PS1/2 PS2 fat quiet fan mod w/ noctua fan

cybermat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is there a picture of how you placed the very long cable ? If i round up around the fan the final cable is too short, if i leave "free" is too long...

Daoxer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, not really. I've always just stuffed it in there. Its not going to impede airflow or cause any other problems.

Daoxer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is great WeAreVenom. Thank you for your order. I did see your question about sending your PS2 to me, but didn't reply yet. I am not wanting to install these. The process isn't that bad. If you have any questions about the installation my email is on an insert in the package. We also have an installation manual available that has a ton of pictures. Just shoot me an email and I'll send it over. Alternatively you can check out the install video done by TheGameTinkerer. It gives you a very good idea of what you'll have to do. I'll repost that below:

Reactions: WeAreVenom

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got one of these in the mail. Dead silent and fit fine in an SCPH-39001. Only potential issue here is CFM as I don’t feel like this fan is putting out as much air as the stock fan and I am not sure how much the PS2 needs to cool properly.

I do plan to run FreeHDBoot on it using a modern HDD so the ramp up for the HDD initialization should boost the fan speed and thus CFM higher.

OlivusPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
I dug out my PS2 for the first time in a while the other day, and with it now being in a small room with hard surfaces, the fan noise was unbearable. A Google search later and I found this, which I promptly ordered from eBay.

Very glad that a solution like this exists for techno scrubs like me. I prefer to not make permanent changes to my hardware/games, and my soldering skills are very rusty, so this plug-in solution is ideal. The guide for installation in particular is clearer than plenty of other hardware disassembly guides I've seen.

The result is virtually silent, with a very very quiet hum. In fact, it's very strange now booting up the PS2 without it sounding like it's going to detonate. I've played games for a couple of hours or so without any temperature issues too, with the console feeling about the same warmth throughout.

In my eyes, this is an essential mod for anyone still playing on a fat PS2.

Reactions: Daoxer

edwoodjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Daoxer My modded fan mod stopped spinning. I replaced the noctua fan and still not spinning. Any idea how to fix this. Where can i buy replacement converter fan cable? I did buy it from amazon.

Last edited by edwoodjr,

iVirtualPlays

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It needs to be the 5v version, otherwise, the fan will run at half speed, since there isn't enough voltage being supplied to the 12v fan. Remember people cooling always comes first.

Daoxer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Daoxer My modded fan mod stopped spinning. I replaced the noctua fan and still not spinning. Any idea how to fix this. Where can i buy replacement converter fan cable? I did buy it from amazon.

Thanks for contacting me. Please let me know if your replacement adapter has any issues.

Reactions: Woxinum

Woxinum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for contacting me. Please let me know if your replacement adapter has any issues.

Hello Daoxer,

I have a PAL SCPH-30004 and when I use internal HDD with OPL the original fan start spinning faster. I was wondering if the Noctua fan will do the same ?

datapagan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Well its been a few months and the poster before asked for the files probably for free, I am showing interest in paying for his design, because we don't all live in America

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by zfreeman,

Daoxer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello Daoxer,

I have a PAL SCPH-30004 and when I use internal HDD with OPL the original fan start spinning faster. I was wondering if the Noctua fan will do the same ?

Yes, the Noctua fan will act the same as the OE fan does as its hooked up exactly the same way as the OE fan.

Doaxer, any plans for selling the STL on a service like cults3d?

You still get rewarded for your work

There are no plans to sell or give away the STL file probably ever. I've been 3d printing for nearly a decade now, and have developed products for much longer than that. Nearly every single person that I know of who has sold or given out an STL file has eventually found their own product being printed and sold by someone else on ebay, etsy, or some other place even if there is policy in place to prevent this. This product has taken quite a bit of time to create, and when I (or customers, thanks guys!) find tweaks to improve it, they are made to make it even better. This is a lot of effort to just give away. I feel for you guys overseas. Shipping is quite pricey. Unfortunately, I just can't trust people to not steal the design. :(

Reactions: Snomannen_kalle

datapagan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, the Noctua fan will act the same as the OE fan does as its hooked up exactly the same way as the OE fan.

There are no plans to sell or give away the STL file probably ever. I've been 3d printing for nearly a decade now, and have developed products for much longer than that. Nearly every single person that I know of who has sold or given out an STL file has eventually found their own product being printed and sold by someone else on ebay, etsy, or some other place even if there is policy in place to prevent this. This product has taken quite a bit of time to create, and when I (or customers, thanks guys!) find tweaks to improve it, they are made to make it even better. This is a lot of effort to just give away. I feel for you guys overseas. Shipping is quite pricey. Unfortunately, I just can't trust people to not steal the design. :(

Thanks for the response, its completely understandable and I would do the same if I spent hours and money on a design all myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup