pretty damn better than the Wii by a mile.

19. Relys

Member Relys Master of Computer Science

United States
    This was like one week right? Well, duh something newly released will sell better the first day.

The ps3 can go suck my cock.

I have every single next generation system except the ps3. Really, I wish it would just die. There's NOTHING for me in the ps3. Maybe different strokes for different folks, but I wish it would die for normal gaming sake. Not a single exclusive game I'm interested in for it.

It's hard to develop for, and it's over priced. The ps3 hardcore fanboys are the worst fanboys I've ever met (Except Sonic fanboys that are furry).

Wii60PCPSPDS 4 life!

What ever. I'm just not interested in the games, and am disappointed to see them ditching BC in the 40gb model.

20. jtroye32

Member jtroye32 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    it's obvious why. everyone in japan already owned a wii a year ago and they need something new to buy.