PS3 Modchips and Games

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by 346L3, Nov 12, 2007.

Nov 12, 2007

PS3 Modchips and Games by 346L3 at 6:03 AM (1,000 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. 346L3
    OP

Newcomer 346L3 Member

United States
    I know there are mod chips for the gamecube,xbox,ps2,wii.
    Im not sure about the 360 or the ps3 though. Since the 360 uses dvd like the ps2 and xbox downloading games shouldnt be that different or more difficult.
    But how about the ps3? are there modchips for the ps3? and if there are, how the heck do you download them and put them onto bluray discs?
    Ive read that bluray discs can hold 25gb to 50gb of data. Now thats a lot to download.

2. QuantumFluxx

Member QuantumFluxx GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Okay let me clear some things up for you.

For the Xbox 360, there are two methods to play backup games, theres modchips which arent much developed and require soldering of course, and then theres flashing the DVD drive firmware with iXtreme. This is the method almost everyone uses as its the simplest. I don't have experience installing modchips but I was able to flash my xbox 360 with little trouble, all you really need to know how to do is plug in SATA cables. The biggest hassle you will face with that is getting the case of the 360 apart so you can take it apart to gain access.

For the PS3, there isn't to my knowledge any way to play backup games on for the moment. Whether it will be a modchip solution or a software loader solution like with the PSP, only time will tell. Yes the bluray games can be that large but I usually see them around 10-15gb. Some are even smaller like that warhawk game, believe that clocked in at only 2gb, and CoD4 is about 8gb I think I saw. Personally I'd hope when they make a solution that your able to load the game images off the hard drive because otherwise you're going to need a bluray burner and writable disc, both of which are emerging technologies and are rediculously expensive. I live in canada and I see the blank media go for 25-35 dollars for a single blank BD-R. So theres some time before that solution is viable for most people.

3. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Yeah but then you would still need to buy a big 3.5'' drive that will stick out since the PS3 uses 2.5'' drives and those atm only hold a maximum of 250gb so it won't fit many games.

4. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    Install linux? AFAIK only the popular games for PS3 got dumped (or from what I've seen). This makes me anticipate the dump for Killzone 2. 50GB at Blu-ray's max o.O

5. MrKuenning

Member MrKuenning GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Why are there PS3 backups for download, if you cant play them at all?

6. mrgone

Member mrgone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    somebody needs to try to get 'em working, of course

7. squirt1000

Banned squirt1000 Would rather have a cup of Tea!

United Kingdom
    Most are dumped for people like me to collect, then when the day arrives that they are playable im good to go. Im eagerly awaiting a BDr drive price drop. When a pioneer writer gets to below the £200 price ill get one as the blank media is getting cheaper by the day now [​IMG]

8. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    you can't play backups yet

there have them online for when you can and for collectors