Wannabe Shirow Miwa...
OP
Trophies
Website
yuukouken.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
So I was thinking of modding my ps2(fat) w/ either free mcboot 1.8 or a fliptop case and swap magic
First off, which is better in general
Second for free mcboot - how would I play a japanese game, I know about ESR, but I don't know exactly how it works or how to do it
Third - If i do free mcboot - i need an AR max w/ the media player - where can I get one of these - if I decide to go free mcboot
and Lastly how would I play a region free game using swap magic - would it be the same as any other backup?

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, first question, FMCB is much much better than swap magic. Why? Because using ESR, you NEVER have to swap disc.

Second, You play a japanese game the same way you do any other backup games. Here's the thing, US and J games are both NTSC, so there's nothing special to be done. However, if you want to play a PAL game, you would need to use the Y-fix, since PAL games are shifted vertically.
If you have the actual DVD, you would need to make an iso out of it, use the ESR patcher to patch the iso, and burn it. Note that you NEED to ESR patch every single iso before burning it to have ESR recognize the game and run it (it takes a second to patch an iso, literally ^^). Use Imgburn at 4x to burn games, I would use DVD-R for PS2 phat. The best media is Taiyo Yuden, but I'm using TDK since Taiyo isn't available widely...Try to get japanese made ones as they TEND to be better.

Third, you don't necessarily need an AR max, I for one, use Gameshark 2 v1.13, but compatibility with the gameshark is kinda iffy, so unless you got the exact same version I used, I can't guarantee it'll work. You can also use codebreaker V8 and above. You can get any of these at your closest store, like gamestop or something.

Like I said, get FMCB into your card, and you never have to worry about swapping or even unscrewing your PS2, it's a safe way to mod your PS2 without breaking any warranties.

Here's a list of what you need if you do decide to go with a FMCB install:
- A cheat disc: AR max, Codebreaker V8 and up, or certain versions of gameshark (I would get a codebreaker as it's the cheapest, plus any version above 8 should work...the key here is that the cheat disc must support USB drives)
- A PS1 game (Must be a retail game, this is used as a trigger disc to boot independent exploit)
- A USB drive
- A Sony memory card with as much free space as possible, I recommend a fresh card with nothing on it...
- Independent exploit files, and FMCB 1.8b noobie package

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dude, you don't have a gamestop by you? impossible...0.o

and purplesludge, doing your method would mean removing the front plate of the tray to use the slide tool right? In my case, I had to break the plate off since it wouldn't pop off XP the only time I use slide tool now is for PS1 backups XD

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm, that's very odd...have you tried calling them? sometimes their website isn't accurate. In my case, I checked their website for a codebreaker, but when I called, they apparently only had gameshark 2, and their site didn't even list that they have it...Other than that, try some other stores that deal with trading/selling games.

But hey man, that AR Max Evo would definitely work, although at that point, it's probably cheaper to go with a swap magic XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...