PS2 VS PSP?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by SavageWaffle, Mar 18, 2008.

Mar 18, 2008

PS2 VS PSP? by SavageWaffle at 5:29 PM (2,117 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. SavageWaffle
    OP

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I was interested in buying a PS2 or a PSP. Currently im saving money for a Xbox 360. But thats not the point. Its my birthday in about 2 days. In about 1~2 week or so im getting my Xbox 360. And i want to "feel" how i feel when i pay $350+Tax for a Console. Not to waste it but to like own it too.
    So PS2 and the PSP is both made by Sony but:
    The PSP is $169.99(Original Core Pack) and $199.99(Daxter Bundle Pack)
    The PS2 is $129.99(New Slim System/Design)

Obviously the PS2 is much cheaper, has pretty much the same games as the PSP but isn't hand held. Is the $70 difference really a big deal? I mean with that $70 i can buy a few games for my console.
    And the game prices.... New PS2 games on Gamestop.com are about $19.99. Considering Twisted Metal: Heads On. Its not the newest game out today, but still good i guess. I have played the last Twisted Metal for the PS2 on my friends PS2 about 3 years ago. And new PSP games go up to $39.99 considering Wild Arms XF, God of War: Olympus, and MLB 08: The Show. Even if there is a $20 difference, i can buy 2 PS2 games with the money of 1 PSP game.

So if possible, what are some PROS+CONS of Both consoles?
    And i heard the PSP was just like a mini PS2(since its hand held.), and because of that it has practically the same games as the PS2.

2. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    PS2 , much , much better library of games. PSP does have a lot of games that are ports of what's on the ps2 or very similar to what's on there , but a lot of psp games are also ported to the ps2. Both psp gtas are on ps2 , silent hill origins is on ps2 , the syphon filter games from it have been ported.

Also ps2 has god of war 1 and 2 , which are reason enough to get one [​IMG].

3. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    get the PS2.

4. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    Will the PS2 save me big more then the PSP? And how about the features?

5. test84

Iran
    PSP's library is nothing next to PS2's. According to NPD, even today sales of PS2 is higher than both PSP and PS3, all those people cant be wrong.

I have PS2 for two years and a friend lent me his PSP for two weeks, at end of 3rd day, I was just playing GENESIS and NES with it plus watching pictures.

for me that I have a handheld like DS, having ANOTHER handheld is a no (since i already carry too much stuff), plus, there is nothing there for me on PSP that is not available on PS2. (consider PS1 emulation tough, if you are a big PS1 fan)

6. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    So the PS2 is more advanced then the PSP? Is the PS2 Mod able? And what are some features that the PS2 has that the PSP doesnt have? (Excluding the large library)

7. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    Yes the ps2 is mod-able. Features that the ps2 has that the psp doesn't , hmm , can play dvd's , has proper analogue sticks rather than the stupid little nub thing the psp has , although this is really grasping at straws. Not quite sure where this is going though , the psp can have all the features in the world , but without a decent game library to back them up , then what's the point , it'll just be a waste.

8. test84

Iran
    PS2 got modded all over the place.
    PS2 is not more advanced, PSP is a handheld type of PS2 (with some corrections) so PSP's library games come from PS2 (plus some new games like Patapon).
    they are different and comparing them is not helping that much since one is handheld and the other is a home console, I would get PS2 if I had a DS.

feel free to ask more.

9. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    I do have a DS. I had a DS Original(Bought when first came out. Proud Owner of Phat DS) and then i upgraded to a DS Lite since my old DS Original has some problems(L+R button did not function. Clicks/Presses but no effect.) So lets say i get a PSP Slim. And i want to mod it. Is the Swap Magic good? I understand how it works. Is it reliable?

10. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    I use Swap Magic, on my current PS2 ... a new model slim one ... it works fine ... nice not to have to chip your machine.

My entire PS2 games collection ... which is about 450 titles ... all work perfectly with the Swap Magic v3.6 that I have.

Magic Tools for Swap Magic Note : the newest PS2 models need the final tool ... the one that goes down the side of the hinge ... to be inserted as normal, but then turned 90 degrees clockwise, once inside the gap, for it to work.

11. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    Did you mean ps2 , not psp slim?. As swap magic is a ps2 device , not psp. Anyway , swap magic works well enough , you have to swap discs to use it and it won't run dual layer games (there are only a few about) , but if that don't bother you , it's fine.

12. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    Its not hard for me to swap discs. And i understand you have to mount "Magic Keys" into your PS2 Slim console. Is it difficult? I have no experience of mounting, soldering, etc. My LCD TV isnt even mounted either, just on a TV Stand. And are "Magic Keys" made with plastic? Is it breakable(very easily?). And i understand that there is a "flip" version and a "slide" version when mounting. Which is more easy/popular?

13. michaelf

Newcomer michaelf Advanced Member

United States
    I think when you're asking about which one has better features you need to ask youself is you want a console or a portable. I'd say that's the key "feature." PS2 is a pretty solid choice with a gigantic library of games and still has a few games coming out here and there to this day. PSP is, well, portable and has a lot of aftermarket features such as all the emulation. It's also getting a bunch of weird features that link it up to the PS3 which I find interesting. That will probably sell me on one once that PS3 is finally purchased. Plus the PSP slim is a pretty good redesign.

You shouldn't try to compare them graphically, mod-ability, or think of the PSP a "portable PS2" because that's just not the case. It sounds like the question is console or portable. It also looks like the thread is pushing PS2.

EDIT - If you have an HD set, the component cables (RGB) are fantastic with the PS2. You'll notice the difference.

14. test84

Iran
    yeah, I think he meant PS2 Slim Model.

15. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    Does any one have a picture guide of how to install the Flip Top/Cover for the Magic Swaps?

16. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    And can i get arrested?
    According to Wikipedia....
    "NOTE: Preform methods shown at own risk, as Swap-Magic is illegal under United States Law"
    And i live in the US. Since im going to have to buy online, when it ships, will it be denied?

17. TheNeck

Member TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Like michaelf mentioned did you want/need a portable system for when not at home other than your DS? If that is the case get a psp, that is what i did, in which i bring my psp to work and play with it at lunch for like 30-45 minutes everyday. But if you only play games at home you might be better off with a PS2, in which case get Memor32 from RHS instead of the swap magic.

18. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    Well i play my DS at home and at my lunch.

19. Duke_Jay

Member Duke_Jay GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Depends, you already have a handheld (DS) and you are going to get a console (X360).
    You can also save your money and buy some great X360 games for it. In my opinion you wont use the PS2 alot of you have an X360, it will start to iritate if you notice the large amount of difference in the graphics. But in the end it is your choice.

20. solange82200

Member solange82200 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Dude, you wont get arrested. And you wont get denied delivery. If you google some of these questions, there are tons of answers out there. There are videos on Youtube that show you exactly how to install Magic Keys (no soldering, they are just little pieces of plastic that you plug into some holes), how to use Swap Magic, how to install the flip top lid. I got the flip top lid, but that was because I didnt know about the Magic Keys. If I could go back, I would get the Magic Keys instead, because with the fliptop you have to take your ps2 apart, and void your warranty. Plus I was really scared I was screwing something up!