PS2 (via PSN) games on PS3, USB/controller/HDMI go out?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Another World, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Another World
    OP

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    I've just purchased my first PS2 game via PSN for the PS3. Bully, if anyone was curious. When I launch or exit the game the PS3 stops outputting. USB stops, I know this because a connected cooling fan shuts off. My controller de-syncs itself. HDMI stops outputting.

As this is my first PS2 game on the PS3, I was curious if this is normal or just a Bully issue?

Some relevant info:
    PS3 Slim (unmodified in any way) running stock firmware v4.55

After this odd phenomenon everything works perfectly fine. Bully plays and saves fine. PS3 games continue to play fine. It is almost like it is booting into a PS2 mode. As I was unsure exactly how to Google this, I thought I may get a better response here.

Thanks =)

-Another World

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    I have Persona 3 FES on PS3 and I don't recall HDMI stops working. It did go to blackscreen for couple seconds as it was switching from 1080p to 720p.

3. Another World
    OP

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    The HDMI thing could just be it switching. That doesn't confuse me as much. But the USB ports turning off and controller de-syncing seems odd. I do not have any other PS2 games on my PS3, so I have nothing to compare it to.

-another world

4. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    Yeah, it's normal for the controller to desync, just press the PS button again. It does seem to be switching into another state for PS2 play. It signs you out of PSN as well, so maybe it cuts off PS3 functions, much like WiiU and the virtual Wii mode. Pretty annoying but I can live with it. :(

I got the same responses from googling about this myself when I first bought P3 FES as a PS2 classic, so I don't think anything is wrong with your system. :)

Another World likes this.
  5. cdoty

cdoty GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    I'm not sure about HDMI, might be switching resolutions or something, but when I boot a PS2 game disc and return to the PS3 I have to press the guide button to turn the controller back on.

My best guess is Sony wanted to prevent an attack from the PS2 side, so the PS2 is sandboxed and the system has to reset into PS3 mode.

6. Necron

Necron Lurking~

Dec 29, 2008
    Chile
    Mi casa
    Yup, same here when I booted up Odin Sphere. It was pretty weird the first time, but I guessed it booted a PS2 mode, so other functions should stop. I wouldn't worry about fans though.