Gaming PS2 iso over OPL network still lags?

thiefraccoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my question is regarding opl (open ps2 loader) for ps3, using swapmagic 3.8

I've fairly easily got the USB loading to work, whether by a penstick or hard drive.
I enjoyed playing few ps2 games, but on most games the videos lag horribly.

so I searched around, and read that running to games over network (SMB) will eliminate the lag.
mostly all PS2 users with OPL said that. But I assumed it would be reduce the lag on PS3 as well.

(There are three methods.
1. USB. easy to work with and good compatibility, but limited speed because of USB 1.1. it will be USB 1.1 speed whether you're on PS2 or PS3
2. Internal HDD. impossible on PS3 without Cobra dongle.
3. Network. should be fast.)

So I tried the network way, and got the games to load on OPL game list (I was so happy!)
but the lags persist as if they're still running on USB 1.1 speed.

Am I doing something wrong? Is OPL network method for PS3 stuck on USB 1.1 speed? Is CECH01 PS3 not really backwards compatible?

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country

I've fairly easily got the USB loading to work, whether by a penstick or hard drive.

so I searched around, and read that running to games over network (SMB) will eliminate the lag.
mostly all PS2 users with OPL said that. But I assumed it would be reduce the lag on PS3 as well.

1. USB. easy to work with and good compatibility, but limited speed because of USB 1.1. it will be USB 1.1 speed whether you're on PS2 or PS3

So I tried the network way, and got the games to load on OPL game list (I was so happy!)

Am I doing something wrong? Is OPL network method for PS3 stuck on USB 1.1 speed? Is CECH01 PS3 not really backwards compatible?

openps2loader isn't for ps3.

edit: Just googled and it is.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Make sure you are using a wired connection using cat5e or cat6(preferable) cables.
That being said, cobra dongles is worth it if you want to play ps2 on ps3.

thiefraccoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are running both through ethernet?
what do you mean both? my set up is like this.
PC + ethernet cable + router + ethernet cable + PS3

Make sure you are using a wired connection using cat5e or cat6(preferable) cables.
That being said, cobra dongles is worth it if you want to play ps2 on ps3.

is there a reason to believe that these ethernet cables i got with these routers
are not cat5 or cat6?
do you think it's worth it to order some cat6 cables online?

[EDIT] I checked and they're all cat5e cables. So that's not the problem.

[EDIT] Ok, so has anyone done this over the network without lag, on PS3? If you have, could you tell me whether your PS3 was backwards compatible or not, and possibly the model?

akari212

Trophies
XP
Country
PS3 on PS2 Mode. Basically all specification of a common PS2 hardware will be emulated also, including USB and Network

In PS3 everything is OK but in PS2 mode there are changes:

- PS3 1Gbit network will be limited to 10mbit
- USB 2.0 will be limited to USB 1.1
- WiFi is disabled
- SD/CF/MS Memory Card slots are disabled
- You will be signed out on PSN

But a 10mbit network speed wont gain that much with USB 1.1 that had 12mbit speed.

Reactions: 1 person

thiefraccoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS3 on PS2 Mode. Basically all specification of a common PS2 hardware will be emulated also, including USB and Network

- WiFi is disabled

But a 10mbit network speed wont gain that much with USB 1.1 that had 12mbit speed.

so there's no way for me to play PS2 games on PS3 lag-free?
(again, it plays fine. Just lags a lot on videos and slow loading. I could live with the slow loading.)
And people who say PS2 games wont lag on PS3 if played over network don't know what they're saying?

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't you burn them to a DVD-R? Hassle, sure, but sounds better than laggy movies.

I'm assuming modded BC PS3's can play PS2 copies. I know you can play PSX copies on modded PS3, but mines not BC, so I really don't know about PS2 on it.

akari212

Trophies
XP
Country

- WiFi is disabled

(again, it plays fine. Just lags a lot on videos and slow loading. I could live with the slow loading.)
And people who say PS2 games wont lag on PS3 if played over network don't know what they're saying?

CobraUSB, they had a special over-the-network loading game built-in without loosing the 1gbit speed. And also, storing them on PS3's internal HDD will also save you from random lagging on the game.

Cobra USB's PS2 backup loading is excellent, once you use it, you may not complain to it anymore. Although native .iso formats are not supported, you need to convert them to supported CobraUSB disc images, just like in OPL.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PS2 games on PS3 should not lag. They don't on my PS2; so obviously there's something bottle necking the speed and you have to find what that is.

thiefraccoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't you burn them to a DVD-R? Hassle, sure, but sounds better than laggy movies.

I'm assuming modded BC PS3's can play PS2 copies. I know you can play PSX copies on modded PS3, but mines not BC, so I really don't know about PS2 on it.
I could. But PS3 needs special modding of the case (and the blueray drive itself) to "swap" CDs.
I don't know if I'm up for it, since I have not been able to find a guide for that. All I found are bunch of youtube videos showing people using it, but not how to mod it.

- WiFi is disabled

CobraUSB, they had a special over-the-network loading game built-in without loosing the 1gbit speed. And also, storing them on PS3's internal HDD will also save you from random lagging on the game.

Cobra USB's PS2 backup loading is excellent, once you use it, you may not complain to it anymore. Although native .iso formats are not supported, you need to convert them to supported CobraUSB disc images, just like in OPL.
I'm thinking about it. I would like to figure out the casing modding thing (so that I can swap burnt PS2 DVDs in swapmagic) and if I'm up for it.
Just to be safe, do you know what's a reasonable price for a real Cobra dongle? $40?

PS2 games on PS3 should not lag. They don't on my PS2; so obviously there's something bottle necking the speed and you have to find what that is.
Are you running the games off of legit DVDs? burnt DVD? FMBC and OPL network? Fat PS3 with internal HDD? As far as I know, I think PS3 can't run PS2 games off of its internal HDD.

akari212

Trophies
XP
Country
@[member='Magsor']

the @op is using a backup loading (close for iso loading), and lagging may cause if you use a USB or LAN to load your backup games. using a Network card with HDD will save you a lot from lagging.

@thiefraccon

I dont think that opening your PS3 blu-ray drive just to run burnt games is a good idea. to give you an idea, you will need a game that had high ToC, for example the burn game you had there sizing around 3.6GB, now you need a Original PS2 disc higher than that. But for sure you have your SwapMagic disc there as your ToC disc since it had high ToC library.

And also, buying a cobra that cost around 23$ vs opening your PS3 BD Rom and broke it will spend you another 20$ + Labor for installation. For sure, Ill just buy a Cobra USB instead of opening my PS3. It also gives a lot of option like loading a PS1 iso and PSP iso too.

@all

beginning FW 4.00 all Swapmagic no longer works on PS3 so you have been warned. PS3 will identify it as data disc or sometimes unknown disc in Game Category.

thiefraccoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='Magsor']

the @op is using a backup loading (close for iso loading), and lagging may cause if you use a USB or LAN to load your backup games. using a Network card with HDD will save you a lot from lagging.

@thiefraccon

I dont think that opening your PS3 blu-ray drive just to run burnt games is a good idea. to give you an idea, you will need a game that had high ToC, for example the burn game you had there sizing around 3.6GB, now you need a Original PS2 disc higher than that. But for sure you have your SwapMagic disc there as your ToC disc since it had high ToC library.

And also, buying a cobra that cost around 23$ vs opening your PS3 BD Rom and broke it will spend you another 20$ + Labor for installation. For sure, Ill just buy a Cobra USB instead of opening my PS3. It also gives a lot of option like loading a PS1 iso and PSP iso too.

@all

beginning FW 4.00 all Swapmagic no longer works on PS3 so you have been warned. PS3 will identify it as data disc or sometimes unknown disc in Game Category.

thanks for your response.
what is network card with HDD? if it's hard to explain in english, a link to a product will suffice

akari212

Trophies
XP
Country
what is network card with HDD? if it's hard to explain in english, a link to a product will suffice

Network Card expansion is only applicable on all Phat Models only. So If you had this kind of PS2, you can buy a Network Expansion, this Expansion requires you to install a IDE Hard Drive. And this will HDD loading on PS2 roles on.

I tested it as highest as 500GB IDE HDD and it works, stored over 300 PS2 games on it.

thiefraccoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Network Card expansion is only applicable on all Phat Models only. So If you had this kind of PS2, you can buy a Network Expansion, this Expansion requires you to install a IDE Hard Drive. And this will HDD loading on PS2 roles on.

I tested it as highest as 500GB IDE HDD and it works, stored over 300 PS2 games on it.

Oh so it's for Phat PS2... I need help with PS2 games over OPL running on PS3 that has 4 USB ports, and is backwards compatible but without the emotion chip.

bialy_gibson

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why don't You try to search/ask on official Open PS2 Loader forum:

http://psx-scene.com/forums/official-open-ps2-loader-forum/

BeemerDream

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

I´ve tried the latest OPL daily builds this week and the lag is gone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then