PS3 Best Selling Console of 2011

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by prowler, Oct 29, 2011.

Oct 29, 2011
  1. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom

Nintendo has released some very interesting information in its Semi-Annual Financial Results Briefing regarding Worldwide software and hardware sales for all three consoles.

According to the estimated figures released by Nintendo, Sony’s PlayStation 3 is the top selling console in the World, with NeoGaf translating the figures on the graphs provided as follows:

(Estimated figures)

2011 YTD HARDWARE SALES

TOTAL US EU JP
    PS3 6.3 2.42 2.79 1.11
    NDS 5.5 2.67 2.26 0.60
    360 5.5 3.45 1.98 0.09
    3DS 5.0 1.42 1.48 2.15
    WII 4.9 2.36 2.01 0.55
    PSP 3.9 0.85 1.40 1.60

- US: NPD, Jan to Sep.
    - JP: Media Create, Week 1 to Week 42.
    - EU: Nintendo, Week 1 to Week 41.
    Interestingly this puts PS3 at almost 1 million units ahead of the Xbox 360, which would seem accurate considering that PS3 consistently outsells the Xbox 360 in both Europe and Japan, while the Xbox 360 generally outperforms PS3 in both the U.S and UK.

On the software side there is some very interesting information; for instance in Europe, Killzone 3 on the PlayStation 3 has outsold the Xbox 360 version of Rockstar’s L.A Noire. While the PS3 version of FIFA 12 is clearly the most popular, going as far as topping the European charts for the period of January – September. Interestingly even Call of Duty Black Ops is performing better on PS3, which is something which we would not have expected.

PS3 franchises such as Gran Turismo 5 and Killzone 3 seems to be performing well, while Epic’s Gears of War 3 also seems to have got off to a strong start.

Software for Wii and DS is still going strong in Europe, with eight titles being represented in the top ten.

Source

inb4 some lame excuse from Nintendo fans.

3 people like this.

2. ZaeZae64

Member ZaeZae64 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    *Some lame excuse by Nintendo fans*

1 person likes this.
  3. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    In fairness the PSP is the the lowest selling console. Ergo Sony still sucks.

4. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    after a couple of years, finally sony ?

Nothing really to be proud of.

Then again i believe all these console/handheld sales mean nothing.

5. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    This is only because of its failed success in the western market due to being overshadowed by the DS, as well as Sony shifting their focus to the PS3 upon its release. The PSP effectively lost all third party support that actually cared to release things outside of Japan, and started into a downward spiral. If it wasn't for the hacking community, the PSP wouldn't be doing even as well as it has to this point in the west. In Japan though, the PSP is still a hot product, and the Vita is shaping up to move right on up. Of course, Sony tried there. They gave up years ago here.

Anyways, I'm honestly surprised to see the PS3 doing so well. Then again, the Wii has just about run its course with the advance of the Wii U, and between the 360 and the PS3, as stated in the article, they are both more popular in different regions. I guess it all just works out in the long run.

6. coolness

Banned coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord

Netherlands
    lol i have a PS3 Wii 2 DSi and 2 DS lite :P and 2 gameboy (both defect)

7. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    Yawn - immature fanboy bollocks !

8. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Good on Sony, its been a big upward battle but since they now have a lot more games (sadly some look worse than 360 but that's due to publishers not giving devs more time), since the price cut and since its actually gets better exclusives (to me anyway) people are grabbing it. The Move was a massive misfire though.

As for Nintendo sales well anyone who wants a Wii pretty much has one already and if they don't they'll grab one used. Same for DS. 3DS has only just started doing really well though apparently it was head to head with how the DS was doing when that was first released. Had it been launched with some better titles and with that price cut then I reckon that would have been the best seller.

Either way all are doing well considering the economy especially the PSP seeing it gets no media attention and I have no idea what the big games were this year...if there was any.

4 people like this.
  9. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    sony are good with consoles but nintendo dominate the handhelds.
    its kinda impressive that actually there was a surge and strangely after the ps3 was hacked...

1 person likes this.
  10. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    You would need a used PS3 to hack it to get lower firmware, no?
    Used sales don't get counted (and can't keep tracked of).

11. alidsl

Member alidsl I am now a lurker

United Kingdom
    I didn't know that the 360 is so unpopular in Japan

12. zygie

Member zygie GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    Somehow for me this comes as no surprise. If I was to buy a console right now, it would be a PS3. I already have a DS, PSP, and a Wii, and the 360 doesn't really appeal to me much. The PS3 has some really nice titles too. As I always believe, it's all about the content no matter what console it is.

13. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Well here's my question, if the PS3 is doing so great due to title releases then what is the game library compare to the PS3 and Xbox360?

To be specific, shovelware/title releases.

14. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Uhh...yay? All this means is that the PS3 is finally selling well. Most gamers already have a 360 or a Wii so I would have to assume the PS3 sales would be better. I am a little shocked at the 3DS though, definitely expected it to sell quite a bit less. Huh.

Anyone remember when the first PS3 came out and everyone criticized it and it didn't sell as well as Sony anticipated? I must admit that I am looking for a cheap PS3 as well, but I can't find one anywhere so that might be a problem.

15. boktor666

Member boktor666 Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!

Netherlands
    Im happy that the ps3 has such good sales. But alas, with everything, haters gonna hate :/

1 person likes this.
  16. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Well it was criticized because it was like $600. Nowadays you can get one for less than half of that brand new (PS3 Slims are $250).

17. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    PS3 has a nice library of cheap games like Assassin's Creed and Ratchet and Clank.
    Now seems like a great time to buy a PS3.
    I'm sure that it has atleast 3 more years of good releases.

18. GameWinner

Member GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    The PS3 is cheap now, $250 is not a lot compared to the $600 price tag it had (hell, I got mine when it was $400 and that was a lot for me!).

19. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Um...it's still 2011, right? Not that 2 months are gonna change much but...posting such claims in October is ridiculous.

20. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It looks like sony might overtake the handheld market now since the 3ds is a complete joke.