PS3 Hackers able to sign code (and more)!

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
epicfails.jpg

Currently one of the biggest hacking conventions, Chaos Communication Congress (27C3), is being held in Berlin and there have been some startling advancements announced by a team of PS3 Hackers.

QUOTE said:
The first few minutes of the conference were spent explaining the state of security on other consoles (Wii, 360, etc). Following this, the group went on to explain the current state of affairs on the PS3. First, explaining Geohot's memory line glitching exploit from earlier this year. The team then went on to explain the current PS3 security bypasses, such as jailbreaking and service mode/downgrading.

Approximately a half hour in, the team revealed their new PS3 secrets, the moment we all were waiting for. One of the major highlights here was, dongle-less jailbreaking by overflowing the bootup NOR flash, giving complete control over the system. The other major feat, was calculating the public private keys (due to botched security), giving users the ability to sign their own SELFs Following this, the team declared Sony's security to be EPIC FAIL!

icon11.gif
Source
icon11.gif
Hackers' Website

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In other words, homebrew can now be run directly on OFW with no real "exploit" so to speak, am I right? And CFW could quite possibly be possible I think too. Oh, and apparently fail0verflow's aim is to create "AsbestOS.pup" i.e. an unofficial update that'll (re)add Linux

Squirps

Official Squirps of GBATemp.net™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
cool stuff but we still have to be cautious about going online with hacked ps3s though.
I agree, I'm still not going to hack my PS3 until there is a way for it to NOT be traceable online... :/
Either way, I'm ALWAYS going to put my online experience with the PS3 first, ahead of homebrew...I won't be able to live without it. o3o

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mocalacace said:
Antoligy said:
Nicely done, now we'll see a flood of crap just like with the Wii.

Not so much a flood of crap, more like 30 different ISO loaders and 50 different emulators and only 3 good homebrew games.

Well there's already a shit ton of emulator and a couple good homebrew games. And we already have a lot of ISO loaders aswell. So we just need a little more of what we already have
tongue.gif

This exploit is also going to be better for making it so you don't need to use a dongle everytime, and so CFW can be installed, not to have ISO loaders and such.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr