Gaming PS2 games on PS3 - Hard drive installs

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I was faffing about on my American PSN account (using my $4 change from Legend of Dragoon to buy some dynamic themes) and I found the PS2 system data which is saying you can install certain PS2 games directly to the PS3's hard drive now. However, I couldn't find anything of the sort on my UK PSN account. So here's my question, or rather short selection of questions.

1) Would the system data from the US store work on my PAL system?

2) What games can this be done with so far, and do they have plans to expand the roster?

3) Will it recognise my hacked PS2 discs, as they're essentially identical to the actual game discs?

4) My system is one of the old 'fat' models, the 80GB hard drive original. Is this even possible on my system as I noticed it said something about it only working on certain types of system but I have no idea what those numbers mean.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PS2 System Data is for some PS2 games that originally make use of PS2 HDD, such as Final Fantasy XI, SOCOM II, and SOCOM III.

It does NOT mean you can copy every PS2 games onto PS3 and load them from HDD. Only some NTSC 80GB PS3 can play PS2 games via software emulation, no PAL 80 GB PS3 can play PS2 games.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm pretty sure that he's referring to the new PS2 Classics that can be downloaded from PSN. As trumpet said, only the first models of the PS3 had PS2 disc compatibility. However, the very first 2 models, that were not released in Europe from my knowledge, had hardware emulation instead of software emulation which had much better compatibility.

The only way to play almost any PS2 game on a PS3 now is to use hacks. You can exploit the emulators found in PS2 Classics similar to how you can inject roms into Wii VC games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/a93F-EEw6HM?si=tUXuLXhXiWUsmIIv