Hacking ps3 help

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking about buying a ps3, but I want to know if I can somehow play free games ( like game ISOS downloaded from the internet) and what I would need in order to do that. That's really the only thing that I would do in a ps3 jailbreak. The games that I like( if it matters) are: trinity universe, atelier rorona, and eternal sonata.
I also own a wii, and I burn wii isos onto a blank dvd-r and play them with neogamma etc. Does it work the same way with the ps3? I also have an iphone which I heard can be used to jailbreak.

Any information you guys can give will be appreciated!

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you buy a PS3 new, chances are you will not be able to jailbreak/softmod. It must be on 3.55 or lower to work.

If you do have a 3.55 or lower PS3, you can install CFW (Custom Firmware) on it to enable homebrew. After that you need a backup manager (Gaia, Rogero or MultiMAN - MultiMAN is the favourite) to be able to play games that are not in the BD drive. Games will have to either be on the internal HDD, or on an external USB mass storage device. NTFS support is new and not fully fleshed out yet, so it's easier to use FAT32 USB devices, however some games have files bigger than 4GB so they will not work on FAT32 drives (you'll need to copy them to internal).

You cannot burn PS3 games onto BD and get it to work. It has to be in file format.

You only need a "jailbreak device" (like a special ROM on the iPhone) to jailbreak 3.41. 3.55 CFW does not need any jailbreak device as it uses the official keys to sign the update and run in place of 3.55 OFW.

EDIT: Before the author of the thread posts "use my guide", here's a softmod guide.

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for the information!

I have been looking for a 60GB PS3 for it's backwards compatibility, but they are very expensive, so I might have to resort to an 80GB instead. Which, I heard, plays 80% of ps2 games...is this correct? I want to make sure if I can play the .hack//SIGN games or not.

AND will I be able to softmod (using the stickie on the forum) and play isos on any PS3? Or do I have to have a specific PS3 with a specific motherboard like the PSP?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I can't comment on PS2 support because I don't know about it - I only have a PS3 Slim. Instead I'd rather keep PS2 games on a PS2 (or emulated on PC).

With PSP, motherboards after a specific version stopped allowing the Pandora battery to be used. There's no such function on the PS3 because the softmod method uses a modified official firmware update (3.55 typically). Therefore, the softmod method will work on any PS3 so long as it does not come with 3.56 or above.

Also the PS3 does not use ISOs, but instead unpacked games in their original folder structure. To give an example, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion will be located at "USB:\GAMES\BLES00163-[Oblivion]\...". The BLES part can be named anything you want, but I stuck with the naming format MultiMAN uses when it backs up PS3 games onto the USB HDD.

Technically that means PS3 games can be modified just by changing some of the files. Changing the EBOOT file was common for a while in order to get games working on 3.41, but it's not necessary now with 3.55 and only a couple games need 3.56 or above. I don't suggest modding games unless you have to though.

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again for the info
wink.gif

I have found an 80GB ps3 at an awesome price, but I don't know the what the firmware is, and I don't know if I can find out..

I want to take advantage of this price, but I don't want to get stuck with a ps3 I wouldn't be able to install CFW on.

If I do get this ps3, and the firmware is above 3.55, will there be something I could do? Like downgrade??

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 500GB external hard drive with all my pc stuff backed up on it. The hard drive is FAT32 and I was wondering if I could put my PS3 games and what I need to softmod my ps3 onto my external hard drive. Will my files from my pc interfere with the PS3 softmod and playing games?? I do also have a 4gb usb flash drive, but 4GB is too small for some of the games I want to play.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Installing a CFW on the PS3 only involves 2 folders and 1 file. Once it's done, then you're free to use your FAT32 drive however you wish. Games can go in either a GAMES or GAMEZ folder, and any homebrew you wish to install (e.g. MultiMAN backup manager) just needs the .pkg file placed in the root of the drive. You go to "Install Package", find the package you want to install, and that's it. You can take the .pkg file off your drive again if you want, or just put it in a folder for safe keeping.

It's also possible to use NTFS drives, but it's messy so I'm sticking to my FAT32 1TB external drive. Any games that can't be played due to large/split files, I just copy to the internal drive to play.

EDIT: Just realized, most of that's already been said. Anyway, your PC files will NOT be affected by the PS3, ever. Question answered.

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just finished installing 3.55-kmeaw on my ps3, and then I installed multiman and lv2 v6. I also put a game (starting with BLUSxxxx) into the PS3>GAMES folder on my external hard drive. Now, how can I install and play the game? I was advised to run lv2 v6 before I started multiman and before playing a game.
On the lv2 6 I got a "welcome from Russia" message and then something else and then press x to exit. Then I opened multiman and I cannot figure out how to find my game. Also, I get an error 80028F14 in my app_home/PS3_GAME/ folder. please help!
closedeyes.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
You've got it wrong.

myself said:
"USB:\GAMES\BLES00163-[Oblivion]\..."
On the root of the USB drive, make a GAMES or GAMEZ folder, and put the game folder in there. Do not put it in "USB:\PS3\GAMES\..." or it won't find it.

Once you've set the folder directory properly, MultiMAN should detect the game when you load it up. You then press either O to copy it to the internal drive, or X to play it. It will ask you if you want to direct-boot it or return to the XMB to boot it. I always do the latter, since several games don't work when direct-booting it.

EDIT: BTW, I never use the lv2 v9 I installed. MultiMAN just works anyway. You only need to run the lv2 patcher IF you have difficulties running your games. Also, having a PS3 game already inside the drive does help improve compatibility.

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much. That worked! When I found the game in multiman, I pressed x to play, but it looked like it downloaded the game to my internal HD anyway.(without pressing O). When I put in another game, should I press o this time? And when I did press x to play my first game, it took me back to the xmb, and I had to go to app/PS3_GAMES or something like that to play. When I have two games in my HD, will I have the option to select what game to play when I click on app/PS3_GAMES, or is that selection already made when I click on my game in multiman?

(sorry, hopefully this is my last question,
rolleyes.gif
)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The latter. When you select a game to play in MultiMAN, it basically tricks the PS3 into thinking that game is already inside the BluRay drive. e.g. MultiMAN makes the PS3 think that my copy of LotR Conquests is actually Star Ocean or Disgaea 3 or whatever other game I select in MultiMAN. In your case, since you haven't got a disc inside it, it seems using PS3_GAMES works for you.

Some games will copy its files onto your PS3 without asking you. If you have the game installed on the internal HDD, you'll end up with 2 copies of the same game. "Dems de breaks".

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I added another game (eternal sonata), and it showed up in multiman like my previous game did( atelier rorona),but eternal sonata did not play like rorona did. Eternal sonata has BLES in the filename, and atelier rorona has BLUS, does this make any difference in the playability? Or for eternal sonata, do I need to have disc in the drive? Maybe it is just a bad file?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Guess which one is the european rip and which one is the american rip. European games sometimes have special localisations compared to american games.

And some games do need a disc in the drive, so that's why I always keep LotR Conquests in there. Put a game in, run MultiMAN as usual, and when you get back to the XMB run the game with the disc icon instead of using PS3_GAME (hint: it will have the name of the game you loaded from MultiMAN on it).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Eternal Sonata is a special case (called a "black screen game").
It works only on an external HDD (hopefully it has no file bigger than 4GB), and you need to launch it using Select+X to tell Multiman to use a special BD emulation mode.
The games you launch in "black screen game" compatible mode are memorized in the config file so you don't need to hit select+X next time.

Edit : Starting from MultiMan v01.16.13, hitting Select+X again on a memorized game removes this memorized setting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.