PS1/2 PS2 Fat Softmod - I Have a Few Questions...

wildfire95

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is what you are wanting.

Take note though that you will still need a PS2 swap disc (legitimate game which is used to fake the PS2 out into thinking the next inserted -- backup -- disc is an original) which is pretty much the same thing (if not worse) than Swap Magic (which either way will require you to force the tray open to swap w/o the PS2 knowing.

As for compatibility I noticed a problem sometimes with stuttering and locking up on games (possibly if it tried to read outside the TOC of the swap disc) did occur every now and then.

Dermy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The latest version of Free McBoot is v1.8.
Go here then hover over Installation and click AR Max. Btw, the action replay you linked to should work because it says Max Media Player on it. This tutorial will tell you how to get the FMCB installer to run. Once it is running, go back up to the top and click User Guides --> Noobie and follow that to install FMCB. Once you have FMCB installed, use ESR to boot burned games, no swapping need. Games need to be patched before burning. There are a bunch of other things you can add or tweak too if you look under the ps2 apps and configure settings tab on that website.

wildfire95

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
l Red l said:
Go here then hover over Installation and click AR Max. Btw, the action replay you linked to should work because it says Max Media Player on it. This tutorial will tell you how to get the FMCB installer to run. Once it is running, go back up to the top and click User Guides --> Noobie and follow that to install FMCB. Once you have FMCB installed, use ESR to boot burned games, no swapping need. Games need to be patched before burning. There are a bunch of other things you can add or tweak too if you look under the ps2 apps and configure settings tab on that website.

What is ESR? What do i use to patch games?

Thanks by the way, i appriciate you helping me out. :D

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There are different methods to install FreeMcBoot. I think the one you are trying is via independence exploit. The requirements for this are: A ps2 not older than ???(all FAT ones should work), some software to copy savefiles from/to usb, and a compatible ps1 game. I don't know what ps1 games are compatible, but i think most are.

Some of cheat programs allow to run .elfs directly over some media player option. I don't know any more details about this, i don't have such a program.

Anyways, all you need is some way to run .elf files, then you run the FreeMcBoot installer .elf, and from this point on all guides are the same.

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
wildfire95 said:
l Red l said:

What is ESR? What do i use to patch games?

Thanks by the way, i appriciate you helping me out. :D
ESR makes the burnt copy look like a DVD video instead of a game

wildfire95

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
http://freemcboot.psx-scene.com/armax.php

This guide doesnt mention a "trigger" disc, would it still work ? If i followed the guide and it worked and i ended up with FreeMCBoot on my memory card - what do i do now to run those backups?

Sorry about all the questions, im just.. confused.
moogle.gif

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
wildfire95 said:
http://freemcboot.psx-scene.com/armax.php

This guide doesnt mention a "trigger" disc, would it still work ? If i followed the guide and it worked and i ended up with FreeMCBoot on my memory card - what do i do now to run those backups?

Sorry about all the questions, im just.. confused.
moogle.gif
Ok then the cheapest way out is with usbextreme with the uLaunchELF ISO from here http://freemcboot.psx-scene.com/hdloader.php its a lot less mucking around with trigger disks and having to put on exploit to PS2 card then run the ulaunch elf anyway

wildfire95

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
USBExtreme? aka. USB-Advance?
Doesnt that only have 50% game compatability? Im fine with running the explot via Memory card if needed, and im clear up until i have installed FreeMCBoot, but after that what do i do to run the backup games?

I just want a clear.. and complete guide. Which goes through everything from loading the exploit to running the backups.

Thanks again!

EDIT -
http://freemcboot.psx-scene.com/esr.php
Do i run this app after installing FreeMCBoot? & then just run my backups?

wildfire95

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay, im nearly done :D

Just gotta piece it all together..

What i need -
Action Reply Evo
Memory Card
FreeMCBoot
PS2

I install the softmod, then run the app ESR, then insert my game disc and play away? & does freemcboot come up always when i boot up my PS2 after its softmodded?

Are you sure i dont need a PS1 disc?

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
You use ESR patcher on your PC to PATCH ISO you have created from 1 of your disks a simple drag and drop on the app and its done within seconds
You have to purchase a disk anyway to get the exploit onto your memory card anyway i suggested Usbextreme so you didnt need to go through the PS1 trigger disk method you just load UlaunchElf from a fat32 hard drive http://freemcboot.psx-scene.com/hdloader.php the Ulaunchelf.iso is here
You put the image on the hard drive with USBExtreme.exe which you can find under PS2 /HDD at SKSapps
once you start ulaunchelf you can navigate your usb hard drive where you will have Freemcboot files ready to install just click on the install and within minutes the exploit is on your card

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
wildfire95 said:
I install the softmod, then run the app ESR, then insert my game disc and play away?
Most people set ESR to autoboot (or assign it to a button, so when they turn the ps2 on they hold down that button) so they just put game in and start the ps2 up.

QUOTE said:
& does freemcboot come up always when i boot up my PS2 after its softmodded?
You can choose what you want freemcboot to do at boot time - go into the ps2 system menu (but with added options), run an homebrew app (ESR, ulaunchelf, hdloader or anything else).

Are you sure i dont need a PS1 disc?
there are various ways of installing fmcb - check out the "install" section at http://freemcboot.psx-scene.com/

I find the AR/Codebreaker way the cheapest and easiest - they are usually available for less than a couple of £/$/€.

wildfire95

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay, thanks mate! :D

So, what i will do is use this guide - http://freemcboot.psx-scene.com/armax.php
& buy the EVO edition of the Action Replay, since it has the Max Media Manager, that will mean i wont need a PS1 trigger disc since i will have the Max Media Manager for that.

Then i just install the FreeMCBoot 1.8 ELF file, then the reccomended applications, go into the settings and set it up so ESR to auto-boot.

Then i just get my backups, patch them, burn then @ 2.4x-4x speeds then load up the PS2 and wola my backup disc will run :D

Do you see any errors/faults in that method?

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
wildfire95 said:
Do you see any errors/faults in that method?
Nop, although when I use discs I tend to burn at around 8x for best results (verbatim MCC/TY) - burning at 2x-4x is mostly an old wives tale.

Also check the bargain bins at currys/dixons - I find a couple of copies of the AR for 50pence each in there, and loads of xploder pro for the same price.

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taiyo Yuden is definitely the best choice, although you might find it rare, with all the fakes out there too...

Then Verbatim made by CMC using MCC id code, I steer clear of Verbatim because there are too many manufacturers, so you have to be careful of which you're getting.

TDK is pretty good too, I use this brand currently, just because it's the most convenient to stock for me.

Dermy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get this and this before the install. When you are copying all of the files and folders to your usb drive for FMCB, extract the BOOT.ELF from uLaunchELF_v4.40.zip put that in the APPS folder that comes with FMCB. Then extract the ESR beta r9b dvdv direct.elf from ESR beta r9b.rar, rename it to ESR.ELF and copy it to the apps folder. When you run the FMCB installer these files will be copied to the memory card.

Here is the patcher you need for games.

Other notes: I burn at 4x if that matters. And if you have another memory card without saves on it, use that one for the install. If you only have one then use ar max if you can to back up your saves to your usb drive. And FMCB will run as long as the memory card that is installed on is plugged into the ps2.

Check this guide out for more custimization for fmcb.

wildfire95

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
l Red l said:
Get this and this before the install. When you are copying all of the files and folders to your usb drive for FMCB, extract the BOOT.ELF from uLaunchELF_v4.40.zip put that in the APPS folder that comes with FMCB. Then extract the ESR beta r9b dvdv direct.elf from ESR beta r9b.rar, rename it to ESR.ELF and copy it to the apps folder. When you run the FMCB installer these files will be copied to the memory card.

Here is the patcher you need for games.

Other notes: I burn at 4x if that matters. And if you have another memory card without saves on it, use that one for the install. If you only have one then use ar max if you can to back up your saves to your usb drive. And FMCB will run as long as the memory card that is installed on is plugged into the ps2.

Check this guide out for more custimization for fmcb.

Seems like you know your stuff
wink.gif

Does it matter which region the backups are? E.g. could i play NTSC backups on a PAL PS2?

Dermy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wildfire95 said:
Seems like you know your stuff
wink.gif

Does it matter which region the backups are? E.g. could i play NTSC backups on a PAL PS2?
Uhhh...I'm not too sure about that one. I only use backups from my region. Umm...google? Or does anyone else have experience with out of region backups?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."