Hacking PS3 CFW Above 3.55? Yes with 4.82 !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit by Moderator on November 2017:

PS3 Custom firmware is still possible using the old method which requires an official Firmware v3.55, with some limitations. See the spoiler from November 2012 below.
PS3 Custom firmware is now also possible with the official firmware v4.82, but currently works only on specific consoles.

Compatible PS3 consoles:
PS3 Fat
: ALL COMPATIBLE !
PS3 Slim : Compatible only if your PS3 console with serial number 2xxxx has the minimum installable firmware 3.56 or lower. If your PS3 console with serial number 2xxxx has minimum installable firmware 3.60 or higher it's currently not compatible.

NOT compatible yet:
PS3 Slim
with serial 3xxxx
PS3 super slim (all of them)

The new hacking steps are:
1) First, you need to install the official firmware 4.82 (and only 4.82 !).
2) Then you can use a software method to edit your NAND or NOR chipset from a browser hack.
3) Once it's patched, you can install a CFW 4.82 (not lower).
4) Once you are on CFW 4.82, you are free to downgrade to another CFW version or keep the one you installed.

The main release thread and the full tutorial is available here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/490200/

Edit version by Moderator from November 2012:
Edit by Moderator on November 2012:

PS3 Custom Firmware are now possible past fw3.55, but most (if not all?) consoles require that you are in 3.55 before installing a custom firmware.
Not all consoles allow downgrade, so before upgrading/updating your console, please read and understand if what you are doing is correct. you may be unable to downgrade without buying an hardware to flash your console's NAND/NOR chipset. I'm sure most of you don't know how to do that, so better safe than sorry!

Our current guide on GBAtemp covers old cFW installation (3.40 to 3.55).
There are some user's guide in the Guide and FAQ section, but I encourage yourself to read other website too and understand very well the options you have (there are a lot of cFW past 4.x, you need to choose one correctly).
You are also encouraging to post a guide to help your fellow Tempers here. The community should help each other.

Original post by Nujui from 2010:
Right now, the only OFW able to have CFW is 3.55 and below. Anything above will not able to use CFW. The only way you can have CFW at this point in time is if you buy a downgrade, such as Progskeet or the E3 Flasher, to downgrade to 3.55.

When is there ever going to be a cfw pass it? Answer is: We don't know. There could be someone secretly working on a CFW as I'm typing this, if you really want CFW for 3.56 and above, then be patient.

Last edited by Cyan,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1