PS1/2 ps3 no longer reading discs

neveras

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been pretty lucky with consoles so far, and aside with a little brush with a certain red ring, no real problems at all.
Until today. I pop in cross edge (I managed to pick it up on the cheap while out buying presents) and after the first fight
my console freezes. Figure it's late, I'm tired. I just turn it off and go to sleep. Today I go to play the game. No disc in the
game menu. Figure maybe someone pulled it out, I check. it's in there, no scratches, no smudges. Clean new disc.

Pop it back in. Nothing. Try another ps3 game. Nothing. Blu-ray movie? NADA. Dvd movie. Null once again.
Make sure nothing is dusty, everything's clean and cool. Re-boot everything and try again... and nothing.
My ps3 no longer reads any type of disc period. Kind of suck since it's christmas and I really really can't afford
to buy another console.

I've checked up online and this type of problem has happened before and it's some 150$ Us to fix. (Who knows what
they'll charge here, and for shipping etc.) At this point I might as well just wait and pick myself up a slim
and hope my saves and everything transfer over fine.

No real reason for this post other than the need to vent a little as it's been a pretty crap day overall.

neveras

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@luke_c: More than likely what I'll do, although thanks to christmas and a million other things that will likely be sometime at the end of Feb.

@fryguy: I simply don't have the technical know-how to even attempt to do that.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
You could have a look on eBay at PS3 repair people- there are some on there that say that they can fix it- although they will void the warranty if you still have it. Check their feedback too before you send it off or anything.

Nikj14

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
This happened to mine, so i looked into it and i found that just replacing the laser doesnt work sometimes but swapping the drive out completely and switching the logic boards fixes it. So i just got one with the YLOD from a friend and swapped it out and its been going strong for a month so far. Also the part needs to match from drive to drive (KEM-400AAA is one and KES-400AAA is another and they arent interchangeable). Good luck.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Happened to my old 40GB PS3.. had to send it in to Sony for $150 even though the console it self stated it had been less than a year since manufactured.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1