Hacking PS3 Jailbreak scene is confirmed dead for future

UnitGGChamp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taken from another post and before I paste I just want to say with Jailbreak you can get a large amount of games..but 75% of them suck and all the new hot games are releasing with the update..

It seems like those expecting a custom firmware to hack the PS3 can give up now as Sony has pretty much nullified the PSJailbreak exploit. Even though people like to call it a PS3 hack it was in essence a glitch.

I call it a glitch because “hackers” didn’t circumvent the core PS3 security measures which Geohot was working on before he gave up. These alleged hackers pretty much took a jig key, probably from someone that works in technical support for Sony in China, and used it to create the PSJailbreak.

Tech support centers use this special jig key to turn any PS3 sent in for repair to enter what’s called a debug mode. Once in debug mode the PS3 can playback unsigned code. As you can see all of hooks have been put in place by Sony for unsigned code to be played on the PS3 deliberately for troubleshooting.

The only thing that is even close to a hack is the fact that the PSJailbreak’s version of the jig key is deployed via a heap overflow using the USB ports. This isn’t all that impressive as overloading the system with a USB (switch on/off) is an old trick. It just happens that these hackers had a legitimate jig key to inject as the payload.

Over the course of two months Sony quietly combated the exploit in two ways – from a legal and technical standpoint. Sony was able to get the PSJailbreak banned in pretty much most of the major countries preventing sales of the exploit in mass quantities.

As reported by Digital Foundry, Sony released firmware 3.42 which pretty much nullified the ability to run unsigned code on the PS3, including the PSJailbreak. In firmware 3.50, Sony introduced a USB “white list” which pretty much blocked out any non-storage based USB devices, including the modified PSJailbreak USB drive.

Also, new games such as Medal of Honor are using a new encryption that can only be decrypted with a new key unknown to the public. Basically, even the PS3 doesn’t have the key to unlock the game unless you have firmware 3.50.

In order to really hack the PS3 like the PSP, hackers must get through the Hypervisor, which is the lowest level of security on the hardware. Believe it or not the Hypervisor security layer runs on the PPE (core processor) and uses one the reserved SPE (SPU). This SPE is isolated in a way so that even the main core PPE can’t even access it.

The single SPE uses the hardware root key to decrypt the encryption code while being tied to a random ID generator. This is probably one of the most complex security systems ever invented utilizing one of the Cell SPUs to handle decryption in isolation mode.

Sony has nullified the PS3 exploit rather efficiently and swiftly without making a major scene. It almost seems like Sony had a contingency handbook for this exact scenario. I suppose, the engineers at Sony figured this many happen eventually as the human element is always an unknown factor.

Edit from original comment

UPDATE:Hermes left the scene

Cloak519

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Kind of unfortunate, I guess. Let's hope it's not this way with the 3DS.
I was surprised that something like this was ever found in all honesty. I thought the PS3 was bulletproof.

Gobnoblin

Trophies
XP
Country
I tend to believe this is far from over aswell..... with the first breakthrough in ages it has fired up everyones motivation again and soo much has already come about with the little we have learnt is possible so far... it seems inevitable that with this level reached it is only a matter of time before the next level happens....

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
UnitGGChamp said:
It seems like those expecting a custom firmware to hack the PS3 can give up now as Sony has pretty much nullified the PSJailbreak exploit.What does that have to do with anything? We have control over level 2 (the GameOS), and that lets us do anything a game could do (thus homebrew emulators being written). We can load a custom GameOS if needed. There's nothing in our way other than actually writing it (which there's not much need to other than making the jailbreak persist across reboots).

UnitGGChamp said:
It just happens that these hackers had a legitimate jig key to inject as the payload.No, this does NOT use a jig key, in fact jig authentication FAILS in the exploit.
http://ps3wiki.lan.st/index.php?title=PSJa...rse_Engineering

QUOTE(UnitGGChamp @ Oct 15 2010, 07:26 PM)
In firmware 3.50, Sony introduced a USB “white list” which pretty much blocked out any non-storage based USB devices, including the modified PSJailbreak USB drive.
Any reputable source on it being whitelist-based (instead of blacklist-based)?

That article's wrong.

deathking

Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
Sony was able to get the PSJailbreak banned in pretty much most of the major countries preventing sales of the exploit in mass quantities.

no they havent
these jailbreak devices are sold there are tons and tons of varients now flooding the market and even if they did the exploit runs off dingoos and calculators
sony lost on that ground

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony can get the software banned, but not the actaul devices. Many of the devices are legitly used for other projects. The only thing Sony has done, is make this hack non-main stream. Which is good. The developers of software still feel secure, and We get good games!

Let the research continue!

UnitGGChamp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schizoanalysis said:
Lies.

Sony PR.

QUOTE said:
I feel kind of bad for the early adopters of this. Actually, no I don't : P

Yeah, you know, don't. And if you indescriminately believe the Sony company line, I feel sorry for you.

QUOTEYeah, I couldn't understand half of this article either.

This doesn't surprise me. Seeing as how you are stupid enought to believe it is actually true.

Sony PR? Are you mental or just dumb? I only wrote the first TOP sentence not the bottom..TAKEN FROM ANOTHER POST...Sony PR? Want to see my youtube videos promoting the features of jailbreak genius??

oh and this comment:

This doesn't surprise me. Seeing as how you are stupid enought to believe it is actually true.

Learn how to spell before you judge the wrong poster you fool..dumbass

oh and schizo,this is what I wrote..the rest was another poster or in your words Sony PR(like they give 2 dumps about this topic)

Taken from another post and before I paste I just want to say with Jailbreak you can get a large amount of games..but 75% of them suck and all the new hot games are releasing with the update..

THAT IS WHAT I WROTE I HOPE YOU CAN READ THIS..

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
UnitGGChamp said:
Schizoanalysis said:
Lies.

Sony PR.

QUOTE said:
I feel kind of bad for the early adopters of this. Actually, no I don't : P

Yeah, you know, don't. And if you indescriminately believe the Sony company line, I feel sorry for you.

Sony PR? Are you mental or just dumb? I only wrote the first sentence not the bottom..TAKEN FROM ANOTHER POST...Sony PR? Want to see my youtube videos promoting the features of jailbreak genius??

WHO wrote the post you shamelessly copied? hm? That is my point. The person who wrote this was most likely paid by Sony, or has an interest in pretending that the jailbreak is dead.

Fool.

You believe everything you read without thinking. The article has major factual flaws. Get over it.

UnitGGChamp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh and I love how you noticed you were wrong and try to focus on another topic to make you seem right..Bravo..

FYI just trying to inform people as many members here do not know or care for these tedious topics.

And so what I have 50 posts,does that make you smarter or better informed?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i think it is far from over, hackers have got so far with the jailbreak now the last time i read ps3 hax news they were trying to get the keys for the new security for 3.50 so they can dump the games, it is only a matter of time.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
UnitGGChamp said:
oh and I love how you noticed you were wrong and try to focus on another topic to make you seem right..Bravo..

FYI just trying to inform people as many members here do not know or care for these tedious topics.

The article is wrong. Get over it!

UnitGGChamp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schizoanalysis said:
UnitGGChamp said:

Learn how to argue Mr. Copy and Paste.

The article is wrong. Get over it!

dude why you trolling? have a bad day? I copied and pasted so what? Article is not wrong you bulging idiot,it's true..As far as it's source it does not matter..jeez you really are trying to seem right and you clearly are not..

if the article is wrong as you claim,enlighten us all on how jailbreak was stopped for future games..Technical wise not "uh they used a new firmware" more like the article I posted..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte