PS3 DTS Sound Out to Non-DTS reciever...

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by suppachipmunk, Jan 30, 2010.

Jan 30, 2010
  1. suppachipmunk
    OP

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hello all,

I currently have a cheap Philips Surround Sound System, Click Here.

The Receiver does decode Dolby Digital and DD Pro Logic II, but NOT DTS.

I have the receiver hooked up to my TV through HDMI cable. The TV outputs sound through an optical cable that leads back into the receiver's Optical In. This is very convenient as the reciever has only 1 optical in, and my TV has the optical out option (which outputs 5.1). This causes all sound to be output to the surround system.

The question is, even though a PS3 (dont own yet), decodes and outputs DTS, but the receiver doesn't decode DTS, will the reciever still output the DTS sound quality? What if I hook up the optical cable directly from the PS3 to the Receiver?

It may seem like I am answering my own question, but after two weeks of searching, I have found sites that the say the reciever DOES NOT matter, as long as the Player Device (PS3 in this case) has the ability to decode the audio codec.

Is this true, or does both the output device (ps3) and the receiver (philips surround sound) have to have DTS decoding?

I can always return the receiver to get a new one that has DTS decoding, but i already have it set up and don't feel like going through the hassle again. [​IMG]

Thank you for any help in this matter.
    suppachipmunk