PS3 emulator RPCS3 now available on Mac

Popular PS3 emulator RPCS3 has released a build for macOS. In a new trailer, the RPCS3 team shows off several popular PS3 titles running on various Macs, with some tips for achieving optimal performance thrown in. Some of the performances are impressive as well, such as the M1 Max running Persona 5 1440p while maintaining 50-60 frames per second.

While RPCS3 had been available for Mac prior to 2016, it had to be abandoned due to Apple refusing to support OpenGL. Now, however, it appears to be running again, although not as well as its Windows or Linux counterparts. The team acknowledges that macOS will run slower, and that there will also be several Mac-specific issues that need to be worked out. The compatibility list can also not necessarily be applied to the macOS build, but games that are playable on Windows can safely be assumed to run reasonably well on Mac. Finally, some of the known issues singled out by the team include the lack of support for Nvidia GPUs and the fact that only PlayStation controllers work right now.

If you'd like to know more about the macOS build of RPCS3, you can get the full details in the video above.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apple is for the lesser intelligent people imo.
Windows is the middle ground.
Linux is for the intelligent and control oriented.

Apple doesn't make that many good products they just know how to cater to the people who like trendy stuff and want to be in a cult like group. one of my first computers as a kid was a macintosh performa 6300 and all ive seen from apple over the years is they go backwards to appease people who are too stupid to understand what they are giving up or allowing apple to control. apple is not our masters.
that just sounds like you have a God complex

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fact of the matter is, Apple makes excellent products that cater very well to specific work loads, namely content creation.
Not really. You can argue Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro are great editing software, but that has nothing to do with Apple's hardware. A lot of open source software is better than what ships with Mac products (unless you're getting the paid stuff pre-installed). But since most music production is done with Avid Pro Tools, and most video editing is done in either Adobe software or other Windows compatible stuff, there's really no basis for saying Mac's are great/better for compatibility.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really. You can argue Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro are great editing software, but that has nothing to do with Apple's hardware. A lot of open source software is better than what ships with Mac products (unless you're getting the paid stuff pre-installed). But since most music production is done with Avid Pro Tools, and most video editing is done in either Adobe software or other Windows compatible stuff, there's really no basis for saying Mac's are great/better for compatibility.
I mean you can say that, but there's a reason why creative types, both independent creators and entire arts studios, gravitate towards apple products. Streamlined work flows, integrated hardware and software, incredible displays, etc

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are M1 somehow related to M.2 SSD?
nah. M1 is Apple's own in-house created CPUs. Based on ARM architecture I think.

Apple used intel CPUs for a while there, but intel started lagging behind as far as performance goes. Apple decided to start designing and manufacturing their own CPUs. The M1 is the first of their own CPUs. programs made for intel based Macs are not compatible with the new M1 Macs, so a lot of programs are getting updated and whatnot, and support for intel Macs will quickly go away.

I'm sure they'll come out with an M2, or a different name. at some point. and i say CPUs, but handles GPU duties as well. This also allows them to better unify OSX across all their devices (ipads, iphones, macs, laptops, etc) if they're the ones making all their own chips. I'm not sure their plans for their phones, though.

I mean you can say that, but there's a reason why creative types, both independent creators and entire arts studios, gravitate towards apple products. Streamlined work flows, integrated hardware and software, incredible displays, etc
my art friends give 3 reasons for this:
1- industry uses it. industry doesn't change, so much as it updates what already exist. so want to be in the industry? learn how to use their tools. there's a reason why apple gives deals for companies buying loads at a time.

2- don't have to worry about it. artist friends said "i don't know anything about computers. i just need to do my work and not worry about the rest". being a highly walled-in ecosystem, apple presents itself as the choice for when you just want to do task x and not worry about customizing any hardware or software. even if better options exist, it's the "i don't have to think about it" option

3- once you buy into the ecosystem, you're kinda...there. iphone, ipad, macs, laptops, they work together. ipads are nice for drawing, for instance. so when you need a laptop or a desktop? why not a mac.

at least, that's what my artist friends say. probably other reasons too.

Last edited by osaka35,

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess I can try running this emu on my Hackintosh, version 10.13.6. I know it's outdated only b/c my GPU is no longer supported by anti-consumer Apple 😅😆😂.

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch emulators like Yuzu and Ryujinx should be ported to the M1 Macs. The M1 is an ARM chip similar to the Tegra X1 in Switch, it will run better than Intel chips.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1- industry uses it. industry doesn't change, so much as it updates what already exist. so want to be in the industry? learn how to use their tools. there's a reason why apple gives deals for companies buying loads at a time.
I'd say it's exactly this. Not necessarily because the industry uses it, but because Apple gives really good deals to colleges and businesses that buy a lot of equipment. This leads to a lot of people being trained on Macs, and even though you can do the same stuff on Windows, people are used to Macs because of this.

Reactions: osaka35

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nah. M1 is Apple's own in-house created CPUs. Based on ARM architecture I think.

Apple used intel CPUs for a while there, but intel started lagging behind as far as performance goes. Apple decided to start designing and manufacturing their own CPUs. The M1 is the first of their own CPUs. programs made for intel based Macs are not compatible with the new M1 Macs, so a lot of programs are getting updated and whatnot, and support for intel Macs will quickly go away.
M1 Macs have Rosetta 2 which translates on the fly most Intel code. Yes there is a performance penalty but it's quite impressive to run Intel code on an ARM machine.

Also the fact that an M1 Mac can run Windows ARM, IN EMULATION, with performance that beats Microsoft's top of the line Surface Pro shows that Microsoft is doing it wrong.

I've use Windows and Mac for over 20 years and I still, for the most part, prefer the macOS experience over Windows.

The more platforms an app works on the better. Everyone has the right to choose what platform they want to use. I don't put down people that use Windows or *nix.

PSEmuPL

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
psemu.pl
XP
Country
Poland
Personally, I do not like Apple marketing and Apple showoff users.

For example ... Recently I was interviewed for the SEM automation position. When I saw the latest iPhone next to a fresh macBook, I knew something might be wrong. I quickly asked manager about the SEO/SEM strategy and scope of activities performed within it. I heard a few evasive sentences (that the absent colleague decides, etc.) and the question... "Do you mind ordering sandwiches for the training courses?". I thanked politely for honesty and left. True story.

As for RPCS3, Three supported platforms are better than two :]
Regards.

Reactions: Guacaholey

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When fans put more effort into it than the companies who own it, it's pretty sad that fans have to do the job Sony/Nintendo/etc should.

Sony could have let us play PS2 games on PS3 and PS4 legally, by inserting the disc as a license verify, but nope, they just don't care... Until now thanks to Microsoft's Xbox GamePass (and even then it still might suck).

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When fans put more effort into it than the companies who own it, it's pretty sad that fans have to do the job Sony/Nintendo/etc should.

Sony could have let us play PS2 games on PS3 and PS4 legally, by inserting the disc as a license verify, but nope, they just don't care... Until now thanks to Microsoft's Xbox GamePass (and even then it still might suck).
You do realize that many Fat PS3's do play (most) PS2 games natively on them as they have the Emotion Engine chip in them. Sony removed it as a cost saving measure since Microsoft was creaming them in the sales department as the 360 was much cheaper. Also, just like there are games that Microsoft wan't allowed to have the Xbox One / Xbox Series play as the companies that owned them wouldn't give them the license to, Sony likely had the same issues with the emulated PS2 games on PS3 through PSN.

enigma85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Apple doesn't make that many good products they just know how to cater to the people who like trendy stuff and want to be in a cult like group. one of my first computers as a kid was a macintosh performa 6300 and all ive seen from apple over the years is they go backwards to appease people who are too stupid to understand what they are giving up or allowing apple to control. apple is not our masters.

WOW... you need to stay of the internet, PC, and live in the real world a bit more. This is just wrong. each has their customers and most real power Linux users don't brag how much better it is cause it isn't any better than the others. You just think you are almighty cause you may use it a bit.

I'm picturing a scriptkiddy trying to be super cool to the internet when you really know nothing of importance when you talk like that. I have no idea who you are, but learn to be humble and not sound like a douche canoe. There's always someone smarter than you out there.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realize that many Fat PS3's do play (most) PS2 games natively on them as they have the Emotion Engine chip in them. Sony removed it as a cost saving measure since Microsoft was creaming them in the sales department as the 360 was much cheaper. Also, just like there are games that Microsoft wan't allowed to have the Xbox One / Xbox Series play as the companies that owned them wouldn't give them the license to, Sony likely had the same issues with the emulated PS2 games on PS3 through PSN.
I'm well aware.

The point is, PS3 and PS4 are capable of playing PS2 games, not all, but a lot and still they didn't offer it to their paid customers. Meanwhile, users with CFW/HEN PS3s and PS4s can play PS2 titles on it.

It looks as though Sony ignored it completely and carelessly.

PS2 games even converted without any patches or whatever, they tend to look like a HD Remaster. I genuinely loved playing Burnout Revenge and it felt like the HD version I had wanted. Plus, it looks way better than the blurry-effect on the Xbox 360 version.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

With a single statement you've proven your arrogance and ignorance.

I'm not even entering in the OS debate here because it would last forever and all three have their pros and cons, I'm gonna talk about hardware.

Mac devices have a fantastic built in quality, great speakers and their laptop screens are best-in-class.
The new Apple SoCs are leagues ahead their intel counterparts, one clear example of that is their CPU geekbench score. Also they are highly efficient energy-wise, making their laptop batteries last longer and heating much less than any intel they've used in past. Macbook Air doesn't even have fans now.

This is not to say I don't recognize Apple's flaws, their products are expensive and they have some anti-consumer bs that is simply unbearable.

Also, please, do not go on so condescending. Judging people's intelligence just makes you look like a jerk, there are always brighter people out there and there is always room for learning.

Are M1 somehow related to M.2 SSD?

Nope. Apple started now designing their custom SoCs based on ARM architecture for their desktops and laptops, the so called, Apple Silicon.

Similar on how they've been already doing for a long time on their iPhones and iPads.
The iPhones and iPads SoCs usually follow the pattern of "A + some incremental number". Macs are going down that route as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night