XP
Country
United States
i was just wondering when does the ps2 officialy die

also would you want the ps2 to die

EDIT:almost a 100 views and still no reply

D

Deleted User

I'm guessing it's on it's way out as developers look toward the XBox 360, Wii and PS3.

TGBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
I believe Sony lowered the price for the PS2 for those who brought the $399 PS3 and want the PS2 compatibility.
And a new design is on its way. So i guess its here for another year maybe.

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes i do want it to die sick old machine
But its not dead
Mine is i have so freakin carefully used it and after about 3/4years of use the laser is broken
sigh.. bad console

ugly_rose

Trophies
XP
Country
My PS2 killed my Gran Turismo 4 disc...
frown.gif

I think I let it run a wee bit too many 24 hour races on auto control.

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
i hope it doesn't die anytime soon, i'm too poor to buy a next/current (?) gen console. unfortunately it seems like most publishers and developers (sony included, to some extent) are pretty much abandoning the format - most of the games on the horizon now are either shite movie licenses or long overdue pal conversions of games that were released in the states last year.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PS2 will never die. Mine is still kicking and I got it on the Christmas of its release, not even sure how long that is anymore

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My PS2 killed my Gran Turismo 4 disc...
frown.gif
Â

I think I let it run a wee bit too many 24 hour races on auto control.
That's funny, because GT killed my first PS2 (6 days after warranty expired DRE death)
laugh.gif

I'm with bollocks; not only do I not want to fork out for the console, but I don't have any hi def TV's around to appreciate next gen on. I for one am glad that devs didn't drop PS2 like it burns (like they did with xbox).

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
i dont get these topics, what does DIE mean? why would someone want it to die? lots of retro gamers like me or Hadrian (as said in tempcast #5) still play with their 20+ old consoles so its alive for them and some people play PS3 at same time, everyone happy with what they like, so whats their Death mean? there are tons of pages on GBA's death, and there is nothing useful there.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
"Die" in a console sense typically means its last manufacturer-approved commercial game has been released and shipped to shelves at public retailers. This is regional, since often a platform will last longer in some areas than others.

The first sentance above can also mean online sales instead if for some reason the last game for a system was only officially sold via websites.

As an example, the final GameCube game in Japan was The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. And the final GBA one there was Final Fantasy VI Advance.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just like most "popular" systems it won't die. Commercially though, it still has a lot of time left, I'm sure that companies like Activision, THQ & EA will still have games for it ready for Christmas 2008. Its also still doing well in Japan, with its games always in the top ten.

I don't know exactly what games are coming, aside from Ghostbusters at October and the Nights remake. There'll be a lot of games ported from the PSP/Wii too as companies try to make maximize profits.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The PS2 should be dead by now. I retired mine about 2 years ago and still can't believe games are still being released for it. Compared to xbox 360 graphics the PS2 seems old. My PS2 is modded as well and packed away in its box
laugh.gif
I always preferred the Xbox 1.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Mine certainly isn't dead.
In my opinion, the PS2, like the SNES, will live on as a classic forever.
But commercially it will have to die eventually. It hasn't gotten there yet due to games still be released for it rather than the PS3.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though I don't own a PS2, I see no reason to want it dead. Millions of people have one and if it's still getting some support, then good.

4ppleseed

Trophies
XP
Country
I went into Tesco's (big UK supermarket) in central London this weekend. It's one of those smaller 'Local' branches and they had a load of chart games; most were DS and XBOX360 ... and the Sony section ONLY had PS2 games... number 1 was Barbie I think.

If that doesn't say anything about Sony's current position going into Xmas then I don't know what will.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2: