PS2 SATA board and maximum HDD file size supported

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Do all SATA adapters work on the official Network Adaptor, and if not, could someone show me some that do?

What's the maximum IDE/SATA HDD/SSD/SSHD file size supported by the official Network Adaptor and the one regarding the chinese Network Adaptors? 2 TB in all cases?

Do all IDE/SATA HDDs/SSDs/SSHDs work on the official Network Adaptor (after converting its board to SATA, regarding SATA HDDs/SSDs/SSHDs) and do all SATA HDDs/SSDs/SSHDs work on the chinese Network Adaptors?

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Do all SATA boards work on PS2's Sony's Network Adapter, and if not, could someone show me some that do?

What's the maximum IDE/SATA HDD file size supported by PS2's Sony's Network Adapterm And what about the maximum SATA HDD file size supported by PS2's chinese Network Adapter? 2 TB in all 3 situations?

Do all SATA HDDs work on PS2's Sony's Network Adapter and do all IDE HDDs work on PS2's chinese Network Adapter?
I've seen people recommend the MaxDIYPower adapters (here's a link posted in a different thread, but I can't get it to work myself - not sure if it's my browser or if the site is down). Otherwise, the BitFunx adapters seems to be good too (this is what I've noted for myself a while back that I'll get one day for my system). You can find these on AliExpress by searching simply for "bitfunx sata".

I don't know if there is any max size supported by the HDD adapter, but if I remember correctly, OPL (or some other software for the PS2 is not OPL) doesn't support internal drives larger than 2TB.

Not all drives are supported by the PS2. There exists a compatibility list, but the page seems to be down at the moment. Note also that IDE drives use the PATA interface and won't work with the clone HDD adapters as they only support the SATA interface. I can't think of any reason you'd want to connect such an old drive to your PS2 if you had the option not to though, unless you had one lying around somewhere

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've seen people recommend the MaxDIYPower adapters (here's a link posted in a different thread, but I can't get it to work myself - not sure if it's my browser or if the site is down). Otherwise, the BitFunx adapters seems to be good too (this is what I've noted for myself a while back that I'll get one day for my system). You can find these on AliExpress by searching simply for "bitfunx sata".

I don't know if there is any max size supported by the HDD adapter, but if I remember correctly, OPL (or some other software for the PS2 is not OPL) doesn't support internal drives larger than 2TB.

Not all drives are supported by the PS2. There exists a compatibility list, but the page seems to be down at the moment. Note also that IDE drives use the PATA interface and won't work with the clone HDD adapters as they only support the SATA interface. I can't think of any reason you'd want to connect such an old drive to your PS2 if you had the option not to though, unless you had one lying around somewhere

I don't know how to put a SATA adapter. I can't access that link as well. Do you think I should buy any SATA HDD/SSD/SSHD or one in ps2drives' list? That list was updated for the last time long ago.

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't know how to put a SATA board. For me it's the MaxDiYPower's that's down. Do you think I should buy any SATA HDD or one of that list? That list was last time updated a long time ago.
The list is still being maintained, latest entry is 2022. You could buy any drive you want, but it's not guaranteed it'll work. If you buy one based on the list, at least you have some accounts of it working.

As to the SATA boards, I think it's as easy as just unscrewing some screws and switch out a ribbon cable or FFC, though I haven't changed out the board on my HDD adapter so I can't say for sure

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The list is still being maintained, latest entry is 2022. You could buy any drive you want, but it's not guaranteed it'll work. If you buy one based on the list, at least you have some accounts of it working.

As to the SATA boards, I think it's as easy as just unscrewing some screws and switch out a ribbon cable or FFC, though I haven't changed out the board on my HDD adapter so I can't say for sure

But why don't all SATA HDDs/SSDs/SSHDs work on the SATA adapter? Is there a SATA adapter compatibility list?

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
But why don't all SATA HDDs work on the SATA board? Is there a SATA board compatibility list?
I don't know if some SATA boards have different compatibility, people have been recommending certain brands due to quality. No idea why some HDDs are Incompatible with the PS2 though, I only know that some are :P

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't know if some SATA boards have different compatibility, people have been recommending certain brands due to quality. No idea why some HDDs are Incompatible with the PS2 though, I only know that some are :P

Is the maximum HDD/SSD/SSHD file size determined by the PS2, the IDE/SATA adapter, the Network Adaptor or OPL?

What's the official Network Adaptor maximum supported file size, 1 TB?

How can I add games to the PS2's HDD/SSD/SSHD? Do I always need to take it from the Network Adaptor (and in turn from the Expansion Bay) and connect it to the PC or may it be done without taking it? If the latter, wouldn't it be too slow?

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Is the maximum HDD file size determined by the PS2, the HDD board, the network adapter or OPL?

What's PS2's Sony's Network Adapter maximum supported IDE HDD file size, 1 TB?

How can I add games to the HDD? Do I always need to take it from the Network Adapter and connect it to the PC or I may I transfer games from the PC to it? If the latter, wouldn't it be too slow?
I'm not certain what specifically determines the maximum size, but I think it might be software (i.e. OPL, wLaunchElf, etc.).

The maximum size is the same whether it's in IDE or a SATA drive, but keep in mind you'll be hard pressed to find an IDE drive larger than 1TB as the tech is old and I can't imagine they're still being produced.

You can transfer the games to the HDD via a computer and a software like rs1n's OPL BATCH. You can also use the network port if your HDD adapter has one, though I'm uncertain which computer software supports that

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm not certain what specifically determines the maximum size, but I think it might be software (i.e. OPL, wLaunchElf, etc.).

The maximum size is the same whether it's in IDE or a SATA drive, but keep in mind you'll be hard pressed to find an IDE drive larger than 1TB as the tech is old and I can't imagine they're still being produced.

You can transfer the games to the HDD via a computer and a software like rs1n's OPL BATCH. You can also use the network port if your HDD adapter has one, though I'm uncertain which computer software supports that

I was told IDE's maximum size was 1 TB and SATA's 2 TB.

But wouldn't it take a lot of time copying 2 TBs, for instance?

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Finding a 2nd hand IDE drive larger then 500gb (and even 500gb itself) is going to be a challenge.
Most I can find on local digital market are below the 120gb, some 160gb and 1 320gb

Last edited by lafleche,

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I was told IDE's maximum size was 1 TB and SATA's 2 TB.

But wouldn't it take a lot of time if transferring 2 TBs, for instance?
The 1TB size limit for IDE's must be a hardware limit due to no drives larger than 1TB exists with that interface (at least that I could find). The PS2, I imagine, doesn't know whether you have an IDE, a SATA drive, or even an SD card. I'm not certain of this though, and it is possible that I could be wrong about this.

Transfer speeds depends on your computer and the HDD itself, but I imagine it'll take a while if you want to fill it to the brim

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The 1TB size limit for IDE's must be a hardware limit due to no drives larger than 1TB exists with that interface (at least that I could find). The PS2, I imagine, doesn't know whether you have an IDE, a SATA drive, or even an SD card. I'm not certain of this though, and it is possible that I could be wrong about this.

Transfer speeds depends on your computer and the HDD itself, but I imagine it'll take a while if you want to fill it to the brim

What might be a bottleneck between the PC and the PS2's HDD/SSD/SSHD, I mean, which components?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
There isn't even 2TB of what I would call "good" PS2 games for the system. That said, I'd just get the SATA adapter with a cheap 2.5" 500GB SSD, and call it a day. No moving parts to wear out and replace down the road.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There isn't even 2TB of what I would call "good" PS2 games for the system. That said, I'd just get the SATA adapter with a cheap 2.5" 500GB SSD, and call it a day. No moving parts to wear out and replace down the road.

Does a SSD last longer than a HDD? Is a SSD faster than a HDD on the PS2?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm on shaky ground here, but at least the write speed of the drive and SATA generation (if internal) or USB generation (if using a USB adapter) will affect the transfer speeds

SATA generation, you mean, the SATA controller? May the PC's HDD/SSD/eMMC/SSHD be a bottleneck too?

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
SATA generation, you mean, the SATA board? Can the PC's HDD serve as a bottleneck too?
There are different revisions of SATA (se e.g. the Wikipedia article on SATA). If the drive containing the games have a lower read speed than your PS2's write speed, then that will work as a bottleneck too, yes

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Does a SSD last longer than a HDD? Is a SSD faster than a HDD on the PS2?
Generally yes, since there's no moving parts, SSDs last way longer. And given that the PS2 will only be reading FROM the SSD, it won't be wearing out the cells. It will still be as slow as the IDE bus (or whatever the PS2 can handle), but the random seek times will be faster for sure. And definitely faster than the USB v1.1 ports on the front.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There are different revisions of SATA (se e.g. the Wikipedia article on SATA). If the drive containing the games have a lower read speed than your PS2's write speed, then that will work as a bottleneck too, yes

When talking about the drive containing the games, are you talking about the PC's HDD/SSD/eMMC/SSHD? If so, will it copy games at the lowest speed, I mean, the PS2's HDD/SSD/SSHD (assuming it's slower than the PC's HDD/SSD/eMMC/SSHD)? So, both PC's HDD's/SSD's/eMMC's/SSHD's and PS2's HDD's/SSD's/SSHD's write speeds need to be taken into account?

Generally yes, since there's no moving parts, SSDs last way longer. And given that the PS2 will only be reading FROM the SSD, it won't be wearing out the cells. It will still be as slow as the IDE bus (or whatever the PS2 can handle), but the random seek times will be faster for sure. And definitely faster than the USB v1.1 ports on the front.

That's why I asked because I thought the PS2 wouldn't take full advantage of the SSD because it's old (I was told even the PS3 wouldn't). What are random seek times and, after all, it wouldn't be as slow as the IDE (if it has the official Network Adaptor, I guess)/SATA bus (if it has the chinese Network Adaptors, I guess)?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The PS3 didn't even use SATA 3, it was SATA 2 I believe... so even the PS3 left SSD performance on the table. I'm guessing the PS2 is capped at the IDE bus of 66MB/s, which is fast enough for games to load. Still faster than the DVD drive, anyway. And random seek times are when the harddrive head has to jump to random places to get the correct data from the spinning disk. Usually measured in milliseconds, so the end user might not even notice the difference between an HDD and an SSD, but the lack of drive noise will be apparent.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)