PS2 SATA board and maximum HDD file size supported

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The PS3 didn't even use SATA 3, it was SATA 2 I believe... so even the PS3 left SSD performance on the table. I'm guessing the PS2 is capped at the IDE bus of 66MB/s, which is fast enough for games to load. Still faster than the DVD drive, anyway. And random seek times are when the harddrive head has to jump to random places to get the correct data from the spinning disk. Usually measured in milliseconds, so the end user might not even notice the difference between an HDD and an SSD, but the lack of drive noise will be apparent.

I think the HDD I bought for the PS3 was SATA 3, but does that have nothing to do with that since you were talking about the SATA board and not its HDD?

That's why I asked if the PS2 would take full advance of a SSD. Maybe even the PS3 wouldn't? And what if modifying the PS2's and the PS3's IDE/SATA boards, would they take?

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
When talking about the drive containing the games, are you talking about the PC's HDD?If so, will it transfer games at the lower speed, i.e., the PS2's HDD's speed (assuming it's slower than the PC's HDD)? So, we have to take into account the PCs HDD's write speed and the PS2's HDD's write speed?

That's why I asked because I thought the PS2 wouldn't take full advantage of the SSD because the PS2 is old (maybe even the PS3 wouldn't). What are random seek times and after all it wouldn't be as slow as the IDE (if it has Sony's Network Adapter, I guess)/SATA bus (if it has the chinese network adapter, I guess)?
Yes, I was talking about the PC's HDD (or an external HDD connected via USB, etc.). I don't think you really need to worry about this though, it'll take the time it needs. The positive thing is that likely you'll only need to do this once, the next time you want to add a new game, the needed time will be much shorter

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, I was talking about the PC's HDD (or an external HDD connected via USB, etc.). I don't think you really need to worry about this though, it'll take the time it needs. The positive thing is that likely you'll only need to do this once, the next time you want to add a new game, the needed time will be much shorter

Yes, assuming I don't find dozens of games to add on the next time. I'm asking this because I'm worried FTPing (or whatever the transfer "method" is) a game to the PS2's HDD would take a lot of time (I guess), so imagine 2 TB of games.

I also wanted to download a lot of PS1 games so 2 TB might not be enough.

Reactions: Snomannen_kalle

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

So, just to be sure, the transfer speed would depend on the PC's HDD's write speed and the PS2's HDD's write speed? And if the games were stored on an external HDD connected to the PC, the transfer speed would depend on the PC's HDD's write speed, on the PC's external HDD's write speed and on the PS2's HDD's write speed? What about the internet speed? Would there be other factors involved?

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So, just to be sure, the transfer speed would depend on the PC's HDD's write speed and the PS2's HDD's write speed? And if the games were stored on an external HDD and connected to the PC, the transfer speed would depend on the PC's HDD's write, on the PC's external HDD's write speed and on the PS2's HDD's write speed? What about the internet speed? Would there be other factors involved?
There's probably more stuff, but I'm really not the correct person to answer this question as I'm mostly making assumptions here; I don't know the details on how the different computer software installs games on a PS2 HDD and what might influence the process

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There's probably more stuff, but I'm really not the correct person to answer this question as I'm mostly making assumptions here; I don't know the details on how the different computer software installs games on a PS2 HDD and what might influence the process

Why is it faster transferring files from the PS3 to PC via FTP than the opposite and is it faster transferring files from the PS2, PSP, PS Vita and PS TV to PC via FTP than the opposite too?

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Why is it faster transferring files from the PS3 to PC via FTP than the opposite and is it faster transferring files from the PS2, PSP, PS Vita and PS TV to PC via FTP than the opposite too?
I have no idea. I guess it must have to do with read vs write speed of the drives involved. Here is a post on Stack Overflow that details these things if you're curious

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Dark_Phoras @ Dark_Phoras: The concept is a Dungeons n' Dragons game come to life, and the party are 80s teens. They have...