PS3 on computer screen

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Lyuse, Mar 14, 2008.

Mar 14, 2008

PS3 on computer screen by Lyuse at 9:38 PM (1,533 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Lyuse
    OP

Lyuse Newbie

I don't have an HD TV right now so I was wondering if it's possible to hook my PS3 to my PC's monitor ?

I've got a 32 inch screen and a 19 inch one

2. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Take a trip to radioshack, and get some serious adapters.

3. Lyuse
    OP

Lyuse Newbie

We don't have a radioshack shop nearby I'm in Europe

4. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
  5. Lyuse
    OP

Lyuse Newbie

One is HDCP compatible but the other isn't and I want to play games on the one that isn't HDCP compatible will that XCM thing worn on a 19" screen its 1440x900

6. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Yeah, it'll only do 720p though, and theres a cheaper solution on DX.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10530

7. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I'm planning to do the same with my X360 (it's quite convenient that Microsoft sells VGA cables for the X360 [​IMG] ) on a 16:10 screen with a max resolution of 1440x900...

But how will the signal actually look on the 16:10 screen, since neither the Xbox360 nor the PS3 have support for any 16:10 resolution? (The closest would be 1280x768, which is 15:9, compared to 1280x800)

8. Omgwtfisthat

Member Omgwtfisthat GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    get a screen with 1920x1080 resolution and hdmi in. you'll be able to play games 1080p

9. wiki

Member wiki GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    If your monitor doesn't do aspect ratio scaling then the image will be slightly stretched vertically. If you think you can deal with that, then you should definitely get the vga cables. The image quality is superb.

@Lyuse - For the HDCP compatible monitor I believe you can simply get a HDMI to DVI converter. Of course your image will be stretched if you don't have aspect ratio scaling..etc etc

For the non HDCP compatible monitor, this appears to be the best solution atm: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=75139 It even does aspect ratio scaling even if you monitor doesn't support it.

Edit: Since your non HDCP monitor is 4:3 (19 inches) I'm not sure what results you'd get with component to vga. I believe the ps3 doesn't do 4:3 with component and above quality cables. The x360 supports 4:3 natively with its vga cable tho.

Ok, after a little research, it seems that there's a 4:3 setting, but you'll get overscan. What that means is that the image will be cut off on the sides by about 2-3cm each side. It's not much, but it may annoy you.