Fatal

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know about modding PS2s? I want to mod my slim PS2, and I am wondering what kinds of mods are out there. I dont want to do anything serious to the machine.
Serious as in what no opening? no soldering? There are many different ways to mod a PS2, modchips, swap discs, you can even boot off a hard drive (not really recommended, not perfect compatibility and you need an adapter for slim ps2s)
If you don't want to open the case then you can get a swap magic disc and a tool to open the disc tray while the PS2 is on.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you can go with swap disk method, and if you want to get serious you can try no solder mod chip or hd advance
then finally wired mod chip which i have to say are pretty much the way to go but are pain in the ass (18-21 wires on tiny ass bios pad) should really leave solder mod chips to someone who knows how to solder. also if your ps2 version needs laser fix dont forget to install it also.

USB Extreme is trash, not all games load, movies and music skip like crazy (total waste of money)

if your doing solder chip then go with DMS4($40), Matrix Infinity ($40), Duo 3 Gold ($15), Crystal chip ($15)

I personally like Duo3 gold and Crystal chips, because its cheap and works great for backups.

Tenkaichi

Trophies
Website
www.livejournal.com
XP
Country
United States
I personally use Swap Magic (disc)... Since you have a flip top cover slim PS2 and I'm assuming "serious" means you might not want to solder anything, that's probably one of the better ways to go. I think you have to open the casing up (at the very least), I had a friend do it for me so I'm not *quite* sure where the pieces go...

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
heres what you pretty much have to do for solder mod chip alot of pain in the ass because points are so tiny, it takes about 1 hours.

Crystal chip on sph-77001

ps2top.jpg
ps2bottom.jpg

swap method is nice, i did have problem getting that long tool in so i also opened my ps2 to tape down switch, but once you get a soldered chip it makes life easier.

D

Deleted User

I've modded my ps2 two times (changed chip on the way), and it caused me some headaches. Modding my wii was a lot easier.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Does anyone know about modding PS2s? I want to mod my slim PS2, and I am wondering what kinds of mods are out there. I dont want to do anything serious to the machine.

Serious as in what no opening? no soldering? There are many different ways to mod a PS2, modchips, swap discs, you can even boot off a hard drive (not really recommended, not perfect compatibility and you need an adapter for slim ps2s)
If you don't want to open the case then you can get a swap magic disc and a tool to open the disc tray while the PS2 is on.
Boot off a hard drive is not recommended? I actually play alot of games off of the hard drive, it does not damage your PS2 as much, on top of that it will also save your laser. Some say the compatiblity is bad, however, those unplayable games are the ones I don't want to play. Most popular games are compatible. On top of that, the loading time is almost not there. Hard drive mod should definately be considered.

tetsuya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I recommend you get some one who's experience to do it for you. I had no problem moding my friend gamecube and xbox, but when it came to the ps2 I had to gave him me ps2 cause those small pins were just to small.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free