xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
QUOTE said:
Yeah, we here at Engadget are hardened cynics -- our cold, black hearts have closed off to all but the most extraordinary tech-related stories, and we don't talk about the triumph of the human spirit a lot, but PlayStation 3 forum user KitsuneYume has us stepping outside our usual box today. With the help of an engineer, he made an "adaptive controller" that allows him to game with the pros despite serious disabilities. 20 out of 25 functions are accounted for by the system, and he uses his fingers, toes, and even his tongue to play -- your regular, everyday controller mod it ain't. The creator said he uploaded the pictures to make sure folks who might need it are aware the technology exists, as he contacted Sony a while back and they weren't able to tell him where to look. We hope this helps gets the word out, because we think everyone should have and chance to lie, cheat, and steal their way through Fallout 3.

Source: Engadget

Quite honestly I find this amazing. The power of the human will is so amazing it can overcome physical disablities to do what it wants.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@silent sniper: Apparently it is, to this guy. That's a whole lot of trouble to go through just to make a custom control system.

Wish we had some background on the guy. I'm guessing he was a gamer who was in an accident, and wasn't satisfied with the thought of the remainder of his life without his games.

Very admirable.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
wtf.gif
this is one serious dude

Licardo7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I respect him in the strangest ways possible, one question. If he has disabilities, then how did he make it? Did he tell someone what to do or did some one did it for him?(if this is the truth, that other guy should get the credit)

Xta Large

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Caught that a few hours ago on the PS boards, very admirable and inspiring. What wasn't were some of the comments in that thread. I thought the Xbox forums were where all of the immature dipsticks went, oh well. At least the mods got to the thread before it got outta hand.

silent sniper said:
Interesting. But my only question, is it REALLY worth it just to play video games?

To him it was, apparently. If you had a disability, would you be compelled to find an alternative way to keep your hobby? I like to think most of us would.

Xta Large

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Licardo7 said:
I respect him in the strangest ways possible, one question. If he has disabilities, then how did he make it? Did he tell someone what to do or did some one did it for him?(if this is the truth, that other guy should get the credit)

"Here is my adaptive ps3 controller that I use to play. Please leave questions and feedback!Design by me, Built by http://www.gimpgear.us/videogaming.htm http://www.broadenedhorizons.com/videogaming.html mark Felling who deserves 75% credit for building. please let other disabled know about us."

That was in the first post in his thread.

Giangsta

Trophies
XP
Country
that's true dedication right there...

crazy man still loves his games no matter what...you gotta respect that.
bow.gif

- not crazy as in his disability but crazy as in...awesome!

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what kind of condition he has, does he have other people post on forums for him or what?
I assume he cannot stand as the video of the machine is not taken by him and he's in the same exact positioning as in the pictures.
Although he said he wants to play football games with his friends who like football, could be awkward, but it still seems like he's bed-ridden.
This whole thing is something I cannot grasp, though.

Licardo7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xtalarge said:
Licardo7 said:

"Here is my adaptive ps3 controller that I use to play. Please leave questions and feedback!Design by me, Built by http://www.gimpgear.us/videogaming.htm http://www.broadenedhorizons.com/videogaming.html mark Felling who deserves 75% credit for building. please let other disabled know about us."

That was in the first post in his thread.

Then I wasn't reading
wacko.gif

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gore said:
This whole thing is something I cannot grasp, though.

You may not be able to, but since I was never supposed to be able to walk, I can grasp it quite well.

Both he, and his companion in modification, have my utmost respect.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
That might be the real situation

Or, it might be under that desk there (see, his head is bocked by that desk with wires on it)

I wonder what button he assigned for his feet though?

sdnoob

Trophies
Website
sdnoob.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Canada
Edgedancer said:
zidane_genome said:
For those having trouble seeing what's in the pic...

ps3customadaptivecontroxn2.jpg
Ahh now I see.

haha, it does look like he's looking at the ceiling.
this guy is awesome, shows what people with disabilities can really do. guess we cant really say disabilities any more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol