PS1/2 PS2 softmod help.

Varia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a PS2 for quite a while now, though I only have like... 5 original games (gave away all the others I had).
Thought I might as well and hack it to play free games, but that PS2 softmod topic isn't really noob friendly and doesn't explain much...

So first thing, is there any way to boot PS2 games from a USB stick instead of burning them on DVD discs?

If there isn't, can anyone explain to me the guide in the sticky, because I seriously couldn't understand a thing.
I don't have 007, but I though I might try using one of my games to check if it works
tongue.gif
(and no, none of them are listed in the game list).
I have a USB stick, an 8MB genuine memory card and the games: Ratchet & Clank, DBZ: Budokai 2, Prince of Persia: Warrior Withing, Lego Star Wars (the 1st one), Eye Toy Play 3 and that rubbish game I got with the system - Singstar.

Thanks a lot for whoever helps.

Varia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replay.
I would prefer to do it myself, than let others do it for me.
So anyway, I didn't really get the 1st part - "A Boot method for the installer".
I went to here: http://freemcboot.psx-scene.com/swap.html
which is the only option suitable for me,
but all it says is about 007, and I don't have that game.
could you explain to me how do I do it with one of my games?

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can try with ratchet and clank as it is the oldest game you have. You need to edit the iso and replace an .elf (every game is different)with ulaunchelf elf and swap the disk at the right time. This mean you need to block the sensors on your machine. check on youtube to do that(swap sensor blocking). I have heard this have a high rates of success on demo disks

Varia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, I think I'm starting to understand a little.

I have a fat PS2, not a slim, so do I still need to open up my PS2 and block the sensors?
Because when I go into a game, and take out the disc, the game still plays.
Also, can I use the demo disc I get with the system?
It has a few playable demos and a few trailers on it.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
If you can track down an AR disc (you don't even need to buy it, just borrow from a friend) you can install freemcboot with that.

Varia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Unfortunately, I have no friends with PS2's (which means no AR) , and the cheapest I could get it for is $25 (from eBay).

Going to repeat my question, so people won't miss it
tongue.gif

"I have a fat PS2, not a slim, so do I still need to open up my PS2 and block the sensors?
Because when I go into a game, and take out the disc, the game still plays.
Also, can I use the demo disc I get with the system?
It has a few playable demos and a few trailers on it."

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can try with that disk it should work...
You might just be able to swap it like you say without anything but i know some fat ps2 users have touse slide card instead because the sensors on slim is the eject button on fat... check slide card/swap tool on youtube

Varia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It isn't very hard to make one of those "slide cards", right? so I guess I'll try first without one, and if it doesn't work, I'll try with it. At least I don't need to open up my PS2
tongue.gif

Anyway, what I don't get is the other games:
http://freemcboot.psx-scene.com/swap.html

Take "SOCOM Combined Assult" for example - it says "SCUSNGUI.ELF" right next to it, and for "Ratchet Deadlocked" it says "NTGUI.ELF".
What does this mean? does it mean that I need to rename the uncompressed BOOT.ELF file to something else, and not DRIVING if I have one of these game? if so, then how do I know what to rename it if I use Ratchet and Clank?

Thanks a lot for your help btw, very much appreciated.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It means you select a .elf file in your disk and replace it with ulaunchelf s boot.elf with taking care of renaming it to the same name. Pretty simple; you just have to figure out when that .elf gets launch and swap disks when its about to be launched.

Varia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So as I said before, how do I know what to rename it for my games?
And how do I know when to swap the disks? do I need to guess?

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You did not choose the easy path it might take many tries/burns .
Yes you need to guess but in the same time its very logical.
Driving.elf get launch when you go to the driving level. rocky.elf gets launch when you select the game rocky in the playground section... there must be something that easy in your demo disk.

Varia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I see.
There are a couple racing games demos in the demo disk, so I think I'll try with DRIVING, and hopefully it'll work
tongue.gif

If not, then I guess I'll just get 007 - Agent Under Fire, I don't really have energy to mess around with this.

Thanks a lot, hopefully it'll work.
Gotta do it in my friend's house though, since my PC absolutely sucks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGAHfC5P-Y