Hacking ps3 on unknown 3.55 cfw, want to upgrade hdd size

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never used idpset, but I'm pretty sure it can dump the erk, because before that, I was thinking the easiest way was through rebug toolbox. the erk is also needed for dex conversion, so that's why it's only there in rex. I was on ferrox for a brief time, and that option didn't exist.

wigner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you use idpset?? I DL'd the pkg and installed it on my 3.55cfw slim to try to get it's erk so I know how to use it if/when I get the old dead fatty up and running temporarily. I've been looking for hours and there is zero explanation of how to use it to extract the erk anywhere that I can find. I can't even find a single readme for it. When I run it there is the option to: "edit idps", "save idps in eid0", "save idps in eid0 & eid5", "load idps from eid0", "load idps from eid5", and "make cex & dex dumps". I dont know what ANY of these mean...

wigner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's V0.92, and I saw where 0.88 said it worked with almost any CFW. But I don't understand what any of the options are.

wigner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I just found "EID root key dumper V1.0" from 2014 and it actually had a 3.55fw version and actually told you where it would dump it(/dev_hdd0/tmp/). So I was able to do that and found a ~48 B file there...But I didn't see a version to work with 3.41( which is what the dead machine is on I need to extract it from). Do you think this will work if I get the 3.41 machine running? Or is 3.55 the lowest fw you can dump it from?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no idea. I'm surprised that idpset seemed to have that option missing. it's required for cex to dex even if you create a dex build on pc. otherwise, you'll get like five small files that can't be used for conversion. I think erk only became popular with 3.55+, because we were able to convert to dex, update, and play newer games. I remember playing the simpsons fighting game. we could downgrade with a downgrader, then convert back.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

afaik, the key revoker file in the core os was introduced in 3.6t0, so it's probably possible to resign or it might work normally.

looks like the revoke list was added in 3.56: https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/CoreOS#1.00_up_to_current

wigner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...I still have no idea what dex or cex or hen or any of that actually denotes or means. BUT, I have a few more dumb questions before I hopefully reanimate the dead3.41 machine long enough to extract it's key. Does my clone of my old dead fatty(my OFW slim now on 4.86) have the same erk as the machine it was "cloned" from with the data transfer utility? If so, is there any way to get it off that OFW machine(I'm assuming not since it can't run any pkg's)? If it has the same key and can't be extracted from an OFW machine, is it possible nowadays to JB the slim on OFW4.86 to get it if I never get the dead resurrected? Thanks again for all your help.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can jailbreak as long as the minimum firmware version is 3.56 or lower. 3.56 still had some old keys in it, so it's always been exploitable. before you needed a flasher, but now it can be done much more easily with bguerville toolbox. I have no experience with it though as I've always been on cfw. if you cloned a drive, which I'm assuming means you used an ethernet cable between two machines, then the answer is no. I don't know if there's any way to change the erk. I think habib of team rebug said it was possible, but it would force you to format. it was during a conversation about making all machines have the same erk. a forced format is something not many would want to do.

wigner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So all the crap I'm seeing about JB'ing your OFW4.86 machine is indeed CRAP...I thought maybe things really changed in the years I've been away from this stuff, but I guess not. Like this for example - https://psexploit.com/ps3-jailbreak/ - or this - https://www.smartgametech.com/ps3-jailbreak-4-86-ofw-to-cfw/ -
Yes, I must've used an ethernet cable for the data transfer back in the day when I "cloned" my original fatty. I didn't remember having to do that, but obviously I must've. But afterwards both machines were the same until I continued to update the ofw slim, but never used the fatty online again after I JB'd it. After the process, no files were removed from the original, it didn't wipe it out or anything. Both machines had my profile and account and I could use my saved games between them. This is why I assumed both machines would then have the same erk, but you're saying they don't, correct?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
saves use account id, not erk. the hard drive is encrypted with erk. as I mentioned, you can use bguerville toolbox to jailbreak 4.86 on phats and older slims. afaik, it even has safe guards in place in case you do something stupid like flashing the wrong system. I have no experience with it though, so I can't help there.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You might be able to revive your old fat, I saw a video on youtube saying that the capacitors were at fault and not the cpu. Just saying. Putting your ps3 in the oven might have revive them for few minutes but they are bad in the first place like in many laptop of this era. and i suggest you do like you ignored and install hfw and never ofw. There wil never be a new update anways we are almost 2 gen after.

wigner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
saves use account id, not erk. the hard drive is encrypted with erk. as I mentioned, you can use bguerville toolbox to jailbreak 4.86 on phats and older slims. afaik, it even has safe guards in place in case you do something stupid like flashing the wrong system. I have no experience with it though, so I can't help there.
...So it IS possible to JB a slim(CECH-2001A) on ofw4.86??? Sorry,, my brains fried, I've nothing but research all weekend...Are the links I provided above crap or true? I was thinking if I could JB my 4.86slim and downgrade to match the FW on the dead fatty, I might be able to do the "hdd hotswap during service mode without formatting" I mentioned previously[I'm thinking this ONLY because the sllim is a transfer of the fat]. I mean if that guy in the video was swapping between two drives[and it's legit] wouldn't it mean they both have the same erk? Sorry if a dumb question, I'm still learning.

You might be able to revive your old fat, I saw a video on youtube saying that the capacitors were at fault and not the cpu. Just saying. Putting your ps3 in the oven might have revive them for few minutes but they are bad in the first place like in many laptop of this era. and i suggest you do like you ignored and install hfw and never ofw. There wil never be a new update anyways we are almost 2 gen after.
Temporarily reviving the fatty to retrieve it's erk is #1 on my list to try, but I want to be CERTAIN I will be able to quickly install the pkg, and dump it before it dies again. But I can't find any confirmation anywhere it'll work on that 3.41 machine. I tested it on my 3.55 cfw one and it does work, but before I attempt the "resurrection" I'd like to know for sure in case it's my one and only shot to do so. Yes, I ignored your recommendation of hfw as I have no idea what it is yet, been too busy researching all the other crap I need to get up to date on. I just finally learned last nite what the heck cex, dex, and rex are!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, 4.86 and that model can have full cfw. phats store the entire flash on the nand chips while NOR consoles (later phats and slims) store 90% on the hdd. that's why you have to reinstall the firmware when you swap drives.

wigner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OH yeah, I just learned last nite about the crap nec/tokin caps. Sounds really promising, and easier than attempting leaded reball(which I thought was root cause all this time). But first things first, I want that erk! Then it's on the buying tons of tantalum caps to try a proper resurrection of my beloved dead fatty AND I have an old BC launch model thats been in parts in box since about a year after launch. It's still on some pre 3.41 fw! I saw PINKY on pg1 of the psx-place tut...

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that tutorial fro repairing the system might be an option, but I'd personally only do it if I was going to use the system. as it stands now, I'd use a method (maybe a heat gun) just to get the system to turn on. with rebug toolbox, the erk is actually dumped to the internal hdd, so the system does need to be on for about 3-5 minutes if you can manage it. I don't know where idpset dumps them. I only know it can dump the erk from a post on place where I mentioned that the erk can't be dumped with rebug toolbox unless on rex, since it's needed for dex conversion. I remember this for when I was on ferrox.

wigner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that tutorial fro repairing the system might be an option, but I'd personally only do it if I was going to use the system. as it stands now, I'd use a method (maybe a heat gun) just to get the system to turn on. with rebug toolbox, the erk is actually dumped to the internal hdd, so the system does need to be on for about 3-5 minutes if you can manage it. I don't know where idpset dumps them. I only know it can dump the erk from a post on place where I mentioned that the erk can't be dumped with rebug toolbox unless on rex, since it's needed for dex conversion. I remember this for when I was on ferrox.
...But I don't have rebug toolbox on the dead fatty, it still uses the dongle and hermes3.41cfw. I need a single eid root key dumper pkg to install and dump the erk from the 3.41 machine quickly. I don't want to attempt to revive, then update to a different cfw, THEN dump the erk. OR am I not getting what you're saying?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you might be able to move the home folder to your computer via ftp. I wasn't a part of the scene back then, so I've never been on 3.41 or know what its restrictions are. another option might be transferring saves to usb, but it doesn't work with copy protected saves. the home folder is where your accounts are, saves, trophies, licenses, etc.

wigner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you might be able to move the home folder to your computer via ftp. I wasn't a part of the scene back then, so I've never been on 3.41 or know what its restrictions are. another option might be transferring saves to usb, but it doesn't work with copy protected saves. the home folder is where your accounts are, saves, trophies, licenses, etc.
...Well I don't have a pc with ftp program to communicate with the 3.41 machine if I do get it running temporarily. The main reason I want that hdd/machine working again is all the "custom" games that I had installed to it's internal 500GB hdd. For example, I had done a TON of modding to GTAV*(strictly for offline use) with tons of custom characters and character swaps. Yes, I was running gtav on 3.41, along with a few other "newer" games. I HAD a pc dedicated to modding my ps3 and the games I was playing, but it suffered hdd failure long long ago and all this work only exists on the internal hdd of the dead fatty...Along with all my saved games that will only work with those "hacked" game iso's. I don't care about trophies and whatnot.

wigner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, now way off this thread's topic...All attempts for temporary revival of my dead fatty failed. Currently waiting on caps to get here to try a more permanent fix, BUT still plan to do a data transfer to my slim on 3.55cfw if I ever get it running again, SO...I've upgraded the hdd to 1Tb in the slim, got a file manager and a multiman that works with the 355cfw on it running(sure as hell wasn't easy finding this old old stuff online) and have been messing around with it while I wait my damn caps to ever come in the mail to fix[hopefully] the fatty. I don't want to go to any newer cfw on this as I still plan on transferring the old fatty to this machine. Just for kicks I have my blus31156GTAV running on it, and am TRYING to get a saved game from my OFW updated slim to work on my CFW3.55 slim(i wanna mess around modding it for offline again). But obviously the saved games won't transfer or work to the old3.55 slim as it has no psn account or user on it. I created a generic user, went thru the whole crappy intro to make a saved game, then tried many methods to resign the newer saves from OFW4.86 to work on the oldCFW3.55 machine. Nothing will work...From using/reading about [PS3] Save Resigner 1.4, finally realized it would never work because the userID I get from my generic user saved game is always all zeroes. SO luckily I I had made a backup of the 3.55cfw machine before upgrading the hdd even though it was an acquired machine and I didn't care about keeping anything on it, and intended it for the data transfer anyway. SO, I did the whole restore backup thing, and it has the user(not me) on it again, along with his saved games, and there were old messages in the inbox, so I knew at one time this was a psn created account. SO, got gtav running on it again, installed it again, did the whole crappy intro again, just to get a gtav save game with an actual accountID to try the resigning again. It still results in a save game that won't transfer, it starts, then says it's corrupted. #1:Is there ANY way to do what I'm trying to do??? #2: If answer in no, because of the fw differences, is there a newer safe CFW I can install on this machine(that I can actually find and D.L. with working links) that will allow me to easily downgrade back to 3.55 when the time comes?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu