PS3 needs to be “open like a Mac”, says Valve

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by luke_c, May 20, 2010.

May 20, 2010
  1. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Source.

[​IMG]

2. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Open like a Mac, closed like a GameCube? What the fuck?

3. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    "Open like a Mac"? LOLIRONY. [​IMG]

4. Spikey

Member Spikey Your Special Someone

United States
    Yet they bring their games to the overly closed 360. The PS3 is a far more open system than the 360 is, by huge leaps and bounds. So this logic is, how do you say, completely and utterly broken?

5. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I think what Gabe means is that they want open access to Sony's bank accounts

6. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Yes what the fuck indeed.
    Has anyone here ever tried to hack a mac?
    Has anyone here NOT had homebrew on their gamecube?
    This guy is waaaay off with his analogies.

7. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Nice irony there.

8. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Is it something to do with the forecasting of how popular the system is, will be etc? I dunno what he's talking about to be honest. Maybe its got to do with the level of access they can gain to the system?

9. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    I think this is Valve's way of saying they want to have their games on the PS3 really bad... They just compared it to a Gamecube (lolwut?) because, well...I actually don't know why... [​IMG] It should be the other way around, like Bortz said.

10. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    Talking about homebrew here is pointless because Valve is not a homebrew developer and has access to development tools regardless of the platform. Frankly I think no one here can really comment towards what they've said and at the same time know precisely what they are talking about. Although that is a fault of theirs as without explanation it still is a very wtf statement (much like everyone elses in here).

11. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    I dont know what the fuck this means.
    Anyway.... HAIL NINTENDO!!!

12. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    mac is pretty open in a way. the developer tools are already in every mac for free and the all the documentation is also available for free.

13. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Well, you can't argue that a Mac is more open than a PS3. You can use pretty much any device on a Mac and you can run any software on it that's written for it. If I want to make a Mac game, I can.

With consoles, this is not the case. Sony is the one that decides what games are on the PS3. Still, the PS3 is much more open than the Xbox 360, for which Valve does develop, and it's definitely more open than a GameCube. You can plug in any USB controller and it will work, you can use microphones and webcams that are not made by Sony and they'll still work in games, you can plug in a keyboard and a mouse and you can use it to browse the web and even control games that support it (UT3)...

I really hope Valve will develop for the PS3 again. Yes, The Orange Box could (and should) have been better. But that's 3 years ago now. We want new Portal and Half-Life games, and with a market as huge as it is (larger than the Mac I'd think) there's no reason for Valve not to invest in the PS3. Even better, because they use only one engine (the Source Engine) they could fully optimize it so all games would run on it. They could then even release an update for The Orange Box.

14. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    Weird. This article seems to make the PS3 sound very open-source. And after all, just up to a little while ago, PS3 users had the "Other OS" option, didn't they?

I'm sort of inexperienced with bot the X360 and the PS3, but from what I've read from this article as well as others, the PS3 is making much more progress than anyone else on the "open" issue here.

However, Microsoft seems to be making babysteps also, while Nintendo still sees the words "homebrew" and "pirating" as interchangeable terms. [​IMG]

15. iNFiNiTY

Member iNFiNiTY GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    In what way does it even need to be open. How does it being open even affect them considering they are a major game developer, and why is it any different from 360? Gabe Newell just talking a load of shit again.

16. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Not really, Mac is as closed as Microsoft if you ask me.

They need to be more open like Linux. [​IMG]

17. Flame

Member Flame Me > You

this is bull. Valve just wants to make money, Valve is just saying we want a piece of the pie, if tomorrow apple really want to be part of the gaming world, Valve will really understand what closed meant.

18. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Assuming you mean Windows by Microsoft, that's pretty open too. No, you can't see its source code, but at least you can run any program on it. I think when Valve is talking about "open", this is what they mean.

19. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Exactly. At first I had no idea what he was talking about. "closed like a gamecube?" It sounds like he doesn't like the disc's cover.

He is saying that consoles now-a-days require licensing (thanks to Ninty back in the 80s - it's actually a good thing), and more so with the PS3 (and with how we thought of the GC a few years ago), it is very difficult to run unlicensed code.

I can promise you that no one at Valve is going to say that video games need to start being open source. That's just silly.