PS3 and PS Vita get new firmware updates

psvita.jpg

Sony has decided to update the firmwares of two of its aging consoles, the PlayStation 3 and the PS Vita. With version 4.89 for the PS3 and version 3.74 for the PS Vita, certain changes have been effected to the account management settings. For instance, log-in password recovery now requires a third-party device as does the creation of a new account for these devices, which cannot be done natively on these systems as of this update.

:arrow: SOURCE 1 (Image), SOURCE 2

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was unable to deactivate my account from my Vita.
hdjXEBD.png

Hopefully the update fixes this or they fixed it in addition to the update seeing as they've directed their attention to changing account related functionality. But something tells me I shouldn't get my hopes up. (Likewise, the update probably does not add the ability to lower the brightness so the OLED model doesn't burn holes in my eyes when playing indoors.)

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 309602
Hopefully the update fixes this or they fixed it in addition to the update seeing as they've directed their attention to changing account related functionality. But something tells me I shouldn't get my hopes up. (Likewise, the update probably does not add the ability to lower the brightness so the OLED model doesn't burn holes in my eyes when playing indoors.)
The account activation procedure now requires that you log in to PSN via either a browser or the app, set up 2fa authentication, re-log in, navigate to security and find the device password activation, copy the provided password, log in on your Vita using your email address and the 'device activation' password... after that simple process you can log in again using your regular password.
If it sounds like a PITA, that's because it is. Well done Sony.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh, I dreaded this day would come.

Still, who really cares? Just use CFW on Vita and HFW on PS3 (unless you can use CFW).

Also, PS3 Xploit says do NOT update to 4.89 @ http://ps3xploit.com/

Not sure why anyone would, much as I like PS3, it's discontinued.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 309602
Man, the Vita Slim always looked "weird" to me due to how plasticky it is, but it's more reminiscent of the PSP than Vita OLED is.

Vita OLED is awesome (although I wish it had normal-sized sticks).

Reactions: cearp

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Imagine the Switch disabling nintendo account creation on the cons- oh wait, that's a thing since FW 1.0.0.
You are really going to compare a current Nintendo product which has always been up front about account creation with the ancient Vita and PS3 having that functionality ripped out of them a decade or more on?

Sony fanboy much?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah... but if you want to use online features, regardless of having CFW or not, you need a valid PSN account.
PS3 online.. in 2022? Not something I'd do, especially with CFW/HFW.

My HFW PS4 is always offline (from PSN). I couldn't care less about PSN.

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Online is still playable on 3.60 / 3.65 and will continue to do so.
According to SKGleba, this update didn't change much in term of homebrews. It is speculated that it changed things to fix some exploits on the PSN network regarding PSN login and PSStore (This seems to be about adding login QR Codes to flash with a mobile phone and a message about the device setup password), that's about it.

As usual, don't update and if you're on 3.69 or above, downgrade to a lower version, preferably 3.60 as it will be easier to get the hack working afterwards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.