PS2 SATA board and maximum HDD file size supported

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The PS3 didn't even use SATA 3, it was SATA 2 I believe... so even the PS3 left SSD performance on the table. I'm guessing the PS2 is capped at the IDE bus of 66MB/s, which is fast enough for games to load. Still faster than the DVD drive, anyway. And random seek times are when the harddrive head has to jump to random places to get the correct data from the spinning disk. Usually measured in milliseconds, so the end user might not even notice the difference between an HDD and an SSD, but the lack of drive noise will be apparent.

I think the HDD I bought for the PS3 was SATA 3.0 but I guess that has nothing to do with that since you were talking about the SATA adapter and not its HDD/SSD.

That's why I asked if the PS2 would take full advance of a SSD. I was also told even the PS3 doesn't.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
When talking about the drive containing the games, are you talking about the PC's HDD?If so, will it transfer games at the lower speed, i.e., the PS2's HDD's speed (assuming it's slower than the PC's HDD)? So, we have to take into account the PCs HDD's write speed and the PS2's HDD's write speed?

That's why I asked because I thought the PS2 wouldn't take full advantage of the SSD because the PS2 is old (maybe even the PS3 wouldn't). What are random seek times and after all it wouldn't be as slow as the IDE (if it has Sony's Network Adapter, I guess)/SATA bus (if it has the chinese network adapter, I guess)?
Yes, I was talking about the PC's HDD (or an external HDD connected via USB, etc.). I don't think you really need to worry about this though, it'll take the time it needs. The positive thing is that likely you'll only need to do this once, the next time you want to add a new game, the needed time will be much shorter

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, I was talking about the PC's HDD (or an external HDD connected via USB, etc.). I don't think you really need to worry about this though, it'll take the time it needs. The positive thing is that likely you'll only need to do this once, the next time you want to add a new game, the needed time will be much shorter

Yes, assuming I don't find dozens of games to add next time. I'm asking this because I'm worried about copying a game to the PS2's HDD/SSD/SSHD would take a lot of time (I guess), so imagine 2 TB of them.

I also wanted to download a lot of PS1 games so 2 TB might not be enough.

Reactions: Snomannen_kalle

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

So, just to be sure, the copying speed would depend on the PC's HDD's/SSD's/eMMC's/SSHD's and the PS2's HDD's/SSD's/SSHD's write speeds? And if the games were hosted on an external HDD connected to the PC, the copying speed would depend on the PC's HDD's/SSD's/eMMC's/SSHD's/, PC's external HDD's and PS2's HDD's/SSD's/SSHD's write speeds? What about the internet speed? Would there be other factors involved?

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So, just to be sure, the transfer speed would depend on the PC's HDD's write speed and the PS2's HDD's write speed? And if the games were stored on an external HDD and connected to the PC, the transfer speed would depend on the PC's HDD's write, on the PC's external HDD's write speed and on the PS2's HDD's write speed? What about the internet speed? Would there be other factors involved?
There's probably more stuff, but I'm really not the correct person to answer this question as I'm mostly making assumptions here; I don't know the details on how the different computer software installs games on a PS2 HDD and what might influence the process

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There's probably more stuff, but I'm really not the correct person to answer this question as I'm mostly making assumptions here; I don't know the details on how the different computer software installs games on a PS2 HDD and what might influence the process

Why is it faster downloading files from the PS3 to the PC via FTP than uploading them from the PC to the PS3 and does the same thing go for the PS2, PSP, PS Vita and PS TV?

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Why is it faster transferring files from the PS3 to PC via FTP than the opposite and is it faster transferring files from the PS2, PSP, PS Vita and PS TV to PC via FTP than the opposite too?
I have no idea. I guess it must have to do with read vs write speed of the drives involved. Here is a post on Stack Overflow that details these things if you're curious

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've seen people recommend the MaxDIYPower adapters (here's a link posted in a different thread, but I can't get it to work myself - not sure if it's my browser or if the site is down). Otherwise, the BitFunx adapters seems to be good too (this is what I've noted for myself a while back that I'll get one day for my system). You can find these on AliExpress by searching simply for "bitfunx sata".

I don't know if there is any max size supported by the HDD adapter, but if I remember correctly, OPL (or some other software for the PS2 is not OPL) doesn't support internal drives larger than 2TB.

Not all drives are supported by the PS2. There exists a compatibility list, but the page seems to be down at the moment. Note also that IDE drives use the PATA interface and won't work with the clone HDD adapters as they only support the SATA interface. I can't think of any reason you'd want to connect such an old drive to your PS2 if you had the option not to though, unless you had one lying around somewhere

Are there SSDs and SSHDs in that list? I don't understand.

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Are there SSDs and SSHDs in that list? I can't understand.
Yes, some people have added SSDs to the list as well (e.g. this one: https://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list&v_modelnum=MX500)

It's not stated in the list whether a disk is an SSD or not, so you need to search each one in Google to find out. The way I found the one above was to sort it descending by year (showing the newest additions first), then looking for the drives where the RPM was set to N/A. Note that some of the drives with RPM set to N/A are still HDDs, so you still need to search to find out whether it's an SSD or not

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, some people have added SSDs to the list as well (e.g. this one: https://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list&v_modelnum=MX500)

It's not stated in the list whether a disk is an SSD or not, so you need to search each one in Google to find out. The way I found the one above was to sort it descending by year (showing the newest additions first), then looking for the drives where the RPM was set to N/A. Note that some of the drives with RPM set to N/A are still HDDs, so you still need to search to find out whether it's an SSD or not

What about SSHDs? Does the Expansion Bay only support 3.5" HDDs or 2.5" HDDs too?

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What about SSHDs? Does the expansion bay only support 3.5" HDDs or 2.5" HDDs too?
It supports both, though if you get a 2.5" drive it will hang a little in the air as the connector for it is on the top; you might want to get a device to support it. Not sure about SSHDs though (never heard of them before now), but I guess there's really no reason why it shouldn't. You can always check in the list if you find a drive you like, whether it's an SSD, HDD, or SSHD

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello,fellow PlayStation 2 User.:)

From personal Experience with different SATA Adapters and SSD´s / SATA HDD´s,if I may say,I would avoid
SSD´s for the PlayStation 2.

Apart from the Fact that you can't hear or see anything (the HDD LED of the PlayStation 2 doesn't light up with these Adapters,but it can possibly be converted / converted with DIY methods, I don't know...)
depending on the Brand / Type of the SSD you maybe encounter Troubles when it comes to Saves (VMC).
Or Synchronicity Issues with Guitar Games (mainly custom made Games).

Maybe faster Access / loading Times ? Maybe in some rare Cases.....but you will not really notice it.

I have used SSD´s for the PlayStation 2 / XBox / Wii / Wii U and decided to switch back to SATA HDDs.
Mainly because of no really benefit (and the said Issues)

Wish you a very nice Day.
Thank you for Reading.😉

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Do you know if there are any IDE SSDs, and if so, are there any IDE SSDs in that list?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi +1